Noise Level - SR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I admit this question is for a friend of mine as my SR doesn't bother me as I wear muffs. He uses his for coyote hunting and loves the accuracy of the weapon but he says it's way too loud for his taste. I'm wondering if a change in the muzzle brake would solve the problem in that when I looked at mine it doesn't look like many of my other rifles. If I didn't already have one I'd buy it from him as he has a decent scope on it as well and I'm sure I could get a "deal".

grobin

Blackhawk
He might want to replace the muzzle brake with a https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm linear compensator. The muzzle brake trades off lower recoil for more muzzle blast and sound. The SR556 at ~7 lbs doesn't have enough recoil to warrant a muzzle brake. So using the leniar compensatory to trade slightly higher recoil for less muzzle blast and noise seems good to me.

Okay, how do I make suggestions without sounding like I'm telling somebody else how they should be doing things. I can't, so I'll speak only for myself.

I cannot imagine any reason for using a muzzle brake on a AR/SR. They have relatively little recoil to start with, and some muzzle brakes can make the sound pattern truly punishing.

A flash hider, for me makes the sound pattern easier on the shooter than on bystanders. Although I'd never suggest NOT using ear protection, the AR/SR with a flash hider is one of the least punishing noise levels of any center fire rifle, to the shooter. And about a flash hider...I use them as muzzle protection only. I could care less about a flash.

pisgah

Buckeye
If it were one of my shooting buddies, I'd say, "Well, dummy, if it bothers you either get some hearing protection, or buy a different muzzle device or longer-barrelled upper, and quit whining about it."

None of my buddies would take offense, either.

The 10-22s have less noise. Noise is subjective so, what bothers him might not all others. There is hearing protection to to used when shooting and some even while hunting. I wear them to at range and hunting. You and he should too.