P95dc, not firing double action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CBH

Bearcat
This is right on schedule, I sent it off around March 27 and was told to expect a 4-6 week turn around time. Besides cleaning the rest of the paint out of it, the following items were replaced: decock lever spring; ejector, pivot assembly & spring; firing pin & spring; hammer pivot pin; left & right mag latches; mag latch spring. I will not get to shoot it until Monday, but am pleased to have it back. $78.00 parts and labor, $50.00 shipping...I now have twice the amount of money in it but it should be reliable and trustworthy.

I guess the holster and high capacity mags will have to wait a while longer.

The folks at Ruger, from the security guard at the front gate (he answered the phone one Saturday) to the service reps and techs, were all friendly and helpful. I appreciate their efforts.

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
COFFEE POT":1jelko72 said:
That last description is the key. It sounds as though the firing pin block may not be getting out of the way all the time. There is less hammer travel in DA than SA. therefore less hammer energy. The timing may also be off. Try this. Remove the rear sight, from left to right. Check to see if there is a burr on either the firing pin block or the firing pin. If there is, remove said burr. you may have to remove the firing pin if the burr is on it. I can walk you through that if necessary. I don't like to say it, but this situation really should be handled by the factory. You may need a higher trigger bar. I'd call them and see if they'll cover it under warranty and send you shipping box and call tag. At least the call tag. Shipping is expensive these days.

Curious. I have the opposite problem with a P95DC. Recently, I've been able to shoot a mag or so of rounds, then it stops firing in SA mod. *click* is all I get. If I pull the trigger again (DA mode), it fires. Doesn't do it all the time, and will fire a mag or 1.5 mags after a cleaning before it fails to fire in SA mode again.

I wanted to take a look at the fire pin as described above, but couldn't get the rear sight to budge. Do I recall correctly that heating it up is the trick after removing the screw?

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
No, do not use heat. Use a bigger hammer. It is a very tight intereference fit. Actually, most of the time, if it doesn't fire SA, it's a timing issue that you can't do anything about anyway. Apparently yours is marginal and only malfunctions when it gets a little fouling in there. Hate to say it, but you're better off to send it in. Don't clean it, send it in as it is when it malfunctions and put a detailed letter with it explaining the malfunction occurs after a few mags.

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
COFFEE POT":2x9q8su8 said:
No, do not use heat. Use a bigger hammer. It is a very tight intereference fit. Actually, most of the time, if it doesn't fire SA, it's a timing issue that you can't do anything about anyway. Apparently yours is marginal and only malfunctions when it gets a little fouling in there. Hate to say it, but you're better off to send it in. Don't clean it, send it in as it is when it malfunctions and put a detailed letter with it explaining the malfunction occurs after a few mags.

Thanks for the advice, Coffee Pot. I'll try different ammo and if it continues, I'll just have to send it in.

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
Went to the range today to experiment with this problem. Shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi through it without a single problem. My P95 loves Fiocchi! Switched to the American Eagle, and it went through one mag without a problem. Then, as if on schedule, 12th round of the second mag was a misfire. Not a scratch on the primer, and then would fire the same bullet in DA mode. There were probably 5 misfires out of the fifty.

Note to self: stay away from American Eagle. Stick to Fiocchi!

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
Something doesn't sound kosher here. If it's a timing issue, which ammunition you used would be irrelevant. If Winchester USA, Remington UMC and CCI Blazer (Aluminum case) are available in your area try those, too. There is nothing about Fiocchi ammunition that would separate it from any of the others. Nor is there a common problem with Federal's American Eagle. There is one other thing you may try. Make sure that when you clean the gun, you use a good lube on the rails such as a light grease. That polymer is not self-lubricating. Oil generally is insufficient and breaks down on the molecular level especially in hot weather. When the gun is fired, depending on the powder used, it will put various loads on the rails. Different manufacturers use different powders, therefore you can get a different impulse loading. Insufficient lubrication can make the gun more picky on what it likes. Give that a try and keep us posted. The gun should be able to eat just about anything.

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
Received word. Ruger wants to charge me $80 to repair the gun. So much for their warranty. They said the part that needed to be fixed was a "wear" item and was not covered by the warranty. Bastages. Even the warranty on my Hi-Point is better.

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
They sure have changed since I was there. There was no such thing as a 'wear item' when I ran service. The warranty was pretty well absolute. Personally, I'd call Joe Cramer (service manager) and complain. It isn't right.

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
And the verdict is...

They replaced the blocker bar/lever. $80 for part/labor, plus $50 shipping through my local gun shop.

Oh. the part cost about $9.

That was an expensive lesson. I'm bothered that this wasn't covered by the warranty. The Ruger rep said dry firing could wear out the part. Go figure.

COFFEE POT

Bearcat
What a crock of hooie!! That's a downright lie!! Dry firing will NOT hurt a P95 unless they've redesigned the system recently. Personally, I'd call Joe Cramer and if you don't get any satisfaction from him, go all the way to the top, to the CEO. Write a letter or go to the wbsite. There's a place to do it on the website. Make a big stink. It's not right !!

RiverCity.45

Bearcat
Well, looks like I wasted some money. Last weekend I took the gun to the range and it worked fine for about 100 rounds. Then, the problem reappeared - half the shots won't fire in SA, but with a 2nd trigger pull, will fire.

:evil: :x