P345 - looking for input from other owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ClayinVA

Bearcat
I bought a used P345 at a gun show several weeks ago, and after I got it home and disassembled it saw that there appeared to be significant damage to the plastic frame (mostly where the slide stop inserts, so it was not visible when the frame and slide were together). Since the seller was not local (lesson learned - no more buying used from an out-of-towner) I sent it to Ruger.

The Ruger service folks replaced the frame (retaining the original serial # - took a while for them to do paperwork on that, I believe), replaced the ejector, ejector pivot assembly, and slide stop. (I only know this level of detail beause it was on the receipt). I also had them refinish the slide while it was there, as there were a couple of rough spots.

Just took it to the range for the first time today. I shot only FMJ 230-gr from Georgia Arms, but no FTEs or FTFs, so I was pretty happy about that. For those knowledgeable about the P345 and .45 ACPs, I would appreciate your thoughts on the following:
- The trigger was fine in SA, but seemed to have a REALLY long pull in DA - will this get better with more rounds through the gun? I know it is not a 1911, but based on other semi-autos I have fired including a P95, the length of the pull in DA seemed excessive.
- With the parts that were replaced, especially the ejector and ejector pivot assembly, does it need to be re-broken in as though it were a new gun?
- This is my first .45, so maybe it just takes some getting used to, but there was a pretty smart kick (at least to me). Is that just based on the weight of the gun? Accuracy seemed OK, but for the first time out I really just wanted to get a feel for the gun, so was not really looking at how accurate it was.
- Is it worthwhile to stick to factory magazines for the P345? I have one factory mag that came with it, and two after-market that I bought at the same show where I bought the gun. I did not perceive any significant difference in performance.

Thanks for your input.

Blizzard

Bearcat
I have had mine for a year (had a 1911 Colt for 15 years) and I love it. I don't remember how many rounds I have put thru it, but several hundred and no problems.

mraywi

Single-Sixer
Double action is a little long. I have several 1911's,Kimbers and Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Love the 1911's.
But when I compare the p345 to them,considering the very low cost of the Ruger it is a huge bargain.I have only Ruger magazines but so use aftermarket mags in the p95 successfully. I believe the trigger does wear in a little along with getting used to it.

ClayinVA

Bearcat
So maybe I just need to shoot it a lot. :)
I think I will get another factory mag sometime soon, and keep a couple of both.

Al James

Hunter
The P345 has the heaviest DA pull of any of the P series from my experience. The cause being the factory hammer spring which IIRC is 22lbs. One option is to change it out for a lighter one. Just dont go to light or you risk getting into light strikes. Which suck if you are using the gun for home defense, ccw, etc. If you do change it make sure to test, test, test with your carry ammo. Good luck!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Mine is smooth and easy - not heavy in DA at all. It takes breaking in like any good auto. I have maybe 700 rounds through mine, roughly half Federal and half Unique 6.8/230 loads.

I've had only one hiccup early on AIR. It shoots into 3" at 25 yds without trying hard. Light, right-sized, smooth and dependable. And rust-proof under any normal human conditions.

Recommended for the best value under $500 NIB option out there.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
First of all, sorry to hear you got a gun from an unscrupulous guy. I don't know how some people live with themselves.

I find my 345 very pleasant to shoot, and I always start a magazine in double action mode. If you find the gun unpleasant to shoot, I don't know whether or not you reload, but you may want to try some 185 semi-wads. They are very mild, and then build back up to the 230s. They do sell commercial 185s, but you need to look on line for them.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
1. The trigger length of pull and to some extent weight of pull isn't going to change. They do get smoother with use, or with polishing of internal parts.

2. Yes. Treat it as if it were a new gun, shoot it alot to prove that everything works as it should. Probably does work fine, but you won't know for sure until you shoot it with the ammo you are going to use for defensive use.

3. .45's kick more than 9mm's. I find the recoil to feel slightly less in my hand than when shooting my 1911 even though the p345 weighs significantly less. However, I do get more muzzle flip with the p345. I don't know if that is because the gun is lighter, or if it is because the bore sits a little higher away from my hand.

4. I only have factory magazines. The complaints that I have heard of with after market magazines is that quality control is hit and miss. Sometimes you get one that works, and sometimes you get one that causes frequent misfeeds. I have never heard a complaint that an aftermarket magazine used to work great, but now doesn't. So, if yours work fine, then they probably are good to go.

Have fun with your new gun. I really like mine. I think it is the best .45 out there for the money.

ClayinVA

Bearcat
Thanks, folks. I have given it a thorough post-range cleaning and will take it out again soon; I will also check into the 185 SWCs.

Thanks for the input!

RioGrande481

Bearcat
I have had a P345 for a few years now - like 5 or 6. It is not one of my highest round count guns, but that is because of what I bought it for. It is kind of my rough duty, outdoors gun. I got it for a crazy good price $325. The store was closing out Ruger handguns and I made sure I got a NIB, non-gun counter sample. I knew about the issue with dry firing without a mag in place, so I made sure I had one that had not been handled. (see the other threads on here about the dry firing without a magazine issue).

The only thing that will make the trigger not seem so long is use. The mechanism is what it is. Keep shooting from DA and you will get more used to the trigger pull length.

Here is what I have done with the gun and have had no problems with it:

1. Took it almost totally apart and cleaned out the thick goo Ruger likes to pack its guns in. If you are not mechanically inclined you should just field strip it and clean out everything. The P345 is so easy to field strip and clean.

2. I paid particular attention to the magazines, which proved to be very wise as the springs were very gritty and just plain nasty. Cleaned everything out with a Remoil wipe or two and totally cleaned the spring too. This has really got to be done if you want the gun to function reliably.

3. I bought a Wolff gunsprings hammer spring pack, item #26576. This has 19, 20 and 21 lb springs, all reduced power. I installed the springs until I found the lightest I could go with the ammo I use. This did a lot to improve the DA trigger pull. I have kept the original spring so I can reinstall it should I ever need to sell the gun.

I did not "clean" the rear sight to get rid of the mag safety. While this is not that hard to do it can increase your liability and get you unfairly convicted if you ever have to use the gun for self defense.

ClayinVA

Bearcat
Thanks, I will check into the springs after I put more rounds through it. I am not sure yet what type ammo I may carry in it when I do carry it, so don't want to jump into new springs too early.

Speaking of ammo - anyone have recommendations for hollow points that work well with this gun?

bowfita

Bearcat
ClayinVA said:
Thanks, I will check into the springs after I put more rounds through it. I am not sure yet what type ammo I may carry in it when I do carry it, so don't want to jump into new springs too early.

Speaking of ammo - anyone have recommendations for hollow points that work well with this gun?

I've only tried a couple HP's, but everything cycles in my P345 so I just went with my local shop recommendation for SD. Only fired two boxes of these but they were flawless and can't say I noticed the + in felt recoil - check expansion at 1:05:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_lydR4xss&feature=relmfu

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I'm a huge fan of Federal Tactical HST 230gr hollow points. It takes a little work to find them, because Federal only wants them to be sold to law enforcement agencies.
www.ammunitiontogo.com usually has them available, but it looks like they're out of stock right now. They do have Ranger, Hornaday, and Speer brand law enforcement ammo in stock right now. I've heard good things about all of them.

Hizzoner

Bearcat
I too am a new P345 owner.
The DA trigger pull is a bit on the long side but I don't find it too hard.
So far it has digested everything I fed it except FTF from some old handloads I got from a friend.
When I checked them the OAL was really short.
Also, I don't think the cases had been resized properly.
New handloads with 4.5 gr. of Bullseye behind 200 grain LSWC work great and the recoil is mild to moderate compared to a 1911.

I am fortunate to be able to shoot on my own property and try to take advantage of it as often as I can.
It still is a 1/4 mile walk to where I shoot but that's not a bad thing either.

2ndamd

Bearcat
slippingaway said:
I'm a huge fan of Federal Tactical HST 230gr hollow points. It takes a little work to find them, because Federal only wants them to be sold to law enforcement agencies.
www.ammunitiontogo.com usually has them available, but it looks like they're out of stock right now. They do have Ranger, Hornaday, and Speer brand law enforcement ammo in stock right now. I've heard good things about all of them.

+1 for the Federal HST loads. I also like Winchester Ranger 230 grn +P and Speer GDHP in 200 grn +P are powerful! I have also shot the 185 grn Remington +P Golden Sabres. I like the heavy 230 grn rounds 1st with the Speer 200 grn +Ps for speed. Federals HST seems to be the future in ammo for now.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Wolff gunsprings hammer spring pack, item #26576

i am a new owner of a P345 also. does this new spring make a considerable difference in the hammer pull and is it very hard to install? i think i am reasonably inclined to do this if it is not too difficult. one more question. i have been field stripping my gun and polishing different parts with 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper to give it that broke in comfortable feel and look that i like. are there any warnings that i need to heed to so as not to hurt the function of my gun? thanks a lot for any help.