P97 problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grumpy74

Bearcat
Bought a P97 and am having misfire problems. As I shoot the first round will fire then the next round hammer will fall and not fire. I then pull the hammer back squeeze and fire. Next round fires just fine then next round I have to pull hammer back squeeze and fire. No dent in rounds from firing pin. I don't know diddly about these pistols but it acts like I am decocking.

I only put about 30 rounds through it.

How about a clue anyone.

roylt

Hunter
The round feeds OK but single action is not engaging?

When this happens can you shoot double action?

roylt

Hunter
Maybe the slide is going back just far enough to "grab" the next round but not quite far enough to make the hammer cock?

Sorry I don't have more for you.

tech4064

Bearcat
Did you buy the gun new, or used?

Does it happen with both magazines?

Check your recoil spring. If one end of the spring is larger than the other, make sure the larger end is toward the muzzle end of the gun.

Are you using factory loads? If so, does this happen with different brands of ammo. or just one?

Grumpy74

Bearcat
Bought the gun used. Two owners. Last one said it fired perfectly for him.
Factory loads.
I also was guessing not a full recoil , not quite fully forward.
Yes it did it with both mags.
Did not have it apart to reverse the spring however previous owner may have. Will check it. The good thing is the guy that sold it will buy it back ifI would like.

Thanks for the tips.

tech4064

Bearcat
Did not have it apart to reverse the spring however previous owner may have. Will check it.

While you have it apart, you might want to clean it and make sure the slide rails are properly lubed, just in case that is part of the problem.

Let us know if you get it straightened out.

Al James

Hunter
After checking the above ideas google "limp wristing a pistol" and make sure that you are operating the pistol correctly. There are not many P97's out there and the ones that are usually function 100%. Good luck and let us know if you get it figured out!

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
My vote, who ever you bought it from disassembled it...maybe why they sold it, and did not get it back right. Even my bet does not make total sense, but it sounds like your trigger block is not UNBLOCKING after the first shot. The block is activated by the blocking lever, which is activated by the trigger being pulled back. The hammer can fall but the firing pin is being blocked. The blocking lever is activated by the sear, trigger group, and the ejector plate (all interact) if not reassembled (or broken) correctly, there may reside your problem...but does not explain the first shot being OK, except you are removing the mag and reinserting it...that may be resetting the ejector plate allowing the blocking lever to reengage.

As you can tell, from here I am grasping straws...Good Luck!

Might be tough, but picts of the frame internals, the slide etc.

roylt

Hunter
Grumpy74 said:
The good thing is the guy that sold it will buy it back ifI would like.

Are you friends with him? Maybe simply ask him to shoot it. Limp wrist is probably the issue but I have not gotten any P-gun to do it personally. Took a friend and his 16 year old daughter to the range last week and she shot my 97 just fine. I think she shoot the most out of all of our group.

Good luck.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Maybe I read the OP wrong, but I read that the first shot is OK, the second shot "drops" the hammer (thus it is in the cocked position), but no Bang. Seems the Hammer cocks into SA, but the firing pin does not reach the primer. Grumpy...am I reading that right?

Grumpy74

Bearcat
Yes I believe you are reading it correctly. I will probably put some more rounds through it to make sure I know exactly what the malfunction symptom is. I did by this from a friend and he said no worries we will make it right. I had heard all good things about this model so I also it is something simple to fix.
Limp wrist? Really? .... Really? That will be hilarious if it is. :roll:

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
I am not seeing limp wristing as this problem, but who knows? If the slide is cycling adequately enough to cock the hammer (and eject the spent shell and chamber a new one, which I read as it is doing OK), then it is not limp wrist. If the slide were not fully cycling and not cocking or producing ejection problems, then I can see that as a reasonable thing to look at.

Al James

Hunter
Grumpy74 said:
Yes I believe you are reading it correctly. I will probably put some more rounds through it to make sure I know exactly what the malfunction symptom is. I did by this from a friend and he said no worries we will make it right. I had heard all good things about this model so I also it is something simple to fix.
Limp wrist? Really? .... Really? That will be hilarious if it is. :roll:

The term "limp wrist" sounds like an insult, I know. I didn't mean it to be an insult. You would be surprised how common of an issue that it is with polymer guns.

Anyhow, I reread the op and realized that I misunderstood what the problem was. I'm still confused as to what is actually going on with the gun based on what was written. Less eye rolling and better use of your grammar, punctuation and vocabulary skills might help resolve your issue faster. :wink:

P90

Single-Sixer
Still sounds to me like the Recoil Spring is in backwards. Measure the inside diameter of recoil spring and put the largest end towards the muzzle of the gun.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I'd suggest blowing the firing pin channel and trigger blocker out good with Gun scrubber or plain old carb cleaner . No need to take the bolt apart. A drop of Breakfree on the trigger blocker and make sure it's moving freely and then reassemble using P90s suggestion of making sure the Recoil spring is installed correctly. Had a similar problem with mine when it was newer.
BT

Latest posts