Peep sight for a Mark II?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yaworski

Bearcat
Many years ago (ca. 1996), a guy in my club had a Mk II with a rear peep sight. He had just replaced the blade with the peep sight blade. I commented on it and he told me that he had gotten the rear sight from a Ruger XXXX, drilled the hole out a bit, and everything worked well.

I didn't follow up then but the idea has been kicking around in my mind for years. Problem is that I don't remember what gun was the donor of the peep sight. I'm thinking that it was a rifle.

Any ideas of which rifle would use a rear sight that I fit to my Mk II?

woodsy

Blackhawk
It has been my experience/knowledge that a peep sight should be as close as possible to the eye. That's assuming the effects of recoil being avoided. Since there is so little recoil from a Mark 2, one could have a peep a fraction of an inch from the eye and be safe. I installed a self-made peep to my 10/22, extending it back about two inches from the original sight, and it works wonderfully. Therefore I question the wisdom of a peep on almost any handgun, assuming said gun would be used conventionally. When a handgun is traditionally held for firing the rear sight (of whatever kind) is at least a foot away from the eye.

"Therefore I question the wisdom of a peep on almost any handgun, assuming said gun would be used conventionally. When a handgun is traditionally held for firing the rear sight (of whatever kind) is at least a foot away from the eye."
IMHO, this is 100% correct.^^^
When I was shooting competitively, we used 'peep extensions' to move the rear aperture as close to the aiming eye as possible. Look at the guys shooting AR's in competition. They crawl way up the stock until their nose is touching the charge handle in order to get as close to the rear sight as possible.

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
I put a large aperture rear sight and a white bead front on my LCRx 3. It has significantly increased the range which everyone who shoots it can make accurate hits on the 10" plate.
Contrary to what others on here are saying, you don't need a peep sight to be close to your eye to work. You simply need to increase the aperture as you increase the distance from your eye. I've witnessed a lot of bad form at competitive shoots from ill instructed shooters. Sight base extensions serve two functions. 1 to increase the sight plane. 2 to accommodate an eye cup attachment which keeps stray light from hitting your eye and focuses it through the aperture.

When I shot 600 yard jackpots after a match, I had a piece of 1/2" copper pipe that I affixed from my from my rear to my front to keep stray light completely out of my sight plane. Bought a new truck using that set up.

Dan in MI

Staff member
It's more of a ghost ring than a peep. I have used it successfully on hogs. Nice quick sight acquisition. Your eye naturally wants to center the post. Here is a mocked up picture (I just quickly swapped rear assemblies for the pic) and a view of the sight picture.

I haven't really played with it much. I used a friend's gun on the hog hunt and bought the pieces to make my own, but have not played with it. From what I did use of it I see no reason why it wouldn't be a great gun for playing around too. That is one of this summers things to do.

IMG_5270.JPG
IMG_5274.JPG

Latest posts