Nice article about 41 Magnum Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
Interesting article about Ruger Bisley 41 magnum. For us, who like 41 magnum, especially Bisley, this article is just another conformation what we knew from the first moment we pulled the trigger. I could shoot all day long 41-210/220 gr at 1100-1200 fps. Too bad that stainless Bisley 41 Magnum never been available in Canada.

.41 Magnum Bisley & Bullet, Keith Style!
https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/41-magnum-bisley-bullet-elmer-keith-style/

Can't argue with this one:

"Using Elmer's 20 grains of 2400, sparked by a large pistol primer, gives me 1,500+ fps from most guns. It's as accurate as I can hold, usually going 1-1.5" at 25 yards and 2" at 50 yards."

Information i didn't know before:

"In 1984, Bill Ruger, against advice of his staff, released his version of the Bisley grip for the Blackhawk single-action revolver."

However, there is something I cannot agree with author. He wrote:

"The Lyman/Ideal 410459 was also designed by Elmer shortly after the .41 Magnum came into being in 1964."

The truth is:

"The Keith SWC for the .41 Magnum is the H&G #258. Lyman drew up the 410459 and called it a "Keith bullet" and Elmer got steamed because he had nothing to do with its design and there were several things abou it that he didn't like (small meplat, uneven driving bands, rounded grease groove, etc.). That being said, the 410459 is an accurate bullet that shoots flat."
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?51235-lyman-410459-41magnum&p=545871&viewfull=1#post545871

contender

Ruger Guru
Occasionally, someone posts a question somewhere about "Why the .41 Mag?" I kinda smile,, and remember the young & inexperienced guy I was in my youth.
Until you try one,, most never truly understand.
As a youngster,, I used to look at the .41 mag ammo, and compare it's looks to a .44 Mag. And I figured that they were so close,, that the .41 wasn't quite the caliber the .44 was,, and besides,, Dirty Harry was my hero back then,, so the .44 MUST be the best.
Then,, I shot my first one.
Uh-oh,,,,,,,,,, the dummy light went on.
This was sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
Fast forward to now,, and I enjoy the .41 Mag for what it was built for & more. And I smile,, because I understand.
And the Bisley .41,, as noted,, is darn near perfect.

In fact,, I often reflect that I shoot a lot more .45's, .41's, and even .357 Maxi's than I do in my .44's.
But,, make no mistake,, I still appreciate the .44's. Another FT .44 arrived yesterday. :D :D

I've got a Bisley 41 Magnum. It is indeed fun to shoot. It's a heavy gun, but really accurate. I remember getting it in the fall, and that winter my in-laws came to visit. So I went to the range a lot. I put about 1000 rounds through it over that year's Christmas break.