One revolver cartridge only ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
Hammer":wocp9k7y said:
But if you could have only one revolver cartridge...

Imagine you only had room for one Dillon Super 1050.

Wouldn't the one cartridge be the 44 Magnum ?

Load it up and down for nearly any job.

For the semi-auto it is a little more difficult to decide.

Both the 45 ACP and 10mm Auto work well in the 1911 and can handle any job appropriate for the 1911.

Since this post focuses on reloading, I'll skip the .22LR.

The .44 mag gets the nod for top-end power, but the .357/.38 Special is powerful enough for anything you should be shooting with a revolver. You can load it up for deer or predators, or down for rabbits. There's lot more guns to shoot it in, from snubbies to rifles.

The .45ACP is easy to load, has lots of pistols available, and you can do some fun things when loading for a revolver like the 1917 S&W.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
44 magnum. My mind always thinks hunting big game, and this is the revolver caliber that I like the best for this as it will get the job done at closer ranges and I can shoot it without flinching unlike bigger badder magnums. It is accurate, and bullets brass and powders are plentiful and it is easy to work up a great load. I am not tempted to waste tons of ammo as I am in smaller calibers due to the fact that more than about 50 rounds per day of full house loads become uncomfortable and that seems to make me focus more on shot quality.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
A lot depends upon application. For 1 caliber that will handle everyting from concealed carry to hunting, I vote for the 357 Magnum, but with 2 guns as application. For concealed carry I vote for the SP101 2 1/2" DAO. For Home defense and hunting the GP100 4".

You can load the 357 ranging from 38 lead wadcutters @t 700 fps to 158 grain JHPs @ 1300 fps and everywhere in between. A nice everyday load is a 140 grain jacketed hollow point or 158 grain lead swc or hollow point swc in 38Special +P. My reason for the +P38 Special is that you can pick up brass for next to nothing. 357 brass tends to be hard to come by.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Another 45 Colt fan. I shoot a lot of them. It is a remarkably versatile cartridge in a Ruger, and easy to shoot well. I like 44 Mag loaded full throttle too, but just something about that big Colt.

I have 2 Hornady LNL AP presses. I keep on set up for small pistol primers the other for large. Most of the time the large primer press is used for 45 Colt. Although, I have to admit that lately it is getting a lot of 44 Special time in for my Lipseys Blackhawks.

GP100man

Buckeye
44 Mag & my Redhawk 7 1/2" hunter with 2 mold , the 429421& the lee 310 rnfp .

enuff lead powder , primers to do what needs be.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Hammer":22gi9qwm said:

The big turnout for the 45 Colt is great.

If I had only Ruger 45 Colts I could easily join that chorus.

But because of all the Colt SAA revolvers I have, don't feel comfortable loading Ruger level loads and having them too handy to accidentally put into the Colt SAA. Basically laziness on my part.

Just "waterproof" your .45 BH Roman candles with a dab of red fingernail polish around the primer... :wink:

Hammer

Single-Sixer

One problem with the 38/357 is it takes too long to empty a lead pot.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I vote 44 caliber... hell they 'won' the west with it.

The West was 'won' with 44 Russian and 44-40. 44 Special and 44 Magnum had not been invented yet. And some folks would say the West was 'won' with 45 Colt. The Gun That Won the West was just a marketing slogan made up by Winchester, nothing more.

Frankly, I love shooting 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Auto Rim, 45 ACP, 44-40, and 44 Special. Don't see any need to limit myself.

Don't really have any use for 44 Mag.

Rclark

Hunter
Economically, I'd pick the .357/.38 .... But I won't.... I like the .45 Colt cartridge to much. Load up or down. Pleasant to shoot. Will take down just about any animal in North America... and then some. Has a long interesting history behind it... What more|less do you need? My pick is .45 Colt.

Of course, if I had to pick off the shelf ammo, I would be 'resigned' to the .44mag/.44 Special...... Which isn't all bad.

Glad this is all 'hypothetical' though because you really need more than one cartridge. .22s are handy for small game (smack with .45 and you'll be picking up tiny pieces of meat everywhere). .357/.38 for a little bigger game and my wife enjoys shooting it over the .44 and .45. Soooo, got to have a few different cartridges around :) .

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ya know what is really funny about this?? When you ask favorite gun or which one gun, you get mostly GP-100. Ask which cartridge and you get mostly 44mag or 45colt, go figure?? :D :D

...Jimbo

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Add another vote for 45 Colt. I shoot it in a Blackhawk 45Colt/45ACP Convertible, ROA w/ R&D Conversion Cylinder, and an H&R 45 Colt Carbine.

batmann

Single-Sixer
.44 Remington Mag for me. I can shoot any power level and that makes it a pretty versitile round. A Ruger SBH and a Marlin 1894 in .44M and you have have really great battery for almost anything in the lower US

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
If I still lived in the Lower 48 Id say .357.
Living here in Alaska it's .45 Colt.

Ive got revolvers for each and a lever gun for each so things are very cool round here.

The semi auto thing? Probably .45acp.

Good thing is these silly questions arent real world so I can have them all.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
If limited to just one, I'd say 357 magnum. Enough power to hunt (though not my 1st choice for deer) to do just about anything. It will also fit in the little SP-101 for concealed carry

BearBio

Buckeye
Driftwood Johnson":12qdj6nk said:
I vote 44 caliber... hell they 'won' the west with it.

The West was 'won' with 44 Russian and 44-40. 44 Special and 44 Magnum had not been invented yet. And some folks would say the West was 'won' with 45 Colt. The Gun That Won the West was just a marketing slogan made up by Winchester, nothing more.

Frankly, I love shooting 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Auto Rim, 45 ACP, 44-40, and 44 Special. Don't see any need to limit myself.

Don't really have any use for 44 Mag.

I'd go 45 Colt, also.

ps: The gun that "won" the west was probably the Sharps.

"Sharps, the gun that made the west safe for Winchester"

maxpress

Buckeye
as long as were not discluding autos for CC, then it would be .44mag.

if it was one ca' tridge all together then it would be 10mm with conversions on 357s for revolvers.

Latest posts