p89/95 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chris1

Bearcat
Hello all. I am in the market for about a dozen p89/95 mags and I am looking for where the best deal around is for multiple mags at a time. I am pretty convinced that factory mags are definitely the way to go, but I will listen if anone tells me that another type is ok to use also. Thank you in advance for your help.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Chris1":2s34rv8r said:
Hello all. I am in the market for about a dozen p89/95 mags and I am looking for where the best deal around is for multiple mags at a time. I am pretty convinced that factory mags are definitely the way to go, but I will listen if anone tells me that another type is ok to use also. Thank you in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forums :)
Mec-Gar magazines are good to go as well.

Regards,
Greg

Chris1

Bearcat
Pistol Pete, PM sent about mags. I am not looking for IDPA reasons. Call me paranoid or a hoarder, but I don't like to own a gun unless I have at least 5 mags for it and preferably twice that number. Since I plan on a p95 in addition to the 89, the mags being interchangeable is a huge plus.

Either factory or MecGars are the way to go... I'd stay away from most others... you really don't save that much. If you aren't in a hurry then set your maximum price per mag and just wait... they come and go both at internet stores and here and other forums in the classifieds.

You realize once you get the P95 the next item on your list will be a PC9?

Chris1

Bearcat
Well it looks like i have found the 12 mags that I am looking for from private sellers here on this site. The 12 new ones plus the 2 that come with the p89 and 2 more with the p95 when I purchase it should be enough for now. Assuming everything goes well I will leave feedback about the experiences with them when the transactions are complete unless they request privacy.

Blume - I have looked at the pc9 and it is a neat looking gun but not my style. My girl really liked the p89, so if she likes it once the hogues are on it, she may take ownership of it which would leave me looking for a replacement for it. We'll see. I think that a p89 w/ a p95 as backup is pretty much the ultimate setup since they are compatible with eachother. If she likes them both, then I will be shopping all over again for another round of p series pistols. I know that the pc9 is the perfect way to round out the set for magazine compatability, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Chris1,

All I can tell you is that a couple years back my wife and I ended up in a very close WTSHTF situation and were going to have to pack a small backpack each and hike out and away from our house... major natural / weather disaster...

I chose two P95s and the PC9 to go with us.

The P89 is 'okay' but I really prefer the P95 myself, specifically a stainless steel decock only. Of course the one I like the best I bought brand new off a guy who just did not like it as well as his P89.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Why don't you just buy a bunch of springs. Little bit cheaper than a bunch of mags. If you have 4-5 mags and double that number of springs you would seem set for awhile.

dubstewart

Bearcat
OK, you mentioned springs for the mag. Do the springs wear out, break of what? Someone told me not to leave my mags loaded. Were they right?

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
dubstewart":38jxe533 said:
OK, you mentioned springs for the mag. Do the springs wear out, break of what? Someone told me not to leave my mags loaded. Were they right?

This is how it went for me: My new mag where a BBBB to get 3-4 shells in, I loaded both up with 14 rounds and let them set for 4 or 5 days. Next I removed the shell , and reloaded 1 mag up-It was easyer to load now, some! You could tell the difference!
My ideal is to have 1 loaded up in gun for a week to 10 days, remove shells put shells in the emply mag for the next 10 days . Rotate!! Some say you have less chance of the mag springs weakening over time this way. Do what you think is best for you . :p
I had to edit to be clear

Mike J

Hunter
My understanding is that springs don't wear out from being compressed or extended the cycling is what wears on them. If you leave your magazines loaded they will take a set & become easier to load but I would think loading & unloading would actually cause more wear.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
dubstewart":2fo7h2rb said:

YES they do wear out. Quite frequently. Most people say its the decompressing compressing back and forth that does it.
Personally I don't know nor care why they wear out.
But some folks like arguing about it.

But they do wear out, trust me.
You will notice cartridges being very easy to load, and not popping up real fast when you try to unload a mag.
Then if you pull off the baseplate you will see the springs has got shorter.
That is wearing out.
Real easy to put a couple dollar spring in and the mag is like new.
Never figured out why someone buys 100 mags when they could buy 100 springs for a fraction of the cost, the bodies don't wear out usually.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":3t9mwodb said:
dubstewart":3t9mwodb said:

YES they do wear out. Quite frequently. Most people say its the decompressing compressing back and forth that does it.
Personally I don't know nor care why they wear out.
But some folks like arguing about it.

But they do wear out, trust me.
You will notice cartridges being very easy to load, and not popping up real fast when you try to unload a mag.
Then if you pull off the baseplate you will see the springs has got shorter.
That is wearing out.
Real easy to put a couple dollar spring in and the mag is like new.
Never figured out why someone buys 100 mags when they could buy 100 springs for a fraction of the cost, the bodies don't wear out usually.

Because you can't "load" springs with ammo...

JeepVideo

Bearcat
blume357":3l38ggyi said:
You realize once you get the P95 the next item on your list will be a PC9?

I'd love to get a PC9. Only problem is whenever I see them up for sale the asking price is $600+

Love the fact of the mag interchange and possibility of high-capacity mags. Right now I think I may be left with the Hi-Point 995 as the only alternative... decent warranty but I just wish it had more high capacity magazine options available.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I gotta say the springs in my Ruger p95 mags are the toughest springs I've had in magazines. The Beretta mags I've had where relatively easy to load 15 rounds, as where the glock, smith and wesson, etc I've had, but these ruger mag springs are stiff. Seems like a lot of people buy a ton of mags thinking the springs are going to wear out, but they don't worry about any of the other springs in their pistols, which get way more wear than the mag springs. I say get a ton of mags because you want to shoot up a storm before you have to start relaoding mags. Or if you think capacities over 10 rounds are heading for the endangered species list.