P95,My first pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jslshooter

Bearcat
P95 was my first poly 9 and still remains my only poly 9. I've had the others as well (Glock,XD,M&P) but sold them all and kept the P95. I hate spongy triggers (that includes SR9) and I love DA/SA hammer fired pistols. My P95 rocks!

tovisitor98

Bearcat
I shot 150 rounds today with the Hogue slip on grips on, the gun fit my hand much better. I was alittle more accurate and had no failures even with a box of Korean PMC ammo that I picked up at a gun show in FL. That ammo smoked alot and the gun was much dirtier than after previous trips to the range.
I'd like to give plug to A&H gun shop in Port Charlotte FL, they were great to a newbie from NY who they knew was unable to by pistol in FL. They answered a lot of questions without being condescending. The $10 I spent there seemed as welcome as the guys buying guns.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
pistolpete said:
2 FTE. I assume you are referencing failure to extract? If so keep an eye on the extractor tension. You might need to increase the tension.

Good advice but this being the first time the OP has fired a pistol it might be ahead of his ability a little bit, specially if it requires disassembling the slide. :shock:

Probably the grip since P95s never fail. :wink:

Good point. Start with the simplest fix first and then progress. I always bring up the weak extractor thing becasue it was a problem I had. Interestingly it was only the WWB that the extractor would fail to pull out. I never did have a fte with the UMC. Anyways sound's like it was more of an ammo issue with this guys gun.

Beeno

Bearcat
I just purchased a P95 on Monday. Can't wait to go the range on Saturday! What a long week it has been. I like the feel of the P95 more so than the Glocks. They felt small in my hands.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
ZVP said:
I have decided on this model for my next Ruger and the more I read, the more I hear the words absolute reliability assosiated with the P-95!
I am glad to hear such information as this will be my primary armament for Home and self defense.
I am not familliar with 9mm guns so what ammunition would you folks suggest for best operation and stopping power?
ZVP

For practice ammo I would recommend Winchester USA (commonly known as Winchester White Box...abbreviated as WWB) 115gr FMJ. It usually runs about 20$ /100rds at Wal Mart and I have yet to see a gun that doesn't work reliably with it.

For defensive ammo your options are limited only by your wallet. I use Black Hills 124gr JHP +P ammo, but any of the high-pressure (that is what +p means, just in case you were wondering) jacketed hollow points should work well. Make sure you try enough of your defensive loads in your gun to be certain they are reliable. The P95 has a great reputation (and it is well deserved) for feeding reliably with almost any brand of ammo, but since you plan on using this stuff for serious purposes, you should shoot 50 to 100rds thru the gun to test it out.

If you really are tight for money you can certainly use your WWB practice ammo as self defense ammo. Many folks get caught up in the merits of hollow points vs FMJ. There is plenty of truth to the argument that hollow points are better, but the fact is that a well placed FMJ is better than a badly placed Hollow point. So, if for some reason all you can get is WWB (or something equivalent) then go ahead and use that.

Good luck.

ClayinVA

Bearcat
Congrats on the new gun. I bought a P95 as my first auto a bit over 2 years ago. Once I learned how not to limp-wrist it the only ammo I have ever had an issue with was cheap Czech stuff. Other than that it seems to eat everything, and is plenty accurate for my skill level. Its kind of like an Energizer bunny of guns - not necessarily sexy, certainly not expensive, just keeps going and going and going...

I put a Hogue slipon on it a few months ago, and thought it made a positive difference in how the grip feels.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Congrats and Welcome to the forum!

My KP95PR was my first firearm purchase and remains my only handgun for the time being. I love mine and went to the range this weekend. As far as reliability goes, I'd say mine is ~99% reliable. Nothing is ever perfect but as close to perfect as possible, works for me.

Holster ideas:
I carry in a Serpa CQC. Being from LA, I mostly OC. I hear good things about the Supertuck which I think is going to be my next holster purchase. I have an Uncle Mike's Nylon for CC but it just isn't comfortable to me. I also have a Fobus which is good for CC because it is strictly passive retention. No button or strap to fumble with while retreiving from cover.

Some friendly advice if your going to carry:
Buy a good comfortable holster. Learn your pistol inside and out. Practice your draw constantly. Know where your gun is and how to get to it quickly. Keep your head on a swivel. Think before you draw, especially living in NY.

Good Luck and Happy Shooting.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I recomend Georiga Arms new manf.Speer Unicore Bonded 124gr +p hollow pionts .You can get a 100 pk of these for just under 50 bucks and right now they have free shiping .A box of 20 Remingtion Golden Sabers 124gr +p's will run you at least 30 bucks .The balistics are almost idintcail . The G,A . rounds are moving at 1200 feet per second ,thats real close to 125gr .357 mags .Heres their web address www.georgia-arms.com .
I use their ammo in my 9 MM ,.40 S&W and my .45 ACP .iT'S GREAT AMMO AT A GREAT PRICE!!!!!!
And by the way Welcome to the forum ,
Lou