New Ruger 1911 owner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lafermedavid

Bearcat
yea pretty ignorant to the 1911,been reserching the asym ammo at 230 looks to be a good way to start,a little small rust on the hidden hammer part ,scothbrite lightly,I can see I will really have to babysit this cmd,but I like it

texn1911

Bearcat
That's the thing with all 1911s they require babysitting. A lot of people don't understand these weapons need more, and more complete care than other semi- autos. That's why some people say 1911s aren't reliable, they are when cared for as they need. Things you can get away with on say a plastic gun you can not on a 1911. If not cared for cleaned properly and maintained a 1911 will not run well for long.

revhigh

Hawkeye
texn1911 said:
That's the thing with all 1911s they require babysitting. A lot of people don't understand these weapons need more, and more complete care than other semi- autos. That's why some people say 1911s aren't reliable, they are when cared for as they need. Things you can get away with on say a plastic gun you can not on a 1911. If not cared for cleaned properly and maintained a 1911 will not run well for long.

I totally disagree .... ive shot thousands of rounds in multiple 1911's without doing anything other than putting a few drops of oil on the rails every so often.

Thats the beauty of 1911's .... the ability to endure lack of maintenance, horrible conditions, and ham fisted soldiers lack of care and still function perfectly.

Most unreliable 1911's got that way because they had some idiot who thinks he's a kitchen table gunsmith .... sat down with a brownells 1911 catalog and a credit card, and bought himself a fistfull of 'drop in' parts ..... trying to make it better .... or customized .... And now it doesnt work anymore, so the idiot thinks the platform is unreliable.

The 1911 can endure almost anything and still function ,,, if only people would learn to just leave them alone ....

REV

texn1911

Bearcat
I couldn't agree more about don't fix what ain't broke. I haven't and do not plan on "improving" mine. Nor do I plan on having a gunsmith do it as most are not qualified (I think that is somewhat telling in and of itself) I also feel as do others, read my opinion, That the newer tighter tolerance 1911 need not more but more often lubrication than other semi's and older rattle trap 1911. There are items on 1911 that others don't have to worry about like keeping an eye on your barrel bushing, plunger tube, slide stop projecting into the mag well possibly causing the slide to lock open before the pistol is empty etc. Would you agree? Don't get me wrong I love and carry mine. I just think it needs a little more tlc than some. My .02 no more no less. :)