New Vaquero sight adjustment tips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
You guys have been a big help with some previous questions I had with my New Vaquero and here comes another one!
It is shooting aprox 3" left of point of aim @ 10-15 yrds. This has been verified by a couple of my experienced shooting friends also.
I have read on the forum here of a couple ways of addressing this from filing the rear sight channel on the right side or turning the barrel just a smidge clockwise (viewed from the front). I am curious what you all think would be your preferred method?
Filing the rear sight is something I could do myself but its a blue gun and I am really not to excited about taking a file to it if there is a better way.
A small tweak of the barrel seems like the cleanest way. Shouldn't take much but can a gunsmith do this without marring the bluing? I suppose turning it can close up the cylinder/barrel gap clearance too much?
I currently have the cylinder sent off to Mr Cylindersmith so now it a good time to play with the sights while I am waiting.
I also realize I could probably send it off to Ruger but I would prefer to do minor tweaking locally.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
VL

tek4260

Buckeye
Reducing the pull weight with a new spring, plus taking about 1/2 the sear engagement out brought mine to within about an inch at 25 yards when it was previously about 3" off as yours. I tweaked the sight a slight bit to the left and corrected the rest. This summer, it will be sent off to have a dovetailed front sight along with a S&W style rear added. This is the best solution IMHO.

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
tek4260":xsp8qat5 said:
I tweaked the sight a slight bit to the left and corrected the rest.

Thanks tek. When you say "tweaked the sight a slight bit to the left" do you mean a slight bend? How was this done?
I will look into the spring changes also.
Thanks

VL

tek4260

Buckeye
Well it's not the best method, but I simply bent the blade to the left. It is barely noticible as it doesn't take much to move it an inch at 25 yards. Unless you really look, you would never notice.