One revolver cartridge only ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Glassfixer

Bearcat
I'd be forced to pick the .357 mag. The harder question would be which pistol to shoot it in. The Ruger GP or the 686 Smiffs or the Ruger Bisley or the OM Ruger Blackhawks, but defiantly the .357 Mag. - Glassfixer

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Wendy makes a good case for the .22 LR, I'm tempted to choose the same. But I'm gonna go with the .45 Colt. (Closely followed by the .357) With a .45 Ruger, I can outpower the ".43 mag" with heavy bullets or cast economical plinking bullets. If it can be taken down with a handgun, it can be taken down with the .45 Colt and it's been that way for nearly 140 yrs. Long live the king of handguns! :wink:

dougader

Hunter
Well, just one revolver cartridge then I'd pick the 45 Colt. You didn't say I couldn't have more than one revolver....

... so I'd have a Mt Gun with my Speer 250 grain GDHP for a carry gun or night stand bump-in-the-night gun. I'd take a 4-5/8" Blackhawk out for a woods gun with a good 255 grain Keith type SWC or the Beartooth 265 WNFGC at about 1100 fps, and my Bisley for those fishing trips to Alaska loaded with 335 grain WLNGC's @ 1200 fps.

For plinking and all around fun I'd pick the Montado in 45 Colt with 250 grain RNFP at 800 fps.

For a semi-auto, it'd be either 9mm (because of all the free brass I find laying around and I can load it as cheaply as 22 LR sometimes) or 45 auto (which can be loaded up and down from target 200 SWC's at 800 fps to 45 Super loads with a 250 rnfp @ 900 - 1000 fps).

Lucky Joe

standard.jpg

HP.jpg

I would choose the .38/.357 and this is the bullet I would choose.
http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm

Hammer

Single-Sixer

The big turnout for the 45 Colt is great.

If I had only Ruger 45 Colts I could easily join that chorus.

But because of all the Colt SAA revolvers I have, don't feel comfortable loading Ruger level loads and having them too handy to accidentally put into the Colt SAA. Basically laziness on my part.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I would have to go with the 45 colt also and with the 2 pistols I have both are 4 5/8" new models one is a convertable with the 45acp cylinder also that I have never used. You can go from mild to wild with factory loadings or reloads. the pistol is a little on the big side but would still work for concealed carry with the proper holster. With the proper loads it will outdo a 44 mag in the blackhawk for hunting purposes. As far as handguns go it's hard to imagine any need that a handgun could fill that a 45 colt doesn't excell in. I have bigger and smaller ones but the 45 is a favorite.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
45 Colt for me too. I have revolvers for all power levels the old Colt can be loaded to. In fact, I've sold or traded off all the other revovers I had and I've narrowed my sixgun cartridges down to just 357 and 45. I just can't bring myself to thin the 357's out....too much sentimental value in them.

Take Care,

Stump

gak

Buckeye
.44 Mag for all the reasons already articulated. In this hypthetical exercise, even if your rules don't "allow" me to shoot .44 Specials in it for day-to-day, the mag can be loaded down to mimic.

EDK

Single-Sixer
I use about 10,000 large pistol primers a year...all of them in 44 magnum brass at various levels.

The 357 has a lot going for it...but I shoot less than 3,000 of them a year.

22 Long Rifle is an excellent cartridge, especially for the non-reloader/new pistol shooter....but I doubt I use 1,000 a year for myself.

I like all three and have a rifle or two in each chambering also, but the primer usage says it all.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Well, I only own two guns and they're .357s. If there was a .44 as light and compact as my SP101, I might have chosen that.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Hammer":exbiuovk said:

Not a post about only one gun or one revolver...

But if you could have only one revolver cartridge...

Given the premise, I'd have to say the 44 magnum.

From firsthand experience I'd NEVER willingly want to stake my hide on a rimfire revolver against any critters in the bush or two-legged ones anywhere.

The 357 will do anything asked of it east of the Great Divide (BTDT all over the south until 33 years ago when I moved west) but out here, a bit more hosspower is both welcome and necessary.

sixshot

Buckeye
These questions come up from time to time & they are kind of fun, most people go with a full house 44 or 45, good choice. I'll have to throw in with what Skeeter Skelton said 40 years ago when ask the same question. He chose the 357 in a 5" S&W, I'll stray just a bit & go with my OM 357 shorty, I'll also go with one load, 13.5 grs of 2400 with the Keith bullet in a 38 special case. It will protect me & keep me fed.....& I can hunt badgers with it! :D
The 22 LR makes perfect sense but I've never been a great lover of the rimfires, also the 45 colt has a huge following, can't really disagree, & then there's my beloved 41 Bisley, how could anyone not choose it!
In reality none of us handgun loonies could ever, ever be satisfied with just one! :cry:

Dick

Latest posts