New Vaquero aluminum gripframes??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stu454

Bearcat
As best I can tell, all of the New Vaqueros and new OM size guns all have steel or stainless gripframes.

No aluminum :(

I'm not too familiar with all of the in's and out's of Ruger gripframes and their interchangability.

What options are there to get an aluminum frame of the same dimensions onto the new revolvers?

Thanks!

Flash

Buckeye
Stu454":3k12em84 said:
What options are there to get an aluminum frame of the same dimensions onto the new revolvers?

Thanks!

They all (new models) will fit. I believe a new hammer strut, spring and keeper will be necessary along with your new frame if your gun has a under grip lock. I'm not sure how the new Vaquero's are being shipped.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
The New Vaqueros all have steel grip frames which have the same profile as the original XR3 grip frame but are 1/16" thinner than the original. Of course the New Vaquero, and all modern Ruger single action revolvers with the black plastic grips, have the lock on the hammer strut. You might be able to get a current production aluminum XR3-RED grip frame designed for the lock from Ruger. I personally find the XR3 grip frame to be more comfortable for "small" loads, but YMMV.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Stu454":d9x2z8ip said:

Thanks!

Very slim, to darn near zero. The XR3-RED is now being produced in Aluminum with provisions for the confounded lock. I'm not against the lock, per se, but I absolutely despise the whimpy mainsprings they are using!

flatgate

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Sir. Flatgate, correct me if I am wrong, but the new XR3-RED should fit the New Vaquero. Correct? You'll need to do some work, like remove the frame supports, but dimensionally it should fit on the NV "receiver".

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Steel frames are better when you have to beat someone down with the butt of the revolver.