New Ruger ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimbo1096

Buckeye
I just came back from my local Academy Sporting Goods. Looking through the Firearms area I came across a box in the ammo Section with ruger's name on it. Maybe I'm behind the times but I did not realize Ruger had a branded ammo available. This was in 9mm and a 20 round self-defense marketed box and it is on the Ruger website but it's got one really strange-looking bullet in it. With a spiral design it's supposed to be high speed low recoil and the bullet spins. Don't know anything about this technology but I went ahead and bought a box to try it out. Anyone else seen this ammunition or tried it yet?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/micros/ammo/index.html

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Polycase Ammo is what it is. They make some interesting ammo. They plan on introducing a plastic case in the future and other weird stuff.

http://www.polycaseammo.com/

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
jimbo1096 said:
With a spiral design it's supposed to be high speed low recoil and the bullet spins.

Hi,

I should hope the bullet spins! Even with a plain ol' low tech cast lead round nose bullet... ;)

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
jimbo1096 said:
With a spiral design it's supposed to be high speed low recoil and the bullet spins.

Hi,

I should hope the bullet spins! Even with a plain ol' low tech cast lead round nose bullet... ;)

Rick C
Yeah, but when the bullet hits a soft target it spins the opposite way, I think, causing more damage.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Yeah, but when the bullet hits a soft target it spins the opposite way, I think, causing more damage.

Hi,

Good story, Jimbo, 'cept it doesn't quite pass the sniff test, unless we've got our noses in the air ferreting out advertising BS:

Let's get out our $3 Cheap Chinese Calculators from Wally's and play a bit. We'll use a 1200 fps bullet buzzing thru a barrel with a 1 in 18.75 twist (I think this should cover a number of Ruger .357s, maybe others, too?) 1200 ft/sec x 12 in/ft x 60 sec/min / 18.75 in/rev = 46080 rpm (someone, please check my arithmetic here.) So the advertising dept is telling us the bullet changes from 46000 rpm clockwise to ANY rpm counterclockwise when it hits a soft target? Nothing's impossible, but I'd like to satisfy that MO blood I got from my grandfather: "Show me!" ;)

Rick C

jimbo1096

Buckeye
I believe the advertising says that because the bullet is lightweight ( i boughtf 9mm and the box I have I says 65gr bullet at 1620 ft per second) and that when the channeled nose of the bullet hits soft tissue it creates a large wound channel due to the velocity and tissue displacement. It's obvious that I did not mean that the bullet itself imparts a spin as that's what the grooves and lands in the barrel do to stabilize the bullet in flight.
I have never seen branded ammo in the store until today. They say they also have it for 380, 38 Special, and 45 ACP. They also show on the website a frangible bullet under the parent manufacturers Inceptor label that looks very interesting for practice if the cost is not too high. I have not seen it in any store.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was at SHOT & I also own several boxes of this stuff. I've not seen any info on this ammo that says the bullet itself "the bullet hits a soft target it spins the opposite way," at all. Now,, I may have overlooked that tidbit,,,, but physics should prevent the actual bullet from reversing it's spin.

5of7

Hunter
I carry Ruger/Polycase ammo in the LCP .380 all the time.

Try this: Take two 1 gallon milk jugs full of water to the range and shoot through one with the new ammo and the other with your regular ammo.

I can't speak to the difference in the 9MM, but in the .380, the difference is quite impressive. 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
Jimbo357mag said:
Good story, Jimbo, 'cept it doesn't quite pass the sniff test, unless we've got our noses in the air ferreting out advertising BS:

My memory isn't perfect and why I said 'I think'. This is what they actually say about the bullets with flutes.

quote> Historically, projectiles relied on frontal expansion to transfer energy to a target. PolyCase is taking a different approach to transfer energy from projectile to target. We’ve developed numerous patent-pending frontal profiles designed to not expand or fragment in the transfer of energy, thereby complying with the Hague Convention of 1899. The ARX® projectile or ARX® projectile with UM1™ primer spacers uses much higher velocities, rotation and the constricting characteristics of flutes incorporated into the design to increase the density of fluid passing through the ARX® flutes thereby efficiently transferring kinetic energy from projectile to soft tissue. With our manufacturing processes, asymmetrical shapes are easily produced at a fraction of the cost of machining. <end quote

Seems to me that a soft target adds resistance to the rotation of the bullet in the opposite direction unless you're shooting a Colt. Hows that?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Any energy that is siphoned off due to expansion, fragmentation, or inducing some other projectile behavior will reduce the energy available for penetration. Give that some thought. :)

jimbo1096

Buckeye
All I need SD ammo to penetraate is about 12 inches, all the rest of the energy can be spent in tissue destruction. Self defense is much different than hunting ammo for large game.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Maybe projectile stops and the victim spins? Bullet looks like a drill bit. Leave a nasty wound channel

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
jimbo1096 said:
All I need SD ammo to penetraate is about 12 inches, all the rest of the energy can be spent in tissue destruction. Self defense is much different than hunting ammo for large game.

Do you think that people are differently constructed than game just because we walk around on our hind legs? :roll:

Pal Val

Buckeye
I don't have a lot of trust in the explanations on how this Ruger bullet works, but, I won't be the one standing downrange to put it to the test.

jimbo1096

Buckeye
GunnyGene said:
jimbo1096 said:

Do you think that people are differently constructed than game just because we walk around on our hind legs? :roll:

There are two distinct trains of thought on what hunting and self-defense ammo should do. Most people who are hunting game want a bullet to pass into the animal with enough force that it will hit a bone and pass through vital organs presenting the best chance of downing the animal within a short period of time after they have made the hit. So penetration is what they want. In self-defense ammo I want to impart as much tissue damage and blunt trauma into the person that I have been aiming for to put them down on the spot. I don't want the bullet to pass through the next wall or into the next room thereby possibly injuring an innocent person. I want a bullet in self-defense to work like a sledgehammer. Simple effective and immediate.
Let's quit making stupid statements and discuss the real life actual experience members may be had with this ammo. Maybe we can share information instead of denigrating each other.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Computer-designed, "works well on paper". Does not have a MIL-STD yet that I can find.

I'm sure it is valid but have only fired 17 rds of the stuff for accuracy. No better, no worse than my XTP stuff.
Haven't shot any bad guys yet, so I cannot say how it performs on flesh & bone after a layer of leather, canvas, nylon or cotton, etc. Does a job on a gallon milk jug full of water. Tried smashing a bullet with a hammer, it is tough stuff and is NOT "frangible" as the layman understands that term.

I'm sure a face shot under ten yards would be very effective. My attorney is still out on recommended use in public, he says "use what the kevlar guys use". :idea: