No new truck for me. (Sad)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Blackhawk
Ford dropped F150 4x4 trucks with stick shift back in 2010. UNFORGIVABLE!!! I had a 2015 F150 4x4 extended cab but totaled it in a bad wreck. Replaced it with a 2019 four door 4x4. I hope it outlasts me.
Paul B.
Yeah, it's too bad.

In the 80's I was on a business trip in Europe and a senior manager from my company (who had no skills in the industry) went there on a junket and at breakfast one morning she was in a huff because they did not have any rental cars with an automatic transmission. I said (sotto voce) "it's too bad you don't know how to drive" she heard that and boy was she ticked off! She said "I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE" and I said, "Lady, you can drive a bus, truck, tractor or anything with wheels and a manual transmission once you learn to drive if not, you do not know how to drive. Ticked off +2

THEN, after saying that she figured to bully me and said that being a manager it was too bad for me that I was going to drive her about the country after work and weekends. I told her that no way was I going to drive her around on my evenings and days off and to get a taxi... she left the table and never spoke to me again :)

It's a good thing she wasn't MY manager!

Attachments

• antitheft_sticker.jpg
    antitheft_sticker.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 14

XP100

Blackhawk
Hey! Where upstate N.Y?

We lived in a little town called Phoenicia, well actually several miles out of town in Woodland Valley. Some of the best trout fishing I ever had.
Lust outside Ithaca in the Fingerlakes area. Had a Gun Shop there. Damn near bankrupted me when Cuomo passed the SAFE Act.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Wow, I had no idea about current prices. I might be able to sell my 2017 truck for more than I paid!

It is a Chevy 3500HD LTZ diesel 4x4 dually crew cab w/8 foot box.
How many miles? It's worth more than you think. First year for the L5P that has a few small issues (#4 injector and connector, low coolant warning sensor in the surge tank, three block heater recalls, MAP sensor getting choked) but are in demand, especially a 4WD dually. In 2021 we were giving $75K for that truck with 90K miles. Not worth that now but still worth a bunch.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
How many miles?
6000 miles in 6.5 years. Actually, I think it is about 5800 miles, but I rounded up.

Bought it during a "Chevy Truck Month" promo in 2017. I didn't even know they had a shindig going on, I had just seen online that they had this truck and a similar GMC in stock so drove my old truck up there. It was a big party when I got there, food, games, prizes, etc. I played the cash grab game where you use one hand to snag as much paper money as you can out of a machine blowing it all around with a fan. I got $92 from that, then because they were so busy giving away a Traverse in a lottery, I had to wait and wait to get my trade deal done and after the party was over, the owner of the dealership who knew I was buying a fancy truck came out to break down the cash machine and took pity on me waiting and handed me another $50 bill from the box. So a $142 cash rebate. And a free lunch. And a full tank of diesel. I've probably not filled it up more than maybe 7 times since then.

Anyway, even in only 6K miles, I've had the first 3 issues you mentioned. And a few others like an exhaust sensor causing failed regens, and inop heated seats. Have not had the dirty MAP sensor problem yet but am aware of it.

hike

Bearcat
Just got my "new" truck last week. It's a 2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with all the bells and whistles. Well it does now since I had remote start installed yesterday. Thought about getting a brand new one next year. Did the math and decided I could buy a lot of gas with the difference between new and previously owned. And I mean A LOT OF GAS!
View attachment 42896

We did something similar even knowing that POTUS Biden has, again, limited fossil fuel production in the USA and is still demanding that the majority of vehicles will be EVs by 2032 and California is limiting ICE vehicles on the road (which Biden is bound to imitate nationwide).
My state implemented a $100 car license surcharge for Hybrids so even Hybrids and EVs have to start paying a share of road costs to make up for lost gas taxes.
Last year, I heard that 2025 automobiles will have "Kill Switches" so that Law Enforcement Officers will be able to disable cars as they are moving and that universal breathalyzers will be required in every new vehicle at some point and the breathalyzers determine if the vehicle will even start.
All of these make older use/pre-owned vehicle a better idea (if it's a reliable brand).
Kudos on your Tundra!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Anyway, even in only 6K miles, I've had the first 3 issues you mentioned. And a few others like an exhaust sensor causing failed regens, and inop heated seats. Have not had the dirty MAP sensor problem yet but am aware of it.

2017+ don't like short trips even more than 2010-2016. Your truck is probably worth $60K even though it's around seven years old. A dealer would likely give $53-55K in trade.

roylt

Hunter
I didn't read all the pages but yes everything is way out of my price range. The newest vehicle I have is my daily which is a 2008 sienna. Saved for a long time and was tired of putting up with buying 1500 dollar vans that lasted one year. Got so bad the last one I got had the check engine light pop on before I even got home from the dealer but I was in a bind. Dropped the cash on the sienna and have not looked back for 6 or so years.
Now I have been trying to find a manual mini truck to not only teach my kids to drive stick but also work as my mid life crisis. haha.
Trucks from the 90s with 200 - 300K miles are still 3 - 7K!!! Ridiculous! So I will just keep wishing I guess and try to get lucky with some older guy downsizing.
Manual beater anything would be cool.
I wish the next generation good luck (my kids included) it is harder and harder for an average person to make ends meet.