PacNW Holster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Condor1970

Bearcat
As I peruse Ebay looking for an adequate holster for my new GP100, I have 2 problems.

1. I need a holster for a 5" barrel.

Such a venture is not unlike trying to find a 5-leaf clover.

2. I need a holster that can withstand very wet weather, and not be ruined by the rain we get up here. All these nice leather cowboy holsters would be destroyed in no time with our environment. I really want something that won't stain or rot. Something I can throw in the wash after a hike/hunt. The only answer in my mind is to just go cheap, and get a black nylon holster. The only issue, is I wish I could find a black nylon holster that has a flap over the top, to cover it, like an old WWII 1911 holster. This would at least help in keeping it from getting totally soaked the whole time I'm on a hike.

Any suggestions other than the cheap $20 Pro-Techs?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Since you mentioned such harsh conditions, have you considered a Kydex type holster? I know you won't find one with a flap, but you can get one to survive most abuses. And they fit into your general price range.

Condor1970

Bearcat
Yes, I actually just got a Blade Tech holster for the range matches, but wanted something that holds and protects it better. Something that would help against abrasions when traversing heavy brush, etc. I figure, it would be a good sidearm for my fishing/hiking trips, etc. Sometimes I go off the beaten path, and was thinking something made of padded nylon, with a flap over the top might be best, but have never seen such a thing.

The one big issue I dislike about nylon holsters is the lack of shaping like leather, and also those terrible metal belt clips. I wish I found one with dual hard plastic belt loops, like a kydex holster, but lined with padded nylon, and a flap.

It's kind of a tall order. :?

I may end up just buying a cheaper leather holster, and chopping the bottom for a 5".

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Don`t underestimate the durability of leather. It has been used for hundreds of years in the NW. I live in SW WA state and carry nothing but real leather.
Have you ever seen a cow standing in the rain? How did the skin look? Proper leather care and treatment is the answer to making it last.
Archeological digs in the middle east have uncovered Roman sandals that were still pliable and they were made in biblical times.

Major T

Blackhawk
The Bianchi catalogued is for 4" models. Properly treated leather will last a l o n g time. El Paso Saddlery makes several flap models made to order in the $130 range. Good stuff.

Jack

BearBio

Buckeye
1. K-frames will fit a G! holster. Might check out one. Ruger might, also.
2. El Paso is undoubtedly the best but pricey.
3. Pacific Canvas makes holsters for Victory models in leather and for 1917's.
4. There are lots of British and Canadian issue holsters. I also live in Washington and bet what's good for Canada would work here.