Are "short" cartridges more accurate...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dannyd

Hunter
dannyd,, I'd like to point out that your observation leaves out a little info. Were you shooting cast or jacketed bullets?
Cast bullets,, (traditionally lubed types) often leave a LOT more fouling than a jacketed bullet. I recently was shooting up some older ammo I had in one of my .357 mag revolvers. It was .38 spl brass, and cast/lubed bullets. I got a lot more fouling than I would have gotten with jacketed bullets. But after only about 75 rounds, I had a very noticeable ring in the chambers. Took a bit of serious cleaning to where it's chamber a .357 round.
But with jacketed,, or now,, even plated or powder coated bullets,, now it takes longer to get a fouled chamber.

But back to accuracy.

Since all guns are basically a machine,, with several moving parts, that must work together to be a good machine or a marginal machine. Only by trial & testing can a person discover what THEIR gun will act like when they try THEIR ammo in that specific gun.
They were cast bullets that's all I shoot. 11,608 last year 1816 so far this year. The crude ring is over rated. That's just my opinion and mileage yours may very. :)

Johnnu2

Hunter
Two observations from a 'non-expert' but very long time reloader:
1) Last year I tried Starline's .45 Cowboy (short) cases in my various Rugers etc; very poor results compared to normal .45Colt cases.
2) I've shot .38 Spl. wadcutters out of my 357Mag revolvers but never really tested for accuracy comparisons; if I had to bet, I would bet a large sum, that the extra distance that a bullet has to travel to the throat will erode accuracy.
JMHO
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually Johnnu2, a .38 Spl wadcutter has a longer bearing surface, and that allows the bullet to still be partially in the case as it enters the forcing cone. Makes them very accurate at shorter ranges. BUT,, due to bullet design,, wadcutters are not a 100 yd accuracy bullet.

The .45 Short Colt doesn't have the same luxury,, UNLESS a longer bearing surface bullet is used.

For me this thread is kind of moot. I can't find a .38 short or even a .38 S&W to save my life, and no one can point me in the right direction. I found one box that was incorrectly stored before I received it, and the ammo didn't look like something I wanted to try. In answer to the OP, the one box I got with my wheel ( Remington Performance Wheel Gun) was pretty damn accurate.
Joe, PM sent.

My Accurate ( under 2"@200yds) revolver loads engage the rifling before they clear the case.

Attachments

• IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0474.jpg
    IMAG0474.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 45

contender

Ruger Guru
Re-reading this thread,, I also failed to mention another factor in relation to accuracy. And since we are discussing 38/357 types of ammo, I'll use that as a base.
Cylinder alignment.
If the chambers of a cylinder are not in good alignment,, accuracy can suffer. A shorter cased ammo, may or may not allow a bullet engage the rifling before it fully exits the case body. If the bullet is shorter,, and the case is shorter,, then the bullet enters the chamber area, then enters the throat then the rifling. Often,, the SLIGHT cylinder side-to-side play can allow the alignment issue to be easily overcome. But a longer case, along with a longer bullet can often allow a much easier "transition" of the bullet from the case to the rifling.

Hvymax's pictures above show a long bullet, near the chamber mouth, and will be very close to the throat & rifling. As such,, it'll align quickly.

And yes,, as mentioned in an above thread,, load density in a case can & often does have an effect on velocity and accuracy.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
First mistake is never rest a barrel on a sand bag. A revolver is no different than a rifle Only shorter. I rest the grip bottom. I shoot accurately 100 yards with a 7.5" .45 Blackhawk. Rest the trigger guard. Frame in front of trigger guard. Never a barrel. Next you need to dry fire as much as live Ammo. Unload your favorite Ruger and dry fire on a light switch. When hammer drops, it should be a surprise. Guarantee to work.