Ouch! Car accident....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Yesterday I was taking my son out because he was good in school and had gotten some money in for his birthday last month when after we left the store a woman pulled right in front of me turning into a Walmart. I had a yellow and she told the trooper she also had the yellow. A little SUV darted in front of me first and made it, this woman tried and failed. She about hit my '92 Suburban head on, and since mine is an old police vehicle, I left the push bumper on it and it did its job. I was ok, a little shook up and my 6 year old, heck he was fine, he didn't even get upset. The other woman was pretty shook up and had to go to the ER, she was an older driver, late 60's or 70's. Her car was a Ford Focus, and I saw was. Mine isn't that bad, still runs, would be drive-able except for the left tie rod and ball joint, needs a new fender, grill, bumper and headlight assembly, all really cheap aftermarket parts. Important thing is everyone is ok. The first trooper I talked to said she was definitely at fault because even though we both had the yellow, she still has to yield, the second trooper said he wasn't sure so I have no idea who will be ticketed, seems to me if we both had yellow that she should have to yield but we'll figure it out later.

The Suburban is on the left, the remains of her car on the right.

tinman

Buckeye
This is Texas law but I can't see it being much different for y'all. Even if she had a yellow light (which allows her to enter the intersection) she must still yield to oncoming traffic prior to turning. Sounds like it is all on her..... Glad y'all came thru intact.

737tdi

Hunter
As mentioned, the turning car is required to yield to traffic, even if there isn't a light. If I understand your explanation correctly you were traveling straight through a yellow signal and she was traveling the opposite direction and turned into oncoming traffic. Glad y'all are ok no matter the outcome.

Karl

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I have no idea what your local laws are BUT I'd say both drivers were at fault for what you describe as "had the yellow" and the Ford driver for failure to yield. Around here you can get a ticket for driving through a yellow if you had a reasonable opportunity to stop.

737tdi

Hunter
Mobuck said:
I have no idea what your local laws are BUT I'd say both drivers were at fault for what you describe as "had the yellow" and the Ford driver for failure to yield. Around here you can get a ticket for driving through a yellow if you had a reasonable opportunity to stop.

Not questioning you but that makes absolutely no sense. If it is true then why not just have Red and Green? You can get a ticket here if you are in the intersection when it turns red but not if it is still yellow. Granted a lot of folks speed up to make it through a yellow, maybe that is what they are ticketing??

Karl

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
Yes, it was her fault, that's the good news.. the bad news is your insurance company doesn't care..... rates will sky rocket and you are now on the list. Glad you and the little one are okay.

I don't think that's true. Rates will only go up in an accident where you are at fault or where the insurance has to pay out (such as hitting a deer). In an accident that is faulted to the other driver, your insurance isn't even truly involved.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Not questioning you but that makes absolutely no sense. If it is true then why not just have Red and Green? You can get a ticket here if you are in the intersection when it turns red but not if it is still yellow. Granted a lot of folks speed up to make it through a yellow, maybe that is what they are ticketing??"

The yellow is for those times when traffic speed does not allow an immediate stop and the length of the yellow is timed to accommodate stopping the average vehicle from the speed limit. If you're traveling at the speed limit, you should be able to stop before the light turns red. As mentioned, it often means "speed up" to impatient drivers.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
What I learned in High School in a "Driver Training Course";

A YELLOW LIGHT means:

HURRY UP AND BEAT THE RED !!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I took a few more photos yesterday. You can see how far back the left front wheel has been pushed, I can't get my hand between the tire and the fender as it sits. The fan went into the radiator and it's leaking antifreeze under the front of the engine so I think the water pump is done for.

Here's the steering box and shaft looking to the firewall, the exhaust manifold is on the left. You can see that isn't straight anymore. Looking below that is the frame and you can see how far inward that's bent.

You can see looking at the push bumper that it took a good jolt and did it's job. It's bolted to the front bumper and the frame and you can see it's tweaked to one side. It's not loose at all and is still bolted right where it should be, but the frame behind it is bent.

I know after speaking to my insurance company on Sunday that they are telling me she is at fault and that they will get the deductible, and pretty much everything else, from her insurance company. I know that what even they told me, yellow or not, with NY State law, the driver going straight still has the right of way and she still needed to yield to traffic. Now to just wait and see what the adjuster says when he looks at it and start to look around for a replacement.

Latest posts