P95DC Malfunction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seecamp

Bearcat
I have an un-fired round stuck in the chamber of my P95DC and couldn't get it out. Unfortunately I went to field strip strip it thinking I could get the slide off for better access to the round.

I removed the Mag and released the lever that folds forwards and down to allow stripping (part V00910). I then pulled the slide back and removed the slide release rod/lever (part V03713-10) and attempted to remove the slide, it would not travel more than a couple inches forward. I then moved the slide back and it locked into and will not move at all now.

I'm stuck.. Any suggestions?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ii7h8li1wnuc4m8/Ruger%20P95DC.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsz1ckk8hhwqj1l/Ruger%20Parts.jpg

TN.Frank

Bearcat
You can't take the slide off of the gun unless you move the extractor bar(guess that's what they call it) to the forward position and to do that you need to rack the slide back and lock it open. If you could do that you'd not have a round stuck in the chamber,LOL.

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
I am a 13 year volunteer at a Missouri Dept of Conservation. I often see odd jams. If I have a live round chambered and cannot manually get the slide back (usually the chamber is dirty) -- often the best idea is to wait for "commence fire" and shoot it. Now if you're sitting at home that is not an option. Otherwise, I use a rubber mallet to whack the front of the slide to try to loosen in up. Keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger!!! Once again, at home this might not seem to be a great option. The key is finding a safe place to do this.

seecamp

Bearcat
Ashlander, take a look at the pictures - you will notice that the slide lock is removed from the pistol. I don't think it's a good idea to fire it this way. What do you think?

Ashlander said:
I am a 13 year volunteer at a Missouri Dept of Conservation. I often see odd jams. If I have a live round chambered and cannot manually get the slide back (usually the chamber is dirty) -- often the best idea is to wait for "commence fire" and shoot it. Now if you're sitting at home that is not an option. Otherwise, I use a rubber mallet to whack the front of the slide to try to loosen in up. Keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger!!! Once again, at home this might not seem to be a great option. The key is finding a safe place to do this.

seecamp

Bearcat
Yep, pretty funny little situation I find myself in. Took it to a gunsmith and he's never seen such a quagmire LoL

TN.Frank said:
You can't take the slide off of the gun unless you move the extractor bar(guess that's what they call it) to the forward position and to do that you need to rack the slide back and lock it open. If you could do that you'd not have a round stuck in the chamber,LOL.

TN.Frank

Bearcat
I just wonder how it's stuck? If it's a round that has a longer then normal OAL then the bullet is wedged into the rifling and maybe a wooden dowel down the barrel tapped with a mallet might push the bullet back into the case enough and out of the rifling to get it unstuck.
If it's an over size case then we have different issues. I wonder if you can at least get some WD40 sprayed into the primer area to kill the primer. That way it won't be a live round you're dealing with and it'll be a bit safer.

roylt

Hunter
You just need the slide off. Try to feild strip process again and let us know what happens. The extractor may be holding the round too so you will have to over come this issue some how.

Good luck and post pictures.