Old Model Bisley 4-5/8 .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shouldn't we call that a "First Model Bisley Vaquero" ? To me "Old Model" means no hammer block safety, and all factory original Bisleys are "New Models."
Not meaning to be a prick, it's nice to keep the terminology straight for collector purposes. And for ease of ordering spare or replacement parts, and even safe gun handling, since to some of us who sometimes pack these things in rough terrain, an "Old Model" is a five-shooter, a "New Model" is a six-shooter.

Whatever you call it, it's a handsome and useful handgun. Indestructible, handy to pack, weather proof. Thanks for the view!

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I have one of these chambered in 45LC, well I should say it started out as one of these, but has been modified with a custom round butt, a belt mountain base pin, a S&W adjustable rear sight and I changed the hammer out for a standard Blackhawk hammer because with my big mitts the Bisley hammer just felt unsafe. I opened the throats up a little to make it shoot better and have shot some very stout handloads through it without issue. I also modified the pawl to free-spin. These are great guns but I believe too heavy for CAS and think the Blackhawk is more useful but I know the 1st Gen Vaqueros have a big following. I should also add that I really like to looks of the Bisley Vaqueros with original hammer and that is a fine example!

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Mike Armstrong:

Yes I like your terminology "First Model Bisley Vaquero" better than "Old Model Bisley" based upon your concise explanation for this...yet I must admit that since I'm somewhat of a "Greenhorn" whenever it comes to Single Action revolvers is the reason I had just applied the "Old Model Bisley" terminology in view of only seeing this description on-line repeatedly. No, I don't consider you to be a prick because I'm always open to learning new factual information about variations in revolvers........thanks for contributing the above specific details towards educating me regarding these "First Model Bisley Vaqueros as I appreciate It!

rugerrat

contender

Ruger Guru
rugerrat,,, it's nice to see you weren't upset at Mike's polite comments concerning terminology. What he says is all true. Please allow me to add to what he has said, especially considering your mentioning of seeing certain terminology online.
Old Model is a term used to describe Ruger SA's built prior to 1973. None of which are Bisleys. They are the ones w/o the safety transfer bar action. In 1973, Ruger introduced us to the safety transfer bar, and put on their guns, "New Model." As such, we call the pre-1973 guns Old Models since Ruger designated the later ones New Model. The original Vaqueros share the same frame size as the normal Blackhawks, and can handle the stouter "Ruger only" loads. The Vaquero was introduced in 1993, and as such, has the NM action parts. This is what your gun is. Most of us who collect call them "Original Vaqueros" to show the difference in the way Ruger marked the smaller framed "New Vaquero" models. Again, following what Ruger put on the guns. This way, we as collectors & parts people etc. can understand the difference between Old Model, New Model, Vaquero & New Vaquero.

I hope this makes things clearer for you. Sometimes some folks get upset at us when we try & offer polite discussion on terminology, and others do not care one way or the other. But it can be confusing when you start looking for parts, or trying to sell or buy a specific gun.

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Contender:

I appreciate your taking the time to give me explicit technical information on all of the various models and their differences and everything as you have explained it above definately makes sense to me. Whenever I first bought my "Vaquero" I at least knew that it was beefier and stronger than the "New Vaquero" And this is why I wanted it. Now that everything makes sense to me I'll only be referring to my Vaquero as the "Original Vaquero" because this clearly describes what I have. Btw, is it true that my "Original Vaquero" with the 4-5/8" barrel and via being chambered in the .357 caliber was produced in a fairly low quantity? I have heard of between 75 and 100 being made on-line....or is this inaccurate?

Well I'm a perfectionist by nature and I think that a person can learn more and become better educated just by keeping an open mind and having a willingness to listen to the more experienced members on this forum....because, afterall, what good does it do to join a forum and then to get upset and turn a "deaf ear" to obtaining valuable Info from the more knowledgeable members? I feel that whatever I know that others might not know I'd be willing to help them.....so it stands to reason that all of us can be more of a benefit to each other via sharing knowledge with each other. You have certainly shared some important technical facts with me here and I'm all the better for it! Thank you!

rugerrat

BearBio

Buckeye
I agree. Your terminology threw me as I immediately looked for the third screw, having never heard of an OM Bisley (except by Colt). You've received some good info that many can benefit from.

Ruger45

Blackhawk
That's a good looking gun you have there. And good info you got as well. Such good info I learned a thing or two from it. :wink:

Latest posts