New Python Accuracy Test

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
I have never owned a Python. Too much money as is the new Python in my opinion. I have owned a Colt King Cobra 4" and found it to be fairly accurate, but nowhere near my 686 Smith 4". As a result, the King Cobra is gone.
My accuracy checks are at practical use range, generally under 50'. If I am sighting in for hunting it will be at 50 yards off a rest. The 686 is all I need in a 4" DA revolver chambered in 357.
That being said I would love to shoot the new Python just for the experience...... I did see the American Rifleman review on TV. Looked like a cool revolver!
I have a 4" King Cobra (old type). It and the Smith 686 are so similar that if you have them both, one is redundant. Mine shoots about like my 4" Smith 19 and 28. (These are three different size guns.) I used it to shoot Mas Ayoob's LFI class back in the '80s and it ran fine.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Since we're discussing Pythons I'll share my story of my first one. 15 years ago I worked full time teaching and part time in a outdoor sports shop. The gun dept.manager, Tim, had a nice mid-60's four inch blued Python that he wanted to sell to raise money for a 1,000 yard rifle. He was asking a reasonable $450 for it. New Custom Shop Pythons were around $1000 to $1100 then. A regular customer, Jeb, was very tight with money and always tried to hammer down prices. He came in Saturday after Saturday and offered $400 for it. Tim got so tired of this that on one Saturday when I came in Tim approached me and said, "I need money to finish my rifle give me all that you've got on you." I said, "Sure just let me keep $5 to eat on and you can pay me back later.", and handed him $165. Tim said, "No, this isn't a loan, you just bought yourself a Python., but there's one condition. When Jeb comes in today like he always does you have to tell him you're the new owner and what you paid for it." Sure enough Jeb came in and asked to see the Python. When I told him that it wasn't for sale anymore he asked why. When I told him I'd bought it for $165 he sputtered, turned red and stormed off. The next week he was back and I was selling my 5" S&W #27 since the Python shot so well (1" groups at 20 yds from a rest). He bought it for my asking price without any argument. I like the old Pythons but I don't own any these days. Parts are impossible to find and steady use with medium to heavy loads gets them out of time. I may try one of the new ones but the waiting list around here is as long as your arm.

Best Regards,
ADP3

larryofcc

Bearcat
Here are mine. Top, 1966 vintage $125. Bottom 1967 vintage $800. Would not part with these for any $$$. Yes, they are both very accurate with 357 loads. Big Larry

standard.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
larryofcc said:
Here are mine. Top, 1966 vintage $125. Bottom 1967 vintage $800. Would not part with these for any $$$. Yes, they are both very accurate with 357 loads. Big Larry

standard.jpg
Very pretty! :wink:

I have a 6" and a 4", both of '70s vintage, and I paid for each of them about what, if not less than, original Python GRIPS are going for now on eBay. :shock:

bogus bill

Hunter
My best python story that will make you all hate me. January of 1971 or 72 I bought a new in the box 2 1/2" nickle Python from Jack First the gun parts guy now in Rapid City. He used to be in Lancaster Ca. He`s deceased but I think his daughter runs the business. Jack would have a five day sale the first of January every year. First day 10% off, progressive 10% each day until what was left the 5th day everything on the tables was 50% off. The 3rd day it started to be a real circus. I noticed the fourth day the python was still there. I decided to be there early the next morning when he opened the chute. That night the worst snow storm I ever seen in Lancaster hit. A good three feet! I couldn't get my truck out of the driveway. Finally I got my old harley stoked up and somehow got it on the street. Only one lane was plowed from Palmdale to Lancaster and nothing but me was moving. Got there and nailed the python for right at $165! I then had Alphonso of Hollywood make me a fancy rig for $65. I really was surprised the first time I tried her out. I was shooting rested over the hood of my truck at a wheel cover I estimate was about a 100 yards, give or take, against a embankment and repeatedly hit it. I doubt I still haven't shot it over two or three boxes since. I had/have plenty other guns plus have another blue 4" python so sort of made a safe queen of it. I wouldn't have guessed a snub could be that accurate. Thats fifty years ago and now I am 79 and have the shakes. https://i.postimg.cc/63g0J2zp/Colt-Python-E-35843.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/KjM1Xhyb/Oct-2012-016.jpg

bogus bill

Hunter
My other python. It`s about a early 1980`s I bought used/new around 1996 for I think about $600`s.
Not to worry, I have the original grips stashed.
https://i.postimg.cc/65RpN2pV/Colt-Python-V73090.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
bogus bill said:
My best python story that will make you all hate me. January of 1971 or 72 I bought a new in the box 2 1/2" nickle Python from Jack First the gun parts guy now in Rapid City. He used to be in Lancaster Ca. He`s deceased but I think his daughter runs the business. Jack would have a five day sale the first of January every year. First day 10% off, progressive 10% each day until what was left the 5th day everything on the tables was 50% off. The 3rd day it started to be a real circus. I noticed the fourth day the python was still there. I decided to be there early the next morning when he opened the chute. That night the worst snow storm I ever seen in Lancaster hit. A good three feet! I couldn't get my truck out of the driveway. Finally I got my old harley stoked up and somehow got it on the street. Only one lane was plowed from Palmdale to Lancaster and nothing but me was moving. Got there and nailed the python for right at $165! I then had Alphonso of Hollywood make me a fancy rig for $65. I really was surprised the first time I tried her out. I was shooting rested over the hood of my truck at a wheel cover I estimate was about a 100 yards, give or take, against a embankment and repeatedly hit it. I doubt I still haven't shot it over two or three boxes since. I had/have plenty other guns plus have another blue 4" python so sort of made a safe queen of it. I wouldn't have guessed a snub could be that accurate. Thats fifty years ago and now I am 79 and have the shakes. https://i.postimg.cc/63g0J2zp/Colt-Python-E-35843.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/KjM1Xhyb/Oct-2012-016.jpg
I could swear I've heard that story somewhere before. :?

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=283968&p=2844747&hilit=Python#p2844747

:wink: :lol:

larryofcc

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
larryofcc said:

standard.jpg
Very pretty! :wink:

I have a 6" and a 4", both of '70s vintage, and I paid for each of them about what, if not less than, original Python GRIPS are going for now on eBay. :shock:
The top Python was a 4" and I sent it back to the factory many years ago for a 6" bbl.. I also had them install Elliason sights on it. It was a Police Officers gun in San Diego area. Now, I wish I had left it alone. I want a 4" now, but at todays prices? Heck no. Big Larry

bogus bill

Hunter
How you doing neighbor? I use to be feralmerril on the smith site until they got sick of me.