Ruger & S&W all in one screwdriver recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Looking for possibly buy only one screwdriver that i can use on S&W K frame and Ruger Six Series revolvers. Certain one from Brownells?

Fyrtwuck

Bearcat
S&W used to include an Aluminum handled screwdriver with their revolvers. If you can locate one of those it might serve your purpose.

Last edited:

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Best to get a screwdriver set with a good selection of hardened tips that will provide a proper fit in the screws slot and their width so you don't bugger up the screws.
I've used a lot over the years and like the Chapman set. Wheeler aren't bad.
Don't cheap out as poorly made screwdrivers can twist out or break and really mess up the gun and possibly you too.
I do have one of the little S&W screwdrivers, but I don't use it much.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Bykrhd is onto it! Many years ago, I was in the same situation. Several fellow shooters and woodworkers as well as my LGS gunsmith advised me to buy a quality -- emphasis on quality -- screwdriver set with interchangeable tips.

Based on their recommendations, I purchased the Brownell MAGNA-TIP Master Set. Even back in the 1980's it was not exactly inexpensive. Over the years I have not found a tip that would not fit antique and modern firearms, electrical appliance and hand-held woodworking tools as well general around the shop and house usage.

Cholo

Staff member
Based on their recommendations, I purchased the Brownell MAGNA-TIP Master Set. Even back in the 1980's it was not exactly inexpensive. Over the years I have not found a tip that would not fit antique and modern firearms, electrical appliance and hand-held woodworking tools as well general around the shop and house usage.
That's the set I bought in the late 70's, and it gets constant use. I like it so much I bought a set for my son for Christmas several years ago.

I really don't think anyone wanting to buy a single screwdriver will even click the link.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with all the above.

First off,, not all screws on a Ruger are the same,, so they require more than one bit/blade size. And S&W can also have different sizes. So, a kit is a good choice,, to get properly fitting screwdrivers!
Brownells Magna kit is top notch.

...the S&W driver is just that , a "sight adjustment tool" (SAT)....do what they say above, and I say keep the 'Sears" screwdriver in the kitchen drawer or your tool bench, and your 'Snap On' stuff out in the garage or pole barn...over the years we cut down and ground any and all screw drivers for EACH different gun company, hell there was about a dozen just for Brownings alone,,,thin, narrow slots, and it goes on and on and on......
the ones mentioned above ( Browells , or even Chapman, etc.) can and will with all the "new" torx stuff, etc, fit your needs for todays guns...........:cool::rolleyes:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
"at best, the alu-handle S&W screwdriver can wok on the windage screw_ not intended for real gunsmithing, in my book"

One other gun use for the S&W screwdrivers,, is to remove grip panel screws. Other than that,, nada!

jgt

Buckeye
Brownell's offers their standard size magna tip screwdrivers in kit form for just the Smith & Wesson with several different size bits. One goes in the end and the rest are meant to be stored in the hollow space in the handle. This hollow space has a threaded twist-on cap. The bits in the kit will be all you will likely need for the Ruger also. They make these kits for Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and other brands including shot guns and rifles. I have three of these and so far they have covered all my guns. I would love the master kit and if you can afford it , that is the way to go. If not get a kit for the Smith & Wesson and add others when you need to. My kits were $15 each at the time. Like all things, likely not what they cost today.

Chief

Single-Sixer
"at best, the alu-handle S&W screwdriver can wok on the windage screw_ not intended for real gunsmithing, in my book"

One other gun use for the S&W screwdrivers,, is to remove grip panel screws. Other than that,, nada!
I think the give away on the S&W "screw driver" is the fact that they were only included with revolvers that had adjustable rear sights. If S&W had intended to give you a real screwdriver they would have included it with all their guns. The fact that it sort of fits the rest of the screws is what gets folks in trouble and ruins good guns.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
All good advise on a quality set. There's nothing that will anger you more than having a driver that jumps out of the slot and gouges a hole in fancy wood grips. I'd also suggest a torque driver that accepts different bits to avoid over/under tightening.