Old dogs need a job too

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
I hunt often with my young English Setter, but my old Golden Retriever needs a day in the field now and then too.

This morning the Golden had her fun. She retrieved my decoys (really?) but she's good company. Took her home, gave her a bath, and added a couple eggs to her dinner. She's been in front of the fireplace ever since.

Attachments

• E5E00309-A9EE-46C7-9476-BCFC10BC466C.jpeg
    E5E00309-A9EE-46C7-9476-BCFC10BC466C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
  • 41CC5F98-FB9D-4ED8-A648-17F953154B7B.jpeg
    41CC5F98-FB9D-4ED8-A648-17F953154B7B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 100
  • 951788E7-154F-4C51-8DCF-9B1A12AB0C38.jpeg
    951788E7-154F-4C51-8DCF-9B1A12AB0C38.jpeg
    962.9 KB · Views: 104

Johnnu2

Hunter
All of us old dogs need a day out with a loved one; and a good meal afterwards. I can imagine she's laying there going over the day while enjoying the fire and thinking how lucky she is to have you.

J.

HW11

Single-Sixer
Very good picture. I bet she had the best day ever. She got to do what she loves to do. She got a good meal, a warm bath and stretched out by the fire. Her life is good. My two Australian Sheppards just finished helping me feed the horses. They are warming waiting for bedtime treats. Maj is waiting for me to get in bed so he can watch Hogan's Heroes with me. They are a great part of my family.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
How old is she?

I was thinking of taking my GWP for an easy morning hunt and I was a little worried it might be too much for him. He has it pretty good and I wouldn't want to ruin it asking him to do too much. He is 16.

Attachments

• IMG-2953(1).MOV
    20.4 MB
Dogs obviously think at some level, and I have had dogs that seem to have the ability to plan ahead to some extent. I had a Standard Poodle who would counter surf if he thought he could make a good getaway, but otherwise would not. One day my then young son was sitting on the floor by the coffee table eating pizza and the dog pretty much ignored him and the pizza. Then my wife opened the sliding glass door that led to the backyard. The dog stood up, looked at the open door, grabbed the pizza and bolted out of the house. My son chased after him but within seconds the entire pizza had been swallowed. I have no doubt that the dog consciously made a decision to take the pizza once he saw a clear escape path.

I've had dogs my entire life, and at almost 80 years old and I think it likely that my current dogs, ages 8 and 2, will outlive me, but my grown kids will undoubtedly take in my dogs if necessary and give them a good home. It does sadden me a bit to recognize, however, that these two are likely my last dogs.

We have two dogs, last night we were watching tv, and they were horsing around with each other. Rainy had the advantage over Blizzard. So Blizzard goes into the other room, gets one of Rainy's toys, brings it back into the tv room and teases Rainy with her own toy. Just to "win" the play session.

Rainy is very jealous of her toys and it was clearly a plan ahead several steps for Blizzard.

They are amazing to watch especially when they don't think we are paying attention.

Just like kids in a costume.

Latest posts