Original Vaquero hammer help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JumpMedic

Bearcat
Hello all,
This is my first post here as y'all seem to have quite a bit in this subject. If the question has been posed before, I apologize as I've been researching this question to no avail and would greatly appreciate any help.
I purchased an original stainless Vaquero in 2003 (bottom) and recently purchased another which was made in 1995 (top).
As you can see, the hammers are different. The hammer in the 1995 production model has a flat top. The 2003 production doesn't and is like the other 6 I own. Please see attached pic.
IMG_0983.jpeg

What hammer is in the 1995 one and where can I get a hammer like the one in the 2003 one? I like it better.
Thanks so much in advance.
Y'all stay safe.
JM

G2

Hunter
Welcome to the Forum.

I'm thinking it's just production changes over the years.

IF You want the the flattop to be less and adjusting the "dip curve" go at it, that area has no effect on the operation.

Look at the New Vaquero hammer they have thinned the neck, lengthened the spur, all just aesthetics.… Some like it, some don't, and some have no idea.

I would pull both hammers, compare dimensions, maybe even install the 03 hammer into the 95 gun and check operation.

Where they are Stainless,,, chop, grind, re-shape & refinish is easy.
I would do ALL THIS WITH THE HAMMER OUT OF THE GUN.
Study the 2 hammers comparison when they are pulled from the gun, as separate parts.
Get it the way you want it and the put it back together.

Be careful doing any adjustments to the face of the hammer, there needs to be room for the transfer bar operation.

FWIW; "dip curve" I know that's not the official name of the location, but I can't think what it is,,,, but you get the drift🙄

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Good info above.

Or,, you could also do a search for a spare hammer,, that is to your liking,, and install it. If it needs a little fitting, a good gunsmith could handle that.

JumpMedic

Bearcat
Thank y'all. I've looked high and low for Ruger P/N KMR04002B, Stainless Vaquero Hammer, and can't seem to find one anywhere. If anyone knows where I can obtain one, I'd be much obliged.

G2

Hunter
Ohhh I was afraid you were going to say that, I have one,,,
Just need to find it, I will start the hunt.