new Ruger Single Six Hunter w/mismatched cylinder numbers!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This is so aggravating, I just have to post this to vent.

Today I picked up, from my FFL, a brand new Ruger Single-Six Hunter, which I ordered from Bud's Gun Shop in Tennessee, which is a large internet vendor. This model had been out of stock at Bud's for awhile. I received an automatic notification when a new batch came in, and I ordered one immediately. Thus, this is a brand new, factory-packaged gun, never displayed in any retail store.

Transferring any handgun is a complicated procedure in Maryland, involving, among other things, two trips to the FFL with a seven-day waiting period in between. Today the waiting period expired. I made a 40-mile round trip and picked up the gun, paying the standard (in these parts) $50 transfer fee. I took the gun home, unpacked it, and started to read the manual. The first thing I read was a warning to check to make sure that the three numbers engraved into the two interchangeable cylinders (.22 LR and .22 WMR) match the last three digits of the serial number on the frame, because "use of the wrong cylinder can cause improper alignment or timing and may result in personal injury." I removed the .22 LR cylinder, which came installed in the frame, and found that the number that is hand-engraved in the cylinder does NOT match the frame serial number -- the middle digit in the frame serial number is a "1," while the middle digit hand-engraved on the .22 LR cylinder is clearly a "2." The first and last digits do match.

You might be thinking, "Some people make a 2 that looks pretty much like a 1." But that is not the case here. The digit hand-engraved into the .22 LR cylinder is clearly a "2," with a big curve at the top and an exaggerated right-angle corner at the bottom. It cannot possibly be mistaken for a 1.

(for the skeptical, here's a photo:)
IMG_3499.jpg

(The three digits scratched into the .22 WMR cylinder, which was packed in the Ruger case, match the last three digits on the frame.)

I discovered the mislabeled .22 LR cylinder early this evening, a Friday, after Ruger's customer service number was shut down for the weekend.

I suppose that it is likely that the cylinder is in fact properly fitted, and that the engraver misread the number on the frame -- given that only a single digit differs, and that the revolver had to be test fired at the factory. But I anticipate a great deal of hassle will ensue before this is straightened out. I suppose this will entail me shipping the entire revolver back to Ruger, at considerable inconvenience and delay in my ability to use the gun.

My frustration is magnified because I personally initiated, at my own expense, the administrative process by which the Maryland Handgun Roster Board approved this Ruger model to be legally sold in Maryland, a process that took about six weeks. (No handgun manufactured after 1984 may be sold in Maryland unless the model and caliber have been added to the approved list by this Board, a state agency.) I bothers me that I could go to all that trouble to buy this gun (which now will also allow Ruger to sell it to others in Maryland), but Ruger couldn't take the trouble to check the number on the cylinder, as their manual warns every end user to do, before they shipped the gun to Bud's.

I am curious as to whether anybody else has encountered this problem with a NEW, interchangeable-cylinder Ruger. I'd welcome other comments as well.

Douglas Johnson

J Miller

Blackhawk
You don't need to send the gun to Ruger to see if it's properly fitted.
A gunsmith can do it easily and so can you if you know what you are doing.

I under the frustration but before I'd ship it off I'd have it checked locally. Then if it's OK I'd shoot the thing and never look back.

JMHO

Joe

J Miller said:
You don't need to send the gun to Ruger to see if it's properly fitted.
A gunsmith can do it easily and so can you if you know what you are doing.

I under the frustration but before I'd ship it off I'd have it checked locally. Then if it's OK I'd shoot the thing and never look back.

JMHO

Joe

Even if I satisfy myself that the cylinder is properly fitted -- and it probably is -- it seems to me that the failure of the numbers of match diminishes the future re-sale value of the gun. Again, the manual warns in stark terms against discharging the gun unless the numbers match.

Gunsmiths around here charge $65-$85 or more just to pick up a gun (an hour or any part thereof). I think this is 100% a Ruger screw up and it should be 100% their responsibility to make it right.

hittman

Staff member
douglas.d.johnson said:
-- it seems to me that the failure of the numbers of match diminishes the future re-sale value of the gun.

I respectfully disagree.

1. If you're going to shoot this gun, there will be minimal collector value anyway.

2. If you're not going to shoot it and get a letter, email or other documentation from Ruger that it was shipped this way ~ the collector value as an "oddity" may increase a great deal.

I've got more than one Old Model Single Six that came to me used with only one cylinder. In each case I've bought (here) a cylinder the same or very near total AOL and the fit and function was perfect.

MCPO

Bearcat
Oct 1st - My brand new Single Six (ordered by my local shop and I was present when it arrived) had both the LR and the Mag cylinders exactly 8 digits off from the guns serial.

Ruger CS first told me I had to pay shipping back, but after I asked to speak to a Supervisor, he relented and initiated a UPS call tag.

UPS picked it up from home on a monday and exactly 7 days later it arrived back home with 2 new cylinders - stamped digits vs 'engraved'.

Ruger will take care of the problem, but its annoying it has to happen on new guns. I do feel your pain.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I had the same thing happen to me. Bought a brand new New Model in July 1973, 1st year of production. Got home and checked the numbers like the manual says. The gun serial # is 62-29675. the 22 LR cyl matches with a 2 space 675. The mag cyl is 2 space 260. But it fits and functions perfectly. The store had no other guns with a serial # matching my Mag cyl. I figured it was a factory screw up and never looked back.

Sold the gun 10 years later and bought it back for $90 10 years ago still looking like new. Put in a Bisley hammer and trigger with standard grip frame and free spin pawl last year. It's my favorite Ruger 22 New Model.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If it fits and functions correctly in the gun don't worry about it, or change the digit on the cylinder yourself. Just stamp a '1' over it.

...just my opinion, Jimbo

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Jimbo, good idea. But I would engrave it. A stamped number and even if stamped by Ruger might raise more questions upon resale than an engraved number. I don't know which number digit has to be changed but the engraved numbers are so sloppy anyway.

smlake

Bearcat
Douglas, I just read, with great interest, your well explained post about the mismatched serial numbers. Your experience mirrors my recent experience of purchasing a new in box Ruger single six 22 pistol with the accompanying 22 magnum cylinder. The long rifle serial number was a match but the 22 magnum cylinder serial number was a mismatch. I posted my situation on Rugerforum also but on the "Ruger Rimfires, Long and short"section. You can see my post and the great replies on page 2 and my post was titled "matching serial numbers" with the latest post being November 17. When I called Ruger I was told not to fire the gun under any circumstances and to contact the dealer for a replacement. Ruger also told me that if the dealer would not swap the gun, to call them, Ruger, back to make arrangements to have it shipped back to Ruger. My dealer, Trader Jerrys, from Salem,VA told me not to fire the gun. I swapped the gun with them this past Tuesday, November 30. Jerry was great and also told me the gun could have other issues not revealed at the present. He was correct. His store salesman was handling the gun and it locked up. The hammer could not be cocked nor could the trigger be pulled. That had happened to me also once when I was inspecting the gun the first time when I had gotten home after the purchase at the Richmond gun show. I have dealt with Bud's also and they are great. They will want you to be satisfied as will Ruger. Thank goodness you are dealing high quality firms. I would get this issue resolved by having this gun returned to either Bud's or Ruger. You did not buy the gun for the purpose of having this problem. I would not want this gun "rubed up" by changing the serial number or tinkering with it to perhaps make it work. That would likely void your warrenty with Ruger. You have paid too much in money, inconvenience and hassle to not be completely satisfied. I am just glad I do not have to live in a state with politicians like those in Maryland.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Get this. I went to buy a SP 101 at Sportsmans Warehouse and the serial number on the box did not match the serial number on the gun. It was a Saturday and they told me they could not sell it until they contacted Ruger on Monday. I told them that I was impulse buying and would come to my senses by Monday but they still refused to sell it. I was able to restrain myself for several weeks and finally saw a used one for a good price and bought it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
twobisquit said:
Get this. I went to buy a SP 101 at Sportsmans Warehouse and the serial number on the box did not match the serial number on the gun. It was a Saturday and they told me they could not sell it until they contacted Ruger on Monday. I told them that I was impulse buying and would come to my senses by Monday but they still refused to sell it. I was able to restrain myself for several weeks and finally saw a used one for a good price and bought it.

Did you happen to ask them if they had any more in the backroom? The box could have been accidently swapped at your dealer or at the wholesale distributor.
There's no law requiring that the box # match the gun #.

smlake said:
Douglas, I just read, with great interest, your well explained post about the mismatched serial numbers. Your experience mirrors my recent experience of purchasing a new in box Ruger single six 22 pistol with the accompanying 22 magnum cylinder. The long rifle serial number was a match but the 22 magnum cylinder serial number was a mismatch. . . . I would get this issue resolved by having this gun returned to either Bud's or Ruger.

I did contact Ruger and, at their urging, shipped the gun back to them, along with both cylinders. Yesterday they told me that it has been fixed and is on the way back to me. I'll post a report after I have the gun back.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
twobisquit said:

Did you happen to ask them if they had any more in the backroom? The box could have been accidently swapped at your dealer or at the wholesale distributor.
There's no law requiring that the box # match the gun #.

It was the only one in stock and the manager was quite adamant about contacting Ruger about it. I guess it was more of a store policy.

slav1north

Bearcat
I just picked up a new single six and noticed a problem with mine also. Not with my stamped serial numbers but my front sight. The sight is at 1:00 instead of 12:00. I feel your pain of having to return a new gun , and didnt have to jump thru hoops like you. Stories like these seem to be way to common. Whats up !!

armabill

Bearcat
I had to return a New Model Super Blackhawk Hunter. The barrel cutouts for the scope rings were wrong. You couldn't get them on unless it was forced.

After a new barrel, it's OK now.

All right, here is my report. I called Ruger on November 26 and explained the problem. They arranged for a UPS pickup. Today, the gun was delivered back to me. Inside the package there was a packing slip with notations that the .22 Long Rifle cylinder had been "replaced" (and it was -- the new, correctly numbered cylinder was installed in the revolver), that the cylinder latch had been "replaced" (I do not know why), that the pawl had been "repaired" (I do not know what that means, exactly), and that the gun had passed a "safety function check and test firing." It was evident that the new cylinder had been fired.

They sent the gun back wearing a new set of white ("ivory") Ruger plastic grips "for your trouble," which look kind of nice on this stainless steel gun. (Of course they returned the original grips as well.) Everything looks right and seems to function, but I have not yet had a chance to shoot the .22 LR cylinder.

Total time from my call to Ruger to receiving the gun back: 14 days, which I think is hard to beat.

At the time I shipped the gun to Ruger, I also sent a letter to the Ruger CEO, detailing my experience and suggesting that Ruger "adopt a stricter system of checking these numbers before the revolvers are shipped." No reply yet to the letter.

Douglas Johnson

wproct

Single-Sixer
You made the right choice by returning the revolver to Ruger to correct the situation. I'm happy to see that they did so promptly. I'll bet those ivory grips do look nice on your single six.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
douglas.d.johnson said:
.....that the cylinder latch had been "replaced" (I do not know why), that the pawl had been "repaired" (I do not know what that means, exactly)......
Douglas Johnson

The cylinder latch (locks the cylinder) and pawl (the 'hand' that turns the cylinder) have to do with proper cylinder 'timimg' (aligning and locking the cylinder in place at the exact time the hammer clicks into fully cocked position).
The latch was too short therefore was replaced. The pawl was too long therefore needed 'fitting' i.e. repairing.

That was oustanding service!