Painting fixed sights on a Mark II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerFan1911

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversary edition that I won at an auction. I really like the gun, but I'm wondering if possibly painting the front sight might be of help? I would like to
use it for a Bullseye league. I have a little trouble picking up the front sight against a black bullseye at 50'.

Just wondering if any of you have tried painting the sight and what paint/color you would recommend?

Thanks

RugerFan1911 said:
I have a Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversary edition that I won at an auction. I really like the gun, but I'm wondering if possibly painting the front sight might be of help? I would like to
use it for a Bullseye league. I have a little trouble picking up the front sight against a black bullseye at 50'.

Just wondering if any of you have tried painting the sight and what paint/color you would recommend?

Thanks

I'd bet a bunch of money that we have all painted the front sights on a handgun at one time or another. The best color is whatever color works best for you. White just happens to work best for me, and I'd bet also it's the most used color for highlighting a front sight.

Experiment and have fun.

A note...I have yet to find any paint that remains permanently on the sight, so ya need to decide what color will work best for you and keep a little bottle with you for touch ups.

WAYNO.

Snake45

Hawkeye
What Wayno said. :wink:

Degrease the sight thoroughly with lacquer thinner, alcohol, etc, then paint it with Testor little bottle model paint. (I like the Chevy Engine Red.) Use a gloss color--it will last a long time. You can "flatten" the gloss paint by rubbing it with a pencil eraser after it's thoroughly dry (which can take a couple days). Repeat the eraser treatment as necessary. Repaint when it wears off. Keep cleaning solvents and oils away from the paint or they'll remove it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928037/birchwood-casey-super-bright-touch-up-sight-pens-neon-green-and-red

This works good for me. I like green best. last fairly well and easily removed with nail polish remover (acetone)

eveled

Hawkeye
Every thing Snake said, but I'll add to use a base coat of white then the color of choice. Use a tooth pick instead of a brush. I like to find a way to balance the gun upside down until the paint is dry, that way the paint doesn't run down the sides of the sight.

Also if the sight is too tall, rather than file it down, just paint up to the point that you want to line up with.

22001_zps958f18af.jpg

Dan in MI

Staff member
I quit using any white or flo colors. Back when I could see really well those colors would not allow a crisp sight picture. They would kind of glow in a radiant cloud at my sight edges. A prominent smith nearby by told me he had heard from a opthamologist told him years ago that a combination of sky blue and flat egg yolk yellow makes it easiest for your eyes. I know it sounds weird but I painted my read blue and front yellow and it is one of may favorite guns to shoot.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Rumrunner said:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/928037/birchwood-casey-super-bright-touch-up-sight-pens-neon-green-and-red
This works good for me. I like green best.
I second this one. I have had it on mine for several years.
BIG difference.

I also use the white on the rear sight and then lightly brush it off.
That leaves the rear sight looking gray for a contrast with black targets.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have gotten to the point that I mainly cut a strip of orange or green from an adhesive backed target dot and stick on my sights...I can peel it off when I want and it sticks pretty well.

I never do anything with the sights on my carry guns as if I do need them, there will likely be no time for aligning sights..I will just have to look down the top of the barrel...and this is how I practice with them, also.

raw6464

Bearcat
Busterswoodshop said:
Fingernail polish works good.
That is what I have always used. You can get just about any color you want.

Ditto on the nail polish... economical and easy maintenance and color galore. DON'T take the existing paint off the sights.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Been doing something similar as to how Smith & Wesson revolvers were sold with the red-insert in the front sight blade, back in the day. This insert shows up much better in a dimly lit indoor range station than the fiber optic sights do, and does real well outside. The serrations in the insert face remove any chances for glare.

The fluorescent orange and green show up the best when installed as inserts.