New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

old 41

Bearcat
These walnut grips are off of a new model 41 mag, a walnut pair off a NM Single-Six fit the same.
It is good to hear plastic grips will fit the Wrangler.
That is a shadow next to cylinder the frame the grips fit very good there, just the bottom is short.
fDWjiKY.jpg

old 41

Bearcat
57springer said:
old 41 said:
Looking at the Wrangler parts list there is a "pawl guide" # 43, I don't see this part on a Single-Six parts list.
Am I missing it or is this a new part that plays into the free spin and maybe the gate opening so hard?
I looked at the "gate detent spring " on both models, the single six and wrangler. The look very similar. The gate on the wrangler may never really get "easy " even with some break in. Not being negative , I like this revolver , But a younger shooter or someone with weak hands etc. will have problems I feel. My advice to anyone wanting to buy , handle one first .

The wife could not open the Wrangler gate when new. A little frog lube at the bottom of the gate then opened and closed a couple of hundred times and now she can. It still isn't the easiest.

57springer

Buckeye
old 41 said:
57springer said:
old 41 said:
Looking at the Wrangler parts list there is a "pawl guide" # 43, I don't see this part on a Single-Six parts list.
Am I missing it or is this a new part that plays into the free spin and maybe the gate opening so hard?
I looked at the "gate detent spring " on both models, the single six and wrangler. The look very similar. The gate on the wrangler may never really get "easy " even with some break in. Not being negative , I like this revolver , But a younger shooter or someone with weak hands etc. will have problems I feel. My advice to anyone wanting to buy , handle one first .

The wife could not open the Wrangler gate when new. A little frog lube at the bottom of the gate then opened and closed a couple of hundred times and now she can. It still isn't the easiest.
Thanks 41 , I am going to give it a try. :wink:

louiethelump

Buckeye
"Anybody tried to mount a Single Six grip frame to a Wrangler yet?"

I found a used one and bought it with that intention. It has not arrived yet, but I will post as soon as it gets here and I try it out.

Hey, I wonder if one could take a pair of Super Blackhawk grip panels and fit them to a Wrangler? They're considerably "longer" than the usual XR3-RED versions. I mean, if a guy had a pair of "beater" SBH panels he didn't mind chopping . . .

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
I got to handle the first wrangler I saw in Georgia. I like the fit and finish. And love the new screws they are using to assemble the frame to the grip frame.

The only thing I did notice ( I realize it was a nib) the cocking seemed very rough and gritty. Anyone else notice this?

Man, I like that idea. There are entirely too many Old Models out there with buggered-up screws and the surrounding holes that are the result of folks trying to remove the old slotted screws with ill-fitting screwdrivers. Yes, it would require that we all obtain the proper Torx drivers, but I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Wonder if those are going to show up on all the single-actions?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I hate the way a torx screw looks on a revolver but you can't argue how much easier they are to remove without boogering up the heads.

Well, at least these are essentially hidden by being sunk down in those deep holes in the grip frame . . . except for that one at the front.

57springer, is that front one a flathead with the Torx socket?

louiethelump

Buckeye
Well, my used Single Six frame came in today and it has been installed. THEY ARE NOT IDENTICAL! The tabs in the photo sit higher on the Single Six frame and I lowered them to get the frame to fit. Just a little but it had to be done.
WWKBe62.jpg

Even with this upward adjustment the tabs at the top of the grip frame are shorter on the Single Six frame and while they serve the purpose of holding the pawl spring and plunger in place they do not quite cover the hole. The attaching holes do line up and the Torx head screws work just fine (NO, not a slotted head torx screw as someone asked) If you think about it, the Torx screw will stay on a power driver much better than a slot head that will not stay on a power driver at all. Time of of the essence in assembly to save costs.

Only fools like me go to the trouble to do all of this but it did shave 4.2 ounces off the total weight of the gun by going to the aluminum frame.
YsbX35Y.jpg

I think I am going to leave this on here until I get a black one and then put it on the black one. Was going to polish the black off the used frame to make it silver. Fit is not close enough to go to the trouble. A glass bead blaster would do the job in no time and leave a nice soft finish that would just about match the silver finish. (In my opinion)
woOJ6on.jpg

tabs are not straight across the back either. may be in the old frame or maybe a bit more fitting needed.

the die cast grip frame eliminates two parts by casting them into the grip frame. The pin that the trigger spring tabs hook over are cast in and so are the pins to line up the grips. Two less parts to make and install.

The hammer spring is on an identical guide to a Single six, but the main spring is MUCH heavier than a Single Six spring. The trigger return spring is different as well with an additional bend in the open legs that hook over the pin in the grip frame.
O51hgKI.jpg

butcherboy1985

Single-Sixer
Great Louie....I was planning to do the same as you have. Add a aluminum frame.
I thought the wrangler was heavy myself.

Re: mainspring: are you going to replace or cut a few coils?

And have you checked to see if a 22wmr cylinder will fit?

Latest posts