No new truck for me. (Sad)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yup, I just needed a new work truck for actual work.
Priced a few new bare bones 4 wheel drive half ton "work trucks" standard two door cab and
eight foot box, about as low option as they build them. Depending on brand $45,000 to $48,000.
Holy crap!
Actually ended up buying a used 2019 for about half that. Too soon to tell, but if it's not a POS
it'll do what I need for a while, don't plan on working forever.

Give it some time, with the government forcing auto manufacturers to abide by CAFE standards only the large footprint HD trucks are sitting on lots right now as new rules require a certain percentage of vehicles delivered in that state must be EVs. Something has to give at some point as consumers and dealers are reaching the breaking point. Unfortunately if someone that believes in the green agenda wins the White House next election the pain will continue to worsen until runaway inflation extreme poverty is the norm. We have a $90,000 level three charger, that Stellantis forced us to buy, sitting in a shed until PPL can do a feasibility study some time in 2024 to see if they can get enough power to our dealership to have it installed...this is insanity.

hittman

Staff member
Well, you're looking at one of the most expensive trucks on the market. Why anybody would even look at a GMC over the Chevrolet version is beyond me.

Local Chevy store here has 23 different 2500HD models in stock from $54k to $85K. The 2 or 3 higher priced models have a bunch of dealer added accessories.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Well, you're looking at one of the most expensive trucks on the market. Why anybody would even look at a GMC over the Chevrolet version is beyond me.

Local Chevy store here has 23 different 2500HD models in stock from $54k to $85K. The 2 or 3 higher priced models have a bunch of dealer added accessories.
It was an accident. Not really looking for a truck. My wife and I were at the local Cafe having some breakfast. Next door is the GMC dealer. For fun rolled through. Kept rolling with deer in headlights looks. Amazing surprise.

hittman

Staff member
Been looking at Chevy 1500 Extended cab, Standard box, 4x4's even if I can get over the mid $50k price try finding one that is not black, white or silver with the Gideon interior… talk about unicorn hunting
My 21 Silverado 1500 RST stickered at $54k. Four door short bed though. Seems here the standard and extended cabs aren't seen very much. Neither are the old 8 foot bed unless it's a WT. Mine is a burgandy color, not sure what they named it. The interior is "Dark Atmosphere" that I really like cause its different.

gunzo

Hunter
I'm not under the impression that GMC's cost more than Chevys, but the local Chevy dealer has 65, 2500 series 4x4 trucks on the lot . They start at 56K & end at 88K.
Too doggone much, but not 100K.

Change dealers.

I wouldn't buy a new vehicle even if I had the cash in my pocket. Since I've 'retired' (again), I actually need to downsize my vehicle stable. Son has been telling me what my 'old' Chevy pickups are selling for. OMG! The cost of new has pushed the residual value of older vehicles into hard to believe levels.

Two years ago I bought a nice, one owner 2013 F150 with 60k miles for $19000. Traded in a 2009 Dodge Dakota with 95k on it and got $8200 for it. Two days later my wife and I went out to eat and saw the Dakota in the parking lot.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I'm not under the impression that GMC's cost more than Chevys, but the local Chevy dealer has 65, 2500 series 4x4 trucks on the lot . They start at 56K & end at 88K.
Too doggone much, but not 100K.

Change dealers.
They don't , it depends on the packages and extras .

A friend just bought a Ford F350 and spent over $100,000.00 for it. Whatever happened to a pickup with a bench seat, four on the floor and a bed that you could actually lay a 4 x 8 foot sheet of plywood INside the bed?
Hey I had one of those that I bought for $500 in 1978. A 68 Chevy 6 cylinder 3 speed with a 8' bed and you could wash the mud out of the inside floor with a hose :) I used it to move with twice and built our house along with driving it to work. It started using oil due to bad rings so I sold it for $300 in 1983. I think I got my moneys worth;);) I don't think they make real work trucks anymore. Maybe work cars that look kind of like trucks.

My first new Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup cost around $7500 and I only got around $2500 for a 4year F-100 old trade in. The last time I bought a new vehicle was 1986. I had a couple of new leased(leasing had tax advantages) vehicles in the 90's but everything else has been bought used. That 'new car smell' simply costs too much.

Johnnu2

Hunter
IMHO, the problem is with the words "loaded up". The new generation(s) of libs needing pick-ups to impress their friends and the yuppies needing all the bells and whistles and SUPER sound systems and TECHIE junk..... it ain't a truck no more, is it (?)
I think we all need to get REAL..........
J.