P95 Crack? Brand new gun, should I worry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

greatmoose

Bearcat
Kinda blurry picture, but you get the gist. It's a perfect quarter circle, not really a crack, but does go all the through that little post by the extractor arm. Oh, it's a brand new, never been fired gun. Cause for concern, or essentially just a blemish?

crack.jpg

Edited for better picture

roylt

Hunter
I'm not seeing anything to worry about but if it is new take it back and let the shop tell you what they think. Ask for a trade.

greatmoose

Bearcat
It was a transfer (Buds). My brain tells me not to worry about it (after all, it IS a Ruger), but on the other hand, cracks in a slide are a little scary. I don't THINK anything will ever come in contact with that little post anyway, so that's what makes me think it's just a cosmetic thing.

droski22

Bearcat
Just bought this gun as well. Have yet to shoot it yet. But mine has the same line same spot as you show in you picture. So maybe that's just the way it's ment to be.

I don't like it. I'd see if you can send the picture to Ruger and get their official in writing opinion on it. Cracks in cast metal are not good. My KP95, which is 5 or 6 years old, does not have that.

roylt

Hunter
It is hard to say if a crack could cause a problem. If you look at the older guns they didn't have that little up and down piece over the extractor. (p89) But like blume said e-mail ruger and see what they think.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I wouldn't accept that.........a casting blem, sure, some of my Ruger wheelguns have them.

A blemish would be a little crater, polishing flaw, little dent, etc. Not a crack!

But a crack in the slide near the extractor? Even if it's harmless, it would always be in the back of my mind.

It's one thing if you're "issued" that gun, like for a security company, PD, etc. You just use it and drive on..........

But I would not keep a brand new gun that I paid for that had a crack like that. I work too hard for my $330, I would make Ruger fit a new slide to it.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
Any crack or possible crack in metal is unacceptable. The slide is being jarred and stressed as it cycles and if that is a crack it could get worse fast. For your peace of mind you should have them replace it.

calee

Bearcat
I don't don't believe that's a "crack". Non-machined areas of castings commonly have inside corners where slag may gather during the casting process. The tumbling and deburring process that follows may clean out the inside corner leaving it unsquare. If you have a magnifying glass and bright light you should be able to see if,in fact, there is a crack in that radius-ed corner. Just my nickel's worth, good luck.

greatmoose

Bearcat
Ruger is taking a look at some pictures I sent, I'll let everybody know what they say. I don't think it's a "crack" anymore; i got out some drafting tools, and it's a PERFECT semi-circle. I think it's a casting error, but it does go all the way through that little post. I looked at my P89, and it doesn't even have the post at all, so maybe it's just a decorative thing (since the guns are so similar).

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I'd have to see that from the inside to really make up my mind, but I doubt it will heal itself with time, and it certainly isn't likely to get any better.

Rest assured, you get that taken care of and the P95 will treat you well for life. Max return on the dollar.

greatmoose

Bearcat
Well, got a response. Pretty much what I expected. Quoth I:

"Thank you for sending us your pictures. After evaluation of pictures sent we would have to say this is normal and with in our factory standards, this will not affect the function of the firearm in anyway. "

So there. I sent a followup asking what causes it, haven't heard back. My guess is left over wax from the casting process.

rooger

Single-Sixer
My P95 DC (manufactured around 2001) does not have any hint of a crack or blemish in that area. I shot many rounds through it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It is a stress riser in a sharp corner. I'd probably shoot it well, and at the first indication of it propagating (growing), send it back letting them know it is progressing.

Liquid Penetrant inspection would be a best-practice to see if it progresses past the visible "end". If there's a qualified NDT shop in your area, I'd have it checked the right way.