No Revolvers for Me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ColColt

Bearcat
I was at the range Friday trying out my newly acquired S&W 6906 and next to me was a guy with a SP101. We talked about it for a while and he let me shoot it. It wasn't all that pleasurable in that the rear trigger guard kept whacking my knuckle. I guess that was the deciding factor of whether I was going to get one or not and that little experience settled it for me.

Yesterday they had a gun show and I saw several SP101's and picked one up to see why shooting one had bothered my knuckle and it seems it was nearly right up against the trigger guard. So, I tried a S&W 3 inch 686 and it was a bit further away but still close and I can imagine I'd experience pretty much the same thing with it. Maybe I'm bound to just shoot the autos. Sad as I really liked the SP101 and the 686+ in 3 inch as well but, neither am I into pain.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The Hogue fixes this problem for sure..
Don't overlook the SP-101..
Have a Look at this picture & image were your middle finger will sit
Ruger SP101s with Hogue Monogrips
mydaosp101s3of.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
ColColt said:
I was at the range Friday trying out my newly acquired S&W 6906 and next to me was a guy with a SP101. We talked about it for a while and he let me shoot it. It wasn't all that pleasurable in that the rear trigger guard kept whacking my knuckle. I guess that was the deciding factor of whether I was going to get one or not and that little experience settled it for me.

Yesterday they had a gun show and I saw several SP101's and picked one up to see why shooting one had bothered my knuckle and it seems it was nearly right up against the trigger guard. So, I tried a S&W 3 inch 686 and it was a bit further away but still close and I can imagine I'd experience pretty much the same thing with it. Maybe I'm bound to just shoot the autos. Sad as I really liked the SP101 and the 686+ in 3 inch as well but, neither am I into pain.

I believe I know how you feel, with your finger being knocked by the trigger guard. Here is what I did with my SP-101, Trausch grips; no more knuckles being hit.

p1010002ki.jpg

ColColt

Bearcat
The last time I had a 357 was back in the mid '70's and that was a M28 S&W. Shortly after that one I bought a M25(45 Colt) and I've always reloaded. I don't recall either of them doing this. Of course, they were bigger N size frames.

I'd hate to change the grips as that's one of the things I liked about the SP101 and the Talo grips with the S&W 686+ are absolutely beautiful...to me anyway and I'd hate to change those. Buying a pistol and having to change the grips should be something the manufacturers should have known about and looked into when they put the factory grips on in the beginning.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Don't be so quick to judge. I love revolvers and also have 10 or 12 auto's. I prefer to shoot my revolvers over the auto's. I usually carry a 1911 when traveling but for everyday shooting and hunting I go to my single actions because of the big increase in power that revolvers allow you. I have several double action revolvers but like the single actions more.

Couple of things coming to my little mind...

Back in the seventies, no guns battered my middle finger. I suspect my fingers (and knuckles), got bigger.

Since many guns now batter this previously unbashed finger, I find it is very important to only put only two fingers on a two-finger grip. My pinky rests very comfortably below the grip, and my knuckle thanks me for it. This now also applies to my Blackhawks.

WAYNO.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I had an SP and it did the same thing. The Hogue grips corrected this problem but it still had a nasty, rock hard trigger pull. I traded it on a sweet Marlin 1895 and am quite satisfied with that decision. 8)

timnc

Single-Sixer
One of the big advantages of a revolver is the ability to tailor the grip to your hand. Of the handguns I own 75% have non-factory grips. Of the one's w/ factory grips all but one are semi-autos. The larger the caliber the more you need the "right" grip.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,
Hoques will make a difference. Also you might want to try a Ruger Security/Speed Six in a 2.75 or 3.0 inch barrel. For me the Six series of revolvers fit my hands better than the SP 101. Couple of times I have considered a SP 101 but because of the way they feel in my hand I have passed on the deal. Aftermarket grips make a huge diffenence so don't discount any revolver. There my preferred handgun.

Good luck
Howard

maxpress

Buckeye
You might look into a 3" GP100. Not as "compact" between the grip and guard.
I hold my SP a little higher I'm guessing than you on the backstrap and only have my middle and ring finger on the grip with pinky under (all that will fit) A slight adjustment to your grip may be all thats needed.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I always reply to revolver-haters with the final words of the "pistolero", shot after getting a stovepipe jam in the middle of a firefight -

"I should have brought a revolver!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Yeah, it always seems to get down to that old adage, "would you rather have 15 maybe's or 6 sure ones"? Don't you just love that "old" argument???...............Dick :wink:

Merlinspop

Bearcat
Most autos' grips are part of the molded in polymer. They are what they are and there's not a lot you can do about them. So I suspect that the OP is used to plastic autos. NOT that there's anything wrong with them; it just creates an mindset. But revolver guys and 1911 guys are used to using grip changes to achieve the fit or look they want. I put Hogue grips on my 1911 and never looked back. Some folks change out grips like they change underwear. ;-)

maxpress

Buckeye
The thing about revolvers is ya just cant get the power to size ratio in an auto. the glock 29 comes closest but its a pain to shoot well.

ColColt

Bearcat
Pal Val said:
I always reply to revolver-haters with the final words of the "pistolero", shot after getting a stovepipe jam in the middle of a firefight -

If that's directed at me might I assure you I'm no revolver "hater". I just don't enjoy pain at 64 years old. I've had my share of revolvers and autos alike but don't recall-not even the Super Blackhawk, hitting my knuckle. Maybe it's just a bad size for me(SP101 that is) as I've had SA and DA revolvers and this was a first that I recall.

As for revolver vs wheel gun, they both have their good qualities and bad ones and rest assured they can both go belly up at the range or at the moment of truth. I've see bullets(not reloads) creep out of cases and tie a revolver up. Imagine that in a fire fight. A stove pipe jam or a fail to feed is much easier to clear than a bullet jumping forward and tying up the gun if you've practiced clearing jams. By the time you look to see what happened and spin the cylinder, hopefully in the right direction, you just gave the BG enough time to drill a hole in you. Worse yet, I've seen and experienced duds from the factory with no powder, only the primer launching the bullet far enough into the forcing cone to tie it up as well. So, enough said about that.

Maybe a Security Six would be a better bet-if I can find one to even hold-much less shoot.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have to admit that the pistol vs revolver argument is going to be around for a while. De gustibus non disputandum

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
ColColt said:
Pal Val said:

If that's directed at me might I assure you I'm no revolver "hater". I just don't enjoy pain at 64 years old. I've had my share of revolvers and autos alike but don't recall-not even the Super Blackhawk, hitting my knuckle. Maybe it's just a bad size for me(SP101 that is) as I've had SA and DA revolvers and this was a first that I recall.

As for revolver vs wheel gun, they both have their good qualities and bad ones and rest assured they can both go belly up at the range or at the moment of truth. I've see bullets(not reloads) creep out of cases and tie a revolver up. Imagine that in a fire fight. A stove pipe jam or a fail to feed is much easier to clear than a bullet jumping forward and tying up the gun if you've practiced clearing jams. By the time you look to see what happened and spin the cylinder, hopefully in the right direction, you just gave the BG enough time to drill a hole in you. Worse yet, I've seen and experienced duds from the factory with no powder, only the primer launching the bullet far enough into the forcing cone to tie it up as well. So, enough said about that.

Maybe a Security Six would be a better bet-if I can find one to even hold-much less shoot.

Again try one of these below. Its the best kept secret in revolvers. The hoques did wonders for me and my hands. I am over 60 yrs of age. I have issues with my hands too.

Howard
Police Service Six 4 inch

RugerServiceSix.jpg