Old model single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cowboyjwc

Bearcat
Hi everyone, new member, I have an old model single six that did not come with a magnum cylinder, but I do have one. I checked and everything seems to line up. I've had this gun longer than I've had my kids (our oldest is 37) and wouldn't want anything to happen to it. So my question is, should it be safe to shoot .22 magnums?

welcome to the forum, on any old model over 150,000 serial number range if you put the cylinder, and pull back ( cock the hammer) and it LOCKS up on every chamber, you should be good to go....look at the spacing in front of the cylinder, between the cyl. face and the rear of the barrel, so its NOT rubbing and you have about>004-.006 " of an inch, too much gap you can get 'blow by", then the other end, the bottom of the cartridges should NOT 'drag' against the recoil shield...... test fire, and if no misfires, then the headspace should be correct///once fitted from or to another gun,, they most often drop right in, just do not want it TOO loose, gaps ( headspace issues) the proof is in the actual test firing of the gun....if it spins, turns, and locks up, and stays locked up ( in battery) your OK...simple work the action on the "UNLOADED" gun before shooting it......the overall length of the new cylinder should be the same as the one that came with the gun....let us know 8) :roll: :wink:

wwb

Hunter
Whether or not it would be okay to shoot magnums also depends on the bore. The very early single-six revolvers were .22 long rifle only. When the convertible was introduced, the bore was increased a couple thousandths. Some time later, the increased bore diameter was used in all revolvers. I can't tell you the date/serial number of the break,but I'm sure somebody can. Also, if it has a fully adjustable rear sight rather than a simple windage-only rear sight, I'm pretty sure it has the larger bore.

RODSMITH1

Bearcat
Good morning all. i am new to the forum and would like to tap into the Ruger knowledge data base here. i have a Ruger single six with a 136701 sn that i would like to find out date of mfgr and is this piece a candidate for the 22wmr drop in conversion. i do have the ability for light machine work and stone lapping if necessary. any feedback would be most appreciated. thanks in advance and good day to all.

hittman

Staff member
Rodsmith1 welcome to the Forum.
For best results and views to your questions, start a thread of your own asking about dates and such.
Ruger's web site does have some info (under Customer Service) on dates by serial number.
There's also other sources of info like RENE https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/subscribe-to-the-red-eagle-news-exchange.30544/ in this thread.
Many times you can find an additional cylinder that will fit and function fine. But it's on YOU to determine if the fit really IS good and if it's safe to shoot!