Not sure what to do with this #1 in .458

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
If I had a 458 win mag I would have to lean towards the 500gr. stuff and leave the Trail Boss on the shelves for those cowboy action shooters.
And just bring it out when your buddy's need an ego adjustment.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
You can load that 458 down to 45/70 or even muzzleloader power. Who says you can't use it deer or hog hunting?

DC Plumber

Bearcat
I have a number 1 Tropical .458 win mag and love it. I bought it used for $500. It has great character wear and probably served as a guide gun and was shot very little. I bought 150 pieces of new brass and a box of 405g lead billets. Those loaded with reloaded 7 make for extremely easy shooting and plinking. I used a Speer 400g SJFP to take a whitetail here in WI.

Absolutely no need for a 458 here in WI but then I have no need for 90 percent of my guns. I just want them and enjoy the variety.

Put it up for sale. I'm sure you'll find someone like me who just wants to have one. Like someone else said, take it to the range and let your buddies try it. Put the gong up at 100 yards and shoot for money. It's a great time.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Greg, I got a question
first, I haven't been lucky enough to find "trail boss", but should I ever, would you load 350 grn jacketed bullets with it? I don't like the ideal of shooting cast

JFB: I shoot jacketed, cast, whatever with TB. I like to shoot without worrying about a repeat trip to the operating room for shoulder repair. Recoil is fine, just not all that wonderful for old bones.

There's a simple to follow process for load development on the IMR website.