Non Ruger AR question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Any opinion on DPMS Sportical AR 15,223 CAL? Wally World has one for $587 + tax. Don't have much knowledge on all the numerous brands out there. Please no WM remarks. Thanks.

Just a basic AR type rifle w/o the fwd assist, brass deflector, and ejection port cover. If you just want a rifle to take to the range in a case, shoot some ammo, and put it away, it's probably all the AR you need.

volshooter

Buckeye
Shot one last month. Nice basic weapon. Good price. Forward assist and dirt cover are not needed for non military/LEO use. I bought a Bushmaster from WalMart and love it. I just had to add optics for ranges over 100 yards. Mine has the carry handle with the optics mounted on it but the open sights are still useable. I am not a big "black gun" fan but I love this one.

Enjoy! BTW Wolf ammo is cheap $225/1000 and shoots very well.

737tdi

Hunter
Wow, this is a tough question to answer. For myself, I would not purchase a 75% AR. The forward assist and dust cover are there for a purpose. The original M16 (as alot of y'all know) did not have a forward assist, and bad things happened.

I guess you have to ask yourself "why do I want an AR15"? If not for self/home/shtf protection then why buy one? A 10/22 is just as fun. A SKS is cheaper and is just as much fun (including ammo being cheaper).

It is not a hunting gun, it is not a plinking gun, it is really only shootable at 100 yds. or more if shooting for fun.

I'm just throwing some things out there. Not trying to per/dis suade you. I own 3 AR's and love them all. I took the CAR down to Fburg and everyone loved shooting it. It is a full power plinking rifle (but the cost is much higher) for the guys who got tired of thier bolts , and levers and single shots and want something different.

Bottom line I guess, If you want the AR experience then by the full blown AR, my recommendation, if not then the mentioned firearm should do fine for you. I know that sounds wierd but I don't know how to explain it any different. Flattop with a collapsible/extendable stock, put some decent free floating handguards with multiple options, open sights, flip up sights, scopes, ACOGS.

It does go on and on and can get way more expensive then Rugers.

This is my CAR which is probably worth $2300+.

100_0094.jpg

I have just as much "fun" shooting my MKIII 45/22 or my 10/22's and they are much cheaper.

If you are just buying for fun, stick with the .22's. If for SHTF scenario buy a real AR and make it fit your own needs. Ramble over.

Semper Fi:

Karl

Richbaker

Blackhawk
A forward assist was put on at the Air Force's insistence, none of the other services felt a need.... If the bolt fails to go into battery, cycle the charging handle, or put your right thumb in the depression in the side of the bolt and push forward. No real need for the FA.
Dust cover, unless you're rolling around in the dirt, no real need for it...

There are plenty of "slickside" ARs' out there, with no problems reported because they're missing these items... Buy one and enjoy it!

I say go for it. Most people I talk to never use the forward assist.

I bought a Smith & Wesson Sport, for just a little less than the DPMS ($572.00). No forward assist or dust cover, and I love it. I wanted an inexpensive simple and light AR and got it. I have a Les Baer that has the bells and whistles and shoots under an inch at 200 yards. The S&W is very accurate itself, and just a fun gun to shoot. As mentioned there is a depression on the bolt should you need to assist a round to chamber. I would not hesitate to use this in a SHTF situation.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Richbaker said:
A forward assist was put on at the Air Force's insistence, none of the other services felt a need.... !
That's an outright, contemptible lie! :shock: The USAF bought the ORIGINAL ARs with NO forward assist, and they kept buying them that way, they NEVER bought M16A1s. I know, I instructed on the things. It was the ARMY who demanded the forward assist and I was taught in Tech School (by TSgt Lou Mango--remember his name to this day! :wink: ) that the only reason the Army demanded the things was because just had to "improve" the Air Force rifle in some way to save face.

To this day, 40 years of shooting ARs and I don't know how many thousands of rounds through them, I have never needed to use a forward assist once, not once either on a rifle that had one or one that didn't.

Seems like a fair price to be able to get into an AR for recreational shooting.

Without the forward assist we will need a new acronym.

SPORTS

Slap the magazine
Pull the charging handle
Observe the ejection port for obstructions
Release the charging handle
Tap the forward assist
Squeeze the trigger again

I have used the forward assist to bring the bolt into battery when dealing with a dirty weapon. It is not that often but I found it useful in a situation where you can not stop what you are doing to clean a rifle.

For recreational shooting, I say go for it.

clinton

Bearcat
I got my DPMS Sportical about three months ago. Past the 1000 rnd mark last weekend. About 50% of that has been cheaper steel case ammo. No problems of any kind. Fun stuff.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the advice,tips, comments. Must be the most well informed gun forum on earth! My only concern is the cost, never bought any weapon over $350 yet. Just a another fun gun for me, have Rugers in.22,.357,.45,& 9mm. Have others brands in all those cal. plus 12 & 16 ga. I feel better with all your comments ,now, so if I decide to do it, I will feel ok. Thanks,all.

volshooter

Buckeye
Finally got to sight in my AR with the handle mounted 3x9. Took 3, 3 shot groups to get on target at 100 yards. Took a dozen plastic drink bottles to play with. I only took Wolf poly ammo and it was quite fun watching those bottles jump into the air. This is the first Wolf ammo through this Bushmaster and there were no problems at all. I put 6 mags through, non rapid fire, from a half rest off my 4 wheeler all rounds hit a 3x3 square. I'm sure off a good rest I can do better. This is actually good enough for hunting. I won't be clearing any houses or doing anything our LEO's have to do, so it works for me. Feels like a good yote rifle to me, as well as just blasting ammo with the youth.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Got the last one Monday. Plus 0 % interest for 12 months. Now we have stage 2 fire restictions till 8/1, unless it rains before then. No shooting in National Forest. Neighbor is an Eotech rep, so a sight is on the way. Looks like it may be awhile before test fire. :(

martyj

Blackhawk
Build your own off of GB. Kind of fun and you can pick out what you want and dont want.
I enjoyed it and mine will shoot .625 MOA at 100 yards. I have just a little over 600.00 in it.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I have never used the forward assist after a lot of rounds through an M-16. Not sure I know anyone who has used it. I do kind of like the dust cover for when you go out to the boonies, but not a must have I don't suppose. The S&W M&P Sport version does not have the dust cover or forward assist and it is a popular and successful rifle by all accounts.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
martyj said:
Build your own off of GB. Kind of fun and you can pick out what you want and dont want.
I enjoyed it and mine will shoot .625 MOA at 100 yards. I have just a little over 600.00 in it.

Way too much out there to know what I want. Did a little research & didn't see any savings. Got the eotech site, very cool. No rain , so still no shooting. Our new range is open in a few weeks, so maybe then for the first rounds down range.

batmann

Single-Sixer
The original M-16 (AR) had no 'Forward' assist or shell casing deflector, but did have a dust cover. The FA and deflector were added later.
I am like most others, I have never used my FA, but I feel the dust cover is a worth while addition.
The deflector is one of the most important additons, IMHO, as the early versions tended to occasionaly kick a spent casing in your eye. Nothing like have a hot shell casing hit you in the eye to get your attention!

Snake45

Hawkeye
batmann said:
The original M-16 (AR) had no 'Forward' assist or shell casing deflector, but did have a dust cover. The FA and deflector were added later.
The deflector wasn't added until the A2 version, which also included "improved" sights, a longer buttstock, symmetrical (round) handguards, and a finger-thingie on the pistol grip.

Latest posts