New to me GP100 (GP141) - info needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scarface

Bearcat
Looking to find some info on a GP100 I recently picked up. Has wood grips (with factory emblem), Gold inlay lettering, factory box and papers, extremly smooth trigger. Serial # 170-05141, basically I haven't seen another one like this with the wood grips (just the rubber with wood insert or the hogue's)

Joe S.

Hunter
First time ive seen those grips. Looks like some Eagle grips i have on an old Smith i own.

That serial number makes it first year of manufacture (1986). It also looks like a non standard front sight and of course the non standard grips as they are 2 piece grips.

Interesting gun, I would get it papered by Ruger to see how it actually left the factory.

Alpo

Bearcat
That's a nice looking geep. Congrats! Good luck on the info hunt.

wproct

Single-Sixer
That is one fine GP100 you picked up there. I'm guessing that the grips are aftermarket, but they sure do look nice. That one's a keeper! :D

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Beautiful grips; I'm pretty sure that they're the optional Letts wood grips that were available from both Ruger or Letts for a period, likely up to some point in the 1990s. They were shown in at least one of the Ruger catalogs as an available option. Yours if literally the first GP100 that I've seen with them. They certainly look functional, and aesthetically are a great match with your blued GP100.

Best, Jon

Scarface

Bearcat
I still haven't found much on the grips, although they do appear similar to some Letts I have found on the internet. ...and they are comfortable to shoot with.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Looks like one to me, too-and it's a very nice, and unfortunately out-of-production desirable upgrade-I've got Millett Orange Bar's on both my GP100 and Security Six.

It would appear that the original owner of the original poster's new-to-him GP really knew what he was doing, and made some deliberate and judicious choices; I would not at all be surprised to find that the GP has the Wolff spring kit spring substitutions for the main and trigger return springs and other subtle mods.

Best, Jon

Scarface

Bearcat
P94/GP100 said:
Looks like one to me, too-and it's a very nice, and unfortunately out-of-production desirable upgrade-I've got Millett Orange Bar's on both my GP100 and Security Six.

It would appear that the original owner of the original poster's new-to-him GP really knew what he was doing, and made some deliberate and judicious choices; I would not at all be surprised to find that the GP has the Wolff spring kit spring substitutions for the main and trigger return springs and other subtle mods.

Best, Jon

I have not opened it up yet. Is there any way to identify aftermarket springs? It does have a way smoother trigger than I have ever felt on a Ruger. Unfortunatly the original owner has passed away, and I bought this from his nephew (the inheritor), who couldn't tell me much on this revolver.
Any thoughts on the gold inlay lettering?

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
The gold inlay is probably "crayon applied;" that is, there are application rub-on "crayons" in different colors for exactly this sort of thing. Eventually, through wear or cleaning, the "inlay" wears off, and needs to be re-applied.

Alternatively, of course, it could be real gold inlay applied by a jeweler or engraver, but I frankly doubt that that's the case here.

I wouldn't worry about determining the origin of the springs-that it's smoother (and possibly lighter) is a good indicator that the previous owner either performed an action job, or replaced the springs with lighter weight ones than the original, or both. If you're satisfied with the pull weight, I'd simply suggest testing the gun for reliability with a variety of ammunition; CCI primers are reputedly the hardest/most challenging, so if it'll handle CCI cartridges, you're probably good to go across the board.

You can always get Wolff's GP100 Spring Pack, which will give you a variety of mainspring and trigger return springs; a good start point (and where many stay) is to go with the 12 lb mainspring and the 10 lb trigger return spring. Those weights usually give you reliability plus a lighter triggerpull than the OEM 14 lb mainspring and 11 lb trigger return spring.

Again, you've got a handsome package-should be a keeper.

Best, Jon

Scarface

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the input. I still haven't been able to positivly identify the grips, but I'm going to assume they are a "Lets" product. Thanks again for the input.

wesm

Bearcat
I like it! Love me some 4" GP goodness. Mine that I got used is a 1986 vintage too. Congrats!

baddarryl

Bearcat
Makes me want to find some of those grips for my blued GP which as the rubber with wood inserts like everyone elses. Somehow I just like the blued ones!