New (to me) P85, where do I begin?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattz357

Bearcat
The one I got looks like a 1990 model so it may need the recall work. Is there any way to tell if it has already had the recall? It is just a P85, not a MKII, so are there any issues with parts interchanging if I need anything? I downloaded a manual, but are there any good resources or videos on detailed disassembly? It is pretty dirty, and the mag has to pressed pretty firmly to lock in, so I want to be prepared to get all the nooks and crannies clean. I am going to need a couple new mags and I don't care if they are 10 or 15 round. I've read that there can be issues with mags fitting in the older guns, what should I look for when I buy mags? I would like to get a set of hogue wraparound grips and spend a few hours cleaning. I pick it up Monday and I can't wait. Thanks for any info or help!

roylt

Hunter
If you call Ruger they will know if the recall was done based on the SN. Also the manual will tell you how to field strip. berettapistols made a post on taking the 89 model apart and the 85 is close to that. As for mags look for 85 model mags. I would get only factory mags if it was me. Hogues can be picked up any place. good used units on ebay may be OK but I would stay around $25 bucks or less. If you want them to have the Ruger logo, again Ruger will mail it but it will be closer to $40 bucks.

Post a picture, I'm a P-nut and always like to see more.

Feel free to post any and all question, range reports or anything else.

Keep the P-guns alive!

mattz357

Bearcat
Should I be concerned about replacing any springs or wear parts as preventative maintenance? I'm comfortable with field strip, its detail strip I'd be a little concerned about, I'll search for that post. I've seen a couple of slides for sale, if I find a stainless slide from a regular or MKII is it ok to swap them, or am I asking for trouble? Thanks!

roylt

Hunter
I think Rugnelli is right but I would still call Ruger and see what they say. As for swapping slides, I have done it with my 85 but never took it to the range to try it. bench tests great. I have swapped 89 parts and range tested as well as 94 and 944 models.

My avitar is my blue 89 with stainless upper. I also added some 95 model bits to it. (trigger and decock levers)

The biggest thing to remember is be safe. What ever you try be sure you are sure it is safe. Don't want to hurt yourself.

Oh, as for springs etc. if it runs fine now it will probably run fine for your kids when they start shooting. I have spare parts but not because I feel I need them but because they came with the parts kits I have purchased.

mattz357

Bearcat
A stainless slide would be great, but I don't know if I would try to change much else. The wait is going to kill me, Monday is never going to get here! :)

Red Rhino

Bearcat
The early P85 pistols that have been retro-fit for safety have "MK II" stamped into the right side safety lever.

If in doubt, I'd agree that a call to Ruger will straighten things out.

Enjoy

sargents1

Single-Sixer
mattz357 said:
The one I got looks like a 1990 model so it may need the recall work. Is there any way to tell if it has already had the recall? It is just a P85, not a MKII, so are there any issues with parts interchanging if I need anything? I downloaded a manual, but are there any good resources or videos on detailed disassembly? It is pretty dirty, and the mag has to pressed pretty firmly to lock in, so I want to be prepared to get all the nooks and crannies clean. I am going to need a couple new mags and I don't care if they are 10 or 15 round. I've read that there can be issues with mags fitting in the older guns, what should I look for when I buy mags? I would like to get a set of hogue wraparound grips and spend a few hours cleaning. I pick it up Monday and I can't wait. Thanks for any info or help!

If it says MKII on the slide, it has had the recall change done. Plus, the gun was originally released in 1987, so a unit built in 1990 is almost certainly a MKII.

I wouldnt worry about cleaning it fastidiously (Unless you are the type that likes nice clean guns)...chances are a little grime wont hamper the function, but a quick range session will let you know one way or another.

I wouldnt worry about the mags being a little hard to press in as long as they seat and release properly.

Speaking of mags, I have tried many different brands of mags and all have worked fine in my gun. If yours is a 1990 model, i would expect the same.

A user named Berettapistols posted a great writeup on how to do dis-assembly on a P89/85. It should be easy enough to find with a little Google-Fu.

good luck and dont forget to post a Range Report with pictures.

My suggestion is to just spray some lube on it and take it to the range and put 50 rounds though it and see what happens.... do this before cleaning. I know this is contrary to what others suggest but sometimes this really helps with knowing what you got.