OM Bearcat-Pawn Shop Find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Stopped in this AM to see what was new and they jusy put an OM Bearcat S/N 90-194xx. It has a slight turn ring and some bluing missing on the crown and ejector rod housing. Included was a periodcorrcet Hunter holster. Marked $449.99. I gave $375 OTD.

While it has the appearance of having been shot very little it is also obvious that it wasn't maintained very often. I had to spray Krill oil on the ejector rod and let it soak for an hour to get the rod to move. Also feeling some grit when cocking the trigger. I have applied more Krill and have the gun soaking. Will blow to out a little later today and apply some CLP.

Ruger website list date of manufacture as 1970 and also recommends the safety transfer bar procedure. If I can get rid of the grittiness I may send it in.

If Ruger sends a shipping label is it a USPS label?

Appreciate any and all advice.

contender

Ruger Guru
KUDOS on a great find.
I'd do a disassembly,,, clean it good,,, & add a little oil to all the right places & keep it "as is." I'd not send it back for the safety transfer bar addition. I'd keep it original,, and enjoy the smooth (once cleaned,) OM action. Just remember to keep an empty chamber under the hammer when carrying it.
In my opinion,, most of the guns that have been returned for the transfer bar safety have come back with a worse feeling action than the original.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Good find and good for you to "rescue" it.

However, I agree with what contender said. It is rare to read of any Ruger owner these days who sends an old model in for the transfer bar conversion. I thought about it 30 some years ago for my 1959 Single Six & 1968 Blackhawk (both bought new by me), but that's as far as it got. Sure am glad I left them both original.

To each his own though.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Armybrat said:
Good find and good for you to "rescue" it.

However, I agree with what contender said. It is rare to read of any Ruger owner these days who sends an old model in for the transfer bar conversion. I thought about it 30 some years ago for my 1959 Single Six & 1968 Blackhawk (both bought new by me), but that's as far as it got. Sure am glad I left them both original.

To each his own though.

I've decided not to have it converted. I have a single six I bought new in 1969 and I never had it converted. Carried 6 all the time until I got the internet and learned how dangerous carrying 6 can be. :) Hope to get the Bearcat action as smooth as my SS.

Thanks

dakota1911

Buckeye
Nice find and I would load 5 and put the hammer on an empty chamber if you are worried over sending it in to Ruger for the transfer bar.