SR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MKIV

Bearcat
Just wanted to post up some pics and comments on my SR556 Takedown.

I purchased it last year and have been tinkering with it ever since. It's amazing how easy it is to tinker with these EBR's (Evil Black Rifles - as my wife calls them) and I have been enjoying it at the range each time I add or change some feature.

I started out using a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 but figured out I need a bit more magnification so that optic was relegated to a .22LR. Currently I am running a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50 optic on a Team Warne mount with a Brownells riser, a Harris bi-pod with cantilevered picatinny rail adapter, some KeyMod handguard grip blanks, a MagPul angled forward grip, a MagPul MS3 QD sling and a Tango Down rear QD sling mount.

I haven't done anything with the trigger (yet) as I have no issue with how the stock one works. It has a nice positive takeup and breaks cleanly with no notchiness or significant pull.

I have been busy checking different ammo and bullet weights. The most consistent results seem to come from the PMC XTAC 62gr M855 rounds. During my next range session I will be going up a bit in bullet weight, to some 68 gr and 75 gr Hornady Superformance and TAP. While not the most cost effective plinking rounds, they may be a bit more accurate at longer distance for the random 'yote or digger. We'll see.

Anyway, enough words, time for some pics!

DSC_0066_zps6bday71r.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsol0xtoyf.jpg

DSC_0088_zpsfoynysut.jpg

Ruger%20Optic%2001_zps6pm9kysb.jpg

gasbag

Blackhawk
I just brought one home 4 days ago from my LGS.
Oh dear.
I didn't realize how much extra this thing was going to cost me.
I am going to show your pictures to my wife and say, "See? This guy did some
really neat things to his rifle. Can I huh? Please please please???"
I have begging down to a fine art....... :mrgreen:

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Very nice, I just bought one yesterday My 1st Black gun. When Ruger released the 556 at the NRA show in 2009 I wanted one badly but waited for them to work all the bugs out and finally pulled the trigger yesterday. Not sure but I think I got a good buy at $1750 for this option brand new in box unopened. I should have it here in the next few days after it gets shipped and am excited to hold it.

Any tips for a newby AR owner will be much appreciated.

Dan

MKIV

Bearcat
Congrats on the new EBR (Evil Black Rifle), Dan.

So which model did you purchase?

As far as tips, my first one is to spend some time familiarizing yourself with how the AR pattern rifle works. Practice with an empty magazine, load, unload, reload, safe/fire/safe, find the charging handle without looking for it, find the bolt stop and safety without looking for them either. Take it apart and put it back together a few times.

As far as what to add, well, that depends a lot on how you plan to use it.

Optics are nice but not absolutely necessary. The flip up sights on the weapon are perfectly serviceable. I added an optic as I will be primarily shooting longer distances. I may end up adding a small red dot at 45 degrees but I haven't decided on that yet.

I replaced the charging handle with a Patriot Ordnance Tomahawk ambidextrous unit. I wanted to be able to use either side finger hook to charge the weapon, and, at time have the ability to open it with two fingers should it jam for whatever reason.

A MS styled sling might be of some interest if you plan on carrying it a lot. There are some really nice quick disconnect (QD) sling mounts available that fit the handguard. I used a Tango Down carbine QD rear sling mount. I selected that one so I could add the sling mount without removing the stock and buffer tube to install a sling ring mount.

Spend some time trying different bullet weights. I tried 5 or 6, settling in on 62 gr 5.56 by PMC. I know that 62gr rounds from other companies, such as Federal's American Eagle line, will also work. But get 4 or 5 20 round boxes of various loads to start with.

I added some grip covers to the hand guard. I like grippy surfaces on my weapons so that works for me.

The trigger in the SR ain't the best but it is a positive 2-stage operation so I'm used to it. There are better triggers out there but you can decide if you need/want one or not.

Lastly, and one of the first things you should do, is RTFM. "Read The F***ing Manual". It's a good first step just to become familiar with the loading, charging, clearing and safing process.

MKIV

Bearcat
Ah yes...that's exactly what I purchased, Dan.

What I can't figure out is where are my "folding iron sighs" they reference in the data table. :wink:

You'll love it!

Careful...there are a LOT of keymod accessories out there. It's easy to get carried away...see what @gasbag wrote in post #2. I told the wife that each and every mod I did to the rifle was to improve functionality of the weapon..."You need this to do that." "And this is needed so you can <insert lame excuse here>." It seems to have worked... LOL

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
I am just a crotchety old man lol, Single and proud of it :) No permission needed for anything I decide I want !!! Woohoo

So as I get familiar with the rifle I will make the mods I want. but it will be a slow process. Oh wait Gun show local this weekend lol well maybe a few goodies will be bought lol. still have not received the gun yet so it will be hard to say what I want.

Thanks

Dan

Latest posts