Not Ruger - S&W Night Guard revo's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Sorry, no Ruger content...

Anyone here have much trigger time behind a S&W Night Guard series revolver? I should have inquired before, but being a sucker for 41's I just picked up a M357NG (scandium N frame 41 mag). I have seen very few 41's in this series and found one for an acceptable price.

Anyway, please post your experience if you don't mind.

Back to your regularly scheduled Ruger talk...

I really like the general idea.

If they didn't have the stupid hole in the sideplate, I would have probably bought one. Same with the various "classic" models they have re-issued in recent years. How can you come out with a "Model 58" that has an internal lock and a visible hole in the sideplate? If they could at LEAST come up with a way to make it totally internal and invisible like Ruger did with the single actions, I might reconsider.

Gregg

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Gregg, I agree to an extent. This is the first IL Smith that I have acquired. I don't have that many Smiths, but the few that I have are older no lock models. Having said that I like the idea of a light powerful revolver for hiking, so the IL didn't have a lot of bearing on my decision. If I were looking for a steel Smith, I think I would only seriously consider a no lock Smith as long as they are plentiful and still cheaper than a new one.

Rick R

Bearcat
I bought a 325NG and shot it for a while.

Didn't really like it, then I saw one too many picture on the Internet of a Scandium frame broken in half and I traded it in for my new 4 5/8" SS Super Blackhawk.

Now we're back on topic. :D

Czbilly

Bearcat
I have a 325 and like it. I had to send it back to smith because it shot to the left. They fixed the problem and did an action job. Now is sweet shooting. Need to keep working with it so can get more comfortable at a little more distance. Nice guns. Just keep in mind what they were designed for and you will enjoy.

HiVel

Bearcat
I have a Smith 10mm NG-one of the most accurate , easy shooting big guns they make IMHO. SHOOTS 40'S AND THAT IS LIKE POPPING 22'S (ALMOST) .I really like this gun-it is easy to handle , the grips are the Pachmayers that really control the gun. Can shoot a myriad of different 10mm loads-lots of fun. Get one! You will love it.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I also have a 310 Night Guard. It is my most carried revolver for town concealed carry. I like it a lot as a concealed carry revolver.

The 357 Night Guard is a 41 Magnum Air Weight N Frame. It has a 2-1/2" barrel, XS 24/7 Tritium front sight, and Cylinder & Slide Extreme Duty rear sight. It also has a SS cylinder. Everything I have read about the Night Guards says they will hold up ok.
The 357NG should shine for a couple applications:
It should be great for concealed carry.
It should also make a great trail gun.

Lots of horse power in a light weight package.

Don I am not all that far away. Give me a ring one of these days, and we can meet at the Big Piney Sportsman's Club near Houston Missouri.
http://bigpineysportsmansclub.com/
I am the Club President, so you can find my contact information on the web site.
We normally have our handgun matches the first Saturday of the month. We run an Outlaw IDPA match one month, and a Steel Challenge the next. Come to a shoot and you can try out the 310 NG, I also have a 4" 610 Power Custom Combat you could also try for a comparison.

Bob

onthehunt

Bearcat
I recently bought a 396NG .44 Special. It is my first S&W revolver. I am impressed with it. The only thing that didn't make sense was the Pachmyer grip. Way too fat. Instlled a $20 Hogue Bantam rubber grip. They should have come this way. I only have 50 rounds through it so far. It is surprisingly accurate. Recoil is there but tolerable. Ruger should make a .44 special on the SP frame/action.

tek4260

Buckeye
Does yours have a rattle when you shake it? I just got a 329PD and found the rattle was the "overtravel stop rod" inside the trigger return spring. It now resides in the plastic bag with the keys. There is a guy over on S&W Forum that makes a plug to do away with the lock and the hole. Not sure if I want one yet. If mine locks I'll do a bit of grinding on the flag.....

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Tek, yes mine rattles when I shake it - I'll have to check out the trigger return spring. I've been thinking of removing the lock...

THE .41 MAN

Single-Sixer
I have one of the S&W 357 NG revolvers. It said .41Magnum on it, so naturally, I had to have it. After doing some close (7-10 yards) double action double taps, I went from the Winchester 175gr. Silvertips I tried my .41Special loads of a 210gr SWC KT bullet from a RCBS mold at about 900fps. Much easier to control. The Sierra 170gr JHC at 1000fps isn't that bad, either. I use both loads in my S&W 357 PD also.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Don Lovel said:
I want to shoot a 10mm Night Guard one of these days

Dear Ruger, please make a DA 10mm/40 S&W moon clip loading and I won't bug you about anything else ever again

A-MEN ,A-MEN , AAAA-MEN , A-MEN , A-MEN Brother

Then I can sell my G20

Boge

Single-Sixer
onthehunt said:
...Ruger should make a five shot .44 special on the LCR frame/action.

Fixed it for ya!! :lol: :wink:

I have shot a S&W 610 Night Guard & IMO an N Frame is too damn big for CCW.

onthehunt

Bearcat
396 is a L frame. Get rid of the Pachmyer grip and it is much smaller. I put mine in a Lobo holster and it is superb.