p345 misfire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sbasta

Bearcat
I am new here, and to owning guns. I have been shooting for years, but never my own. I recently aquired my first pistol, p345. It is about 7-8 years old and had only 75 rounds through it - so I have been told. I did clean and oil this gun before I shot it. I took the gun out to test it and put 135 rounds through it. I had about 10 misfires (firing pin hit, but not hard enough to fire the pistol), 3 of which fired after pulling the trigger again. Any suggestions on what this problem is and something that could help me not have this problem again? Thanks in advance for your advice.

airwin

Bearcat
For me it sounds like the hammerspring is too weak, maybe someone replaced the original hammer spring? You should also check if the firing pin sticking out long and strong enough. You can test it with holding the gun vertically to the top and insert a pencil into the unloaded gun barrel. If you cock the hammer and pull the trigger, the pencil has to jump out about 1 yard or more. Also, the impact at primer of the empty case should be deep, should be a decent dimple.
I wish you good luck in troubleshooting the defect. ;-)

airwin

Bearcat
And please do not forget when dryfire a P345, always put in a magazine!! Otherwise the firing pin will not work and the gun can be damaged!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
airwin said:
And please do not forget when dryfire a P345, always put in a magazine!! Otherwise the firing pin will not work and the gun can be damaged!

It sounds like that has already happened, that pistol needs to be fixed. The OP should contact Ruger.

sbasta

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for your responses. I shot a pen out of it 5 times. Every time it flew about 2.5 yards (7-8 ft.). Could the ammunition have something to do with it? I was shooting federal champion .45 auto 230 grain. It did leave a pretty good dent in the primer. I dont know if it is a normal hit, or light (I dont know how hard it should be hitting).

tech4064

Bearcat
It could be the ammo, but I don't think Federal is known for using hard primers.
Do you know the original owner? Sometimes people install a lighter weight hammer spring to improve the trigger pull.

Since the gun is used, you could try installing a new factory spring to see if that corrects the problem.

Then again, Cheesewhiz might be right.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ah ... the typical P345 click-no-bang .....

Send it back.

REV

modrifle3

Buckeye
If pistol was improperly dry fired there could be damage causing a hang up. Based on the age I would pull the pin and clean the channel, inspect the parts, remove mag safety and go from there. Rugers are way too heavily greased from the factory and dirty from proof firing.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:

Send it back.

REV

By your comment , you believe this is a problem to P-345s ? Just curious. I've owned mine for several years.....bought it new .. I can't say enough good things about it. If I remember ...it stovepiped one time on the initial mag that was put through it...hasn't missed a beat since then. Its been a great gun !

regards , brushunter

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
brushunter said:
revhigh said:

Send it back.

REV

By your comment , you believe this is a problem to P-345s ? Just curious. I've owned mine for several years.....bought it new .. I can't say enough good things about it. If I remember ...it stovepiped one time on the initial mag that was put through it...hasn't missed a beat since then. Its been a great gun !

regards , brushunter

I bought mine used and I've always had stellar performance. Any gun that has been misused can have problems.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
The P345 had well known problems with misfires after being dry-fired with the mag out. In some cases it took very few dry-fires to damage the blocking mechanism. Search will get you dozens of threads about it back when the pistol was new.

From the owner's manual:

DRY FIRING
Going through the actions of cocking, aiming and pulling the trigger on an
unloaded gun is known as "dry firing." It can be useful to learn the "feel" of your
pistol. Be certain that the pistol is fully unloaded (both the chamber and magazine
are empty) and that the pistol is pointing in a safe direction even when you are
practicing dry firing. The RUGER® P345® pistols can be dry-fired without
damage to the firing pin or other components as long as the magazine is inserted.
CAUTION: Dry firing your RUGER® P345® with the magazine removed may
result in damage or unnecessary wear to the firing pin blocking mechanism.

If it misfires on all ammo you try after you clean and lube the slide internals (not everyone wants to take their pistol apart :shock: ) it's probably been dry-fired improperly and needs to go to Ruger.

I have this suspicion there are a fair number of P345s that get passed off to unsuspecting buyers because of misfiring.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
armedinAZ , ahh , now I understand. An abused P-345 may have problems with misfires. Guess I assumed , given the magazine disconnect , ya couldn't dry fire it without a mag in place.

regards , burshunter

loaded round

Hunter
I have had a P345 for about four years now and completely happy with it. However in my haste to lighten the trigger pull (after cleaning my rear sight), I bought a trigger spring kit and installed the weakest spring in the kit. The result was that every third round would misfire and the second attempt it would fire. I put the next size trigger spring in and to date have not had a FTF. Buy a factory spring from Brownells and I would bet your troubles would be over.