Old Shotguns.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Not sure how many here appreciate old shotguns. My wife and I picked this one up a few weeks ago. For those who don't know their old Winchesters this is a model 1897. This is a pre-1900 model.

IMG_20130303_174942_zpsad0f5be1.jpg

I am hoping to use it for cowboy trap this summer.

Jay

street

Hunter
They used a few of the mod 97s in the "Great War" WWI. It is basically a model 12 but with an exposed hammer. Nice looking gun.

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
That's a nice solid frame you have there. Which letter designation does it carry? Mine is a 'C' from 1898 per the Cody paperwork I have.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Jbrown75 said:
That's a nice solid frame you have there. Which letter designation does it carry? Mine is a 'C' from 1898 per the Cody paperwork I have.

It is a "C". This one does not have the ejector. I have been told that, other than the letter with the serial number, is a way to tell if it is a pre- 1900.

Jay

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I thought all Model 97s had had the pistol grip area repaired by wrapping with piano wire.

That's sure a nice looking one!

Bob Wright

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Does anyone who's shot a Model 97 much NOT have a case of "'97 thumb?" I got mine at about 16--buddy's dad had a real nice one he'd let us take out on rare occasions--and at 62 the scar's finally disappeared. Or else the eyes are just getting where it's hard to see? ;)

BTW, that IS a very nice one!

Rick C

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Nice old shotgun. A buddy of mine shoots cowboy and recently picked up 2 at a gun show. Neitehr is close to being as nice as yours.

Jeff

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

Does anyone who's shot a Model 97 much NOT have a case of "'97 thumb?" I got mine at about 16--buddy's dad had a real nice one he'd let us take out on rare occasions--and at 62 the scar's finally disappeared. Or else the eyes are just getting where it's hard to see? ;)

BTW, that IS a very nice one!

Rick C
I learned really quickly to keep the firing hand low! I only got bit twice, but that was enough for me.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Guy I know has one with a 30" full choke barrel. Been whacking pheasants with it for many years. Tough old gun, and puts the hammer on them at long range.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
gunsbam69 said:
Guy I know has one with a 30" full choke barrel. Been whacking pheasants with it for many years. Tough old gun, and puts the hammer on them at long range.

A friend of mine who is a top notch trap shooter told me about a trap shooter he shot with that used the same gun. He said that the old guy with the 97 would break birds way out there all the time. I hope to do the same this summer.

Jay

22lrfan

Bearcat
That's a beautiful 97. You don't find them in that condition. I've got a 16ga 97 made in 1914. There's not a speck of the original finish left on it.