NEW SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
New guy asking for opinions.
Picked up the new 5" Ruger last night and took it apart, cleaned all the grease out of it and lubed it up. Went out back and shot it at my home range. Accuracy is not an issue but function is. I also bought a 4" model last week and it performs flawlessly out of the box after a complete disassembly and clean.
Let me preface this thread by saying I`m not a newbie at the 1911 format and have garage tuned several in the past and have owned and shot Colts, Springfields, Essex and other clones through my forty years of handgunning.
BUT! Before I crack into any existing condition I always ask if someone has the same experiences to avoid going in the wrong direction. Usually saves me a heap of time and cost. So I`m new to this forum and would like to lean on some experienced SR owners out there.
Its issue is after the first couple of rounds it fails to extract the empty case and of course can`t feed the next round in the chamber. My fix was to oil it and use a couple of higher quality mags and other factory ammo to see if it was self inflicted but to no avail. Stiil did the same thing.
I did notice when disassembling for the first time the spring is very strong compared to other stock 1911`s and thought perhaps the spring is not allowing the slide to retract back far enough to get the case out.
My next step is to replace said spring with a Wolf spring (I have several to choose from) and see if that will correct but I hope someone has ran across this and has a quick fix. Normally I put a couple of hundred rounds through a new gun but at these inflated ammo prices I would like to bypass the standard break in routine and even though I reload, cost is still way up.
Anyone? Opinions appreciated. Thanks for having me.

Bill

revhigh

Hawkeye
After the VERY first 3-4 rounds only .... Or does that happen after the first 3-4 rounds for EVERY MAG ?

First off .... Leave all the springs alone. You either have an extractor issue, an inconsistent ammo issue, or a cleaning and lubrication issue.

Try some known factory ammo after a good cleaning, especially in the extractor area .... That would be my recommendation. To be honest, I've never had a recurring issue with a 1911 of any kind .... Ever. Sure ... The occasional jam or misdeed, but never a systemic problem.

Please keep us informed as to your progress.

REV

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
Consistant after the first 3-4 rounds. Suspected the magazine but tried a Wilson, McCormick Shooting Star and Pachmayer. All did the same thing. The Wilson did get 5 rounds out before stopping. Used 230 grain factory ball(never had it fail to feed in anything) 185 Hornady hollow point and my 200 SWC reloads.The firearm has been completely disassembled and scrubbed/lubricated with RemOil. No grease.
After the first stoppage I removed the firing pin and extractor and cleaned both. Visual was good and didn`t see any issues. The empty case is actually stuck in the extractor so that`s why I keyed on it. I`ll take it apart again this evening and look hard at the extractor. Maybe I missed something obvious. I do know the extractor came out tight but that`s not uncommon for a new pistol.

I hate sending a gun back so was hoping for some feedback pointing to a known issue.

Thanks for comment, Rev.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm at a loss .... Seems like you've checked most things. Is the slide cycling and it's stripping off a new round from the mag, and then slamming that round into the back of the unextracted case that's still in the chamber ?

Are you saying that after 3-4 rounds total it does it EVERY single time ?

REV

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
I thought the same thing but in most cases the new round never comes up. I`ll try it tonight and if it does that I`ll post a pic in failure.
Had me baffled...

revhigh

Hawkeye
AEROCOLOR said:
I thought the same thing but in most cases the new round never comes up. I`ll try it tonight and if it does that I`ll post a pic in failure.
Had me baffled...

If the new round doesn't come up, it would seem to be a slide cycling issue .... In which case, the slide should be going back into battery on the unextracted case .... Right ?

REV

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
Makes sense to me. I`ll verify that is the case. That`s why I questioned the spring.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Get on the phone Thurs. morning and call Ruger Service in Prescott. Describe your problem and Ask to speak with the Senior 1911 Tech. I have an ongoing discussion about 1911 magazines and they have been superb to work with.

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
The problem is apparently solved.
I took the extractor out again and smoothed the edges with emery cloth and reinstalled.
I decided to not change the spring before I gave it another chance.

It did the same thing again but on the second round of the third magazine so I ran a full box of 230RN factory loads thru it and did not get another stoppage. Accuracy is good with 3" groups @25yds being the norm with factory stuff. I ran a box of my 200SWC reloads thru it with no issues and the accuracy improved to 2" @25yds. Probably is capable of better off a rest but I`m the limiting factor as my Gold Cup is about the same results.
Very pleasant to shoot and I like the way it looks other than the rough cut logos and text on the frame & slide. Mine actually have a brown tinge (heat?) around them. I`ve always thought a pistol should have a smooth, almost slick feel to its finish. Maybe the Colts have spoiled me.

Thanks for all of the help. I`ll try to contribute sensibly to the forum when I can. I`m a big fan of the Vaquero SAA line so I`ll be over there looking around too.

Bill

revhigh

Hawkeye
AEROCOLOR said:
Maybe the Colts have spoiled me.

Bill

Glad your issue is solved. I thought it had something to do with the extractor from what you said earlier. That's some good shooting at 25 yards!

Yeah .... When you're used to Gold Cups and Pythons, it's tough to get too excited about run of the mill 1911's and regular revolvers.

Good to have another Colt fan here !

REV

dakota1911

Buckeye
From what I have read, I would be calling Ruger on this issue. I have two SR1911s (5 inch) and a SR1911CMD (4.25 inch) and have not had the issue you are describing.

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
dakota1911 said:
From what I have read, I would be calling Ruger on this issue. I have two SR1911s (5 inch) and a SR1911CMD (4.25 inch) and have not had the issue you are describing.

It`s all good now. As stated above, I massaged the extractor and now have a couple of hundred rounds thru it without stoppage. The Commander model I have never exhibited the issue over a couple of boxes fired.

I`ve been shooting a Colt slide/Essex framed 5" custom gun (Kings Gun Works) for about three decades and I think I`m going to give it a rest and wear this Ruger out. I do like the way it shoots.

Funny how things work out. A week before the Ruger became available I had purchased a Colt Series 70 Model O 100 Year stainless pistol and was going to use it as my primary range gun. After experiencing the new SR, the Colt is a safe queen for now.
We`ll see how it goes.