P345 owners?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob G

Single-Sixer
I like the looks of the P345 it sure is slim at 1.23''. Can anyone who owns one please comment on how they function? Or should I be holding out for a .45 in the SR series?

9x19

Hunter
Mine runs great with all ammo I've tried... from 165 Pow'r Ball to 230 FMJ.

RKP345DPR.jpg

flgolfer29

Bearcat
Mine has run without issue once I installed the slide spring in the right direction. Narely a hic-up. I enjoy shooting it more than the 1911...

Bob G

Single-Sixer
It's funny, there doesn't seem to be much chatter in this forum about the P345. I've come to like polymer frame firearms. I was a dyed in the wool 1911 guy (former USMC). I'm still partial to them, but can no longer ignore the practicality of modern materials. It's nice to hear from you guys who like your P345's, but I would also like to hear some negatives, or else I might have to own one.

bowfita

Bearcat
Try a search on the P345, there have been other threads recently.

Its my favorite range gun, and is becoming my favorite carry as well. It is flat like a 1911 and except for the longer barrel, carries better than my PX4 Sub Compact. I only have 200-300 rounds through it, but they have been flawless through a mix of "whateverisonsale" and Win. Ranger +p.

I've rented 45's from HK to Kimber to Glock and XD, and for $400 there cannot be a better .45 out there imho. It is relatively small and lightweight compared to XD or FN especially, with very manageable recoil.

I also really like the trigger. I find that the DA pulls smooth and can be staged or pulled through with ease. For range work this is really nice.

Downside #1: Although I certainly like the thin-ish grip I actually don't care for the feel. But, added the Pachmyer and its perfect. I recommend not getting a full-size rubber grip. I find that sliding my thumb between the rubber on the grip and the holster causes my thumb to hang up if that part of the grip is covered with rubber. This particular rubber "glove" is for the XD.

Downside #2: I think whoever designed the take down process is a masochist. You need three hands. I'm still trying to work out a system. Compared to a PX4 it is medieval.

2010_12220002.jpg

rman

Bearcat
They're great guns - accurate, reliable and easy to shoot well. I'm on my 3rd one now. When they first came out, I bought a stainless safety model. Then I found a stainless decocker. In a moment of temporary madness, I traded them off. I just found a slight used blued safety model for a good price yesterday and brought it home with me. This one is staying!

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Personally I prefer the hammer, decocker and safety on the 345. I have seen AD's with striker fired pistols. I like one in the pipe and double action first shot. I have never carried my 1911 cocked and locked for safety reasons. This Ruger 345 was the answer to my safety concerns(they could have omitted the mag disconnect in my opinion, check the forum on that subject). As stated by myself and others this 345 is a great handgun, very well made for carry, home defence, and recreational shooting.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
I like the looks and the feel. The DA on mine is almost impossible to use, the first shot - if DA - is a throwaway shot for me. The SA has to be gotten used to. If you have other pistols the 345 in SA feels like it's broken, but does have a nice let off. I was hoping for a .45 version of my P95, with a better grip frame, and almost got it. It is at Ruger being repaired. The trigger stopped functioning in DA, with about 500 rounds through it. I think the take down is easy, I have several different kinds of pistols and it's no more difficult to dismount then most of the rest. Ruger didn't pioneer the polymer frame, but I believe it's the only pistol with a frame so tough it doen't use steel inserts for the slide to ride on.

carolinacummins

Single-Sixer
Love my 345, only issue I have with mine, is that the slide will release itself whenever I run a fast mag change, the force of it I guess? Out of all the times it has done so, it has never failed to pick up a round on the way forward. Just bugs me a little, my P90 and 97 never do that. It does not affect reliability in any way though.

Ragdog

Bearcat
I bought my first Ruger Black Hawk .357 Magnum in 1958. Still have it, and it has always worked perfectly. Bought my P345 last year, and only wish I could stick around another 50 years to enjoy it, too.

Flash

Buckeye
Bob G said:
It's funny, there doesn't seem to be much chatter in this forum about the P345. I've come to like polymer frame firearms. I was a dyed in the wool 1911 guy (former USMC). I'm still partial to them, but can no longer ignore the practicality of modern materials. It's nice to hear from you guys who like your P345's, but I would also like to hear some negatives, or else I might have to own one.

I agree somewhat but I'm not quite where you are with polymer guns however, I've managed to aquire a few lately and the 345 is one. It fits my hand like a 30 year old C cup and shoots extremely well. This is one I'm keeping.
I also own a P95 and a 22/45 that I'm not too sure about. :oops:

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
Got my first back when they first came out, ended up selling it to a friend who was getting out of service. Got a blue one a couple of years ago, added night sights and it's been a charmer. NO complaints at all. Recently picked up another SS to go along with it. Still, no complaints!
IM001309.jpg

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have a few 45 Cal. firearms. My Ruger 345 is the only gun that reliably feeds semiwadcutter ammo, as well as round nose and hollow point. There is something about the balance of the 345 that makes it feel much lighter than it is. Along with the thinness, this gun is amazingly easy to carry and conceal.