PC carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Anyone for an M1 Carbine?

I'll brag about being LUCKY with mine. I got it multiple decades ago. It was a sixty
year old . . . brand new gun! It is/was from IMI and they had gotten a BUNCH of
M1 Carbine surplus parts (as parts, not as completed weapons). They put them
together and it is a gem! Rings the gong (12") ten for ten at 100 yards, off
hand. - - - - Sometimes it pays to be LUCKY!

P.S. Got it for $400.
P.P.S. Wish I had gotten TWO. :shock:

LDM

Blackhawk
Picked mine up yesterday. Have a TruGlo red dot sight that my LGS mounted for me. Since I don't own any other guns that take the Ruger or Glock double stack mags, I'm leaning toward going with Glock as they seem to have better availability and extended capacity. Will give it an initial cleaning in the next couple of days and then try her out.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
i picked up a older pc-9mm # 470-167xx in a group buy allowed 200.00 for it, it looks in like new condition. it came with no magizines and i got two after market magizines and one refused to feed but the other one worked, running 200 rounds GI hardball with out any ftf-fte. the store gave me another one, will try it this week end. to me it seems well built(like a tank) and i may put a compact 2.5x scope on it. i didn,t put it on paper, small rocks and soda cans to about 70 yards were hit when i did my part. i do think it,s a little heavy for the 9mm cartige.

mpalm said:
I agree that Ruger needs to build a P series Ruger mag well adapter. There are millions of the old guns&magazines out there

Can you point me to those millions of magazines. I've been looking for some for my PC4GR and all I can find are 10 round factory magazines. Would like to find some high capacity mags.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
COSteve said:
After some thought I've decided that a carbine that's limited to about 100 yds just isn't what I want. I did some ballistic evaluation of both the 9mm and 40s&w calibers and found that sighted in at 100 yds, a 165grn 40s&w full power hot load would drop some 3' (1 yard!!) out at 200 yds based on ballistic data and my own chrono data.
So, I've cancelled my PC 40 order with the gunshop.

Correct. Very few people would select a 9mm or 40s&w for shooting over 100 yds. I use a Ruger Deerfield or a Ruger .44 Carbine (.44 magnum) that I think is good to 200 yds.

Mobuck said:
all I can find are 10 round factory magazines.

That's cause no one really wants those.

My PC4GR was a like new LE trade in when I bought it. All the magazines that came with them were 10 round factory mags. Surely someone made high capacity mags for the P91/PC4 but I've not found any so far. I have found P94 mags but Ruger says that P94 mags will not work in the PC4.

9x19

Hunter
P94 mags worked fine in my PC4... but the pre/post ban mags were only 11 rounds.

Aftermarket mags, regardless of capacity were hit or miss. Those from MecGar were the best, with anything from Triple K coming in last.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
yes . The P91/P944 pistols all share the same mags as the PC4. (Police Carbine/40cal)
The original mags were all 11 rounds.(1992-1994)
10 rounds were all the factory made after the 1994 Assault weapons ban
Mags are plentiful. Ruger.com still sells brand new ones for $39.95,of course they are all 10's

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I bailed out my PC9 last week and have put about 100 rounds through it. FMJ and plated are very accurate, reloads with my own lead bullets not so much. Like most 9x19 guns, the PC9 looks to have a very short leade into the rifling. This works well with jacketed and plated, not so much with lead. I'm planning to have the leade recut to provide a more gradual transition into the rifling. My 9mm pistols are all very accurate with lead bullets after receiving this treatment.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've put around 250 rounds through my PC so far. It really likes 115 grain FMJ bullets, very accurate with those. Still working on finding a cast load that works well, I suspect this will be easier once the barrel gets good and broken in from a bunch of jacketed rounds. I did have DougGuy in North Carolina hone the throat of the barrel for me, which should help.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ok, some progress and challenges. Tried the carbine with 3.8 grains IMR Target/Lee 356-120-TC today, a load that my pistols do great with. Absolutely horrible, many of the rounds didn't even strike the target paper! Those that did were wandering pretty good.

Trudged back to the house and rolled up the same load with the Lee 358-125-RF, which works great in every 9mm/.38/.357 Ive ever tried it in. A dozen were sized .357, a dozen sized .360 which is what I use in the Marlin .357. Instant improvement, the .357's were shooting almost as good as the 115 grain jacketed. The .360's seemed to go wider, as the the rifle seemed to be trying to go back to wandering zero, however I also noticed the forend had worked its way loose by this time. It is secured by only a single screw, guess I need to loctite it. More research is needed!

BABore

Bearcat
I've been using a MP 359-125 PBHP cast from WW's, sized 0.3574, and coated with Hi-Tek or powder coated. CCI 500's and HS-6 powder. 10-Shot, 50 yard groups run right around an inch. Have a Burris 332 sight mounted.

Pull a couple bullets from loaded rounds and make sure your not losing diameter from too small of an expander, alloy, or the use of a Lee factory crimp die.

I had no issues getting fine accuracy. My carbine does seem to like 115-125 grain cast over heavier bullets.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks. I expand my cases with the Lyman M die, and use only a mild taper crimp. I loctite the forend screw pretty tight to remove that variable. Im going to try the 358-125's sized .357 and .358 next.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I was planning to slug the bore of my carbine today but didn't have the right size fish sinker to do it. I did mic some bullets though. The Lee 356-120-TC (which the carbine does not like at all) came in at an average of .356. The Lee 358-125-Rf and Arsenal Molds 359-130-Rf both came in around .3585. I have read that Ruger 9mm bores tend to be large. So, it makes sense that the carbine would do well with the latter two.

Latest posts