New project- “Super” Vaquero- adding pics with new grip panels.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The title sort of gave it away. I decided to build a Super Vaquero. My hands are just way too big for the smaller grip frame on a .45. My New Vaquero is polished stainless and I didn't want to lose the "bling". So when Midway had free shipping I ordered a Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame in stainless. I spent yesterday afternoon fitting it. Those factory Ruger parts frames are ROUGH! Lots of sanding both power and by hand rendered a good fit. I also took the bottom front corner back a bit- sort of a nod to a Bisley front strap. I spent this morning polishing with my benchtop unit and a Dremel. It came out great! I put a Super hammer in and installed a set of Super grips I had. In case anyone else tries this- the hammer back on the New Vaquero is fatter than a Super hammer, And it will bind up when the Super frame is installed. Also, the Ruger parts frame is larger than the factory grips. Bonus in my opinion. Lastly- the Super frame does not have the little slot that locates the NV retractable pawl. I got lucky and got it ground out- if that had failed a Power Custom pawl would work- probably better.

I've attached a couple pictures. I still need to polish out the hammer, and send the grip frame to Chig's where I have a beautiful set of panels waiting.
IMG_7601.jpeg
IMG_7602.jpeg

The last pic shows how I brought the bottom corner of the front strap in a bit. Feels much better to me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Great job and a very nice looking gun.

As a collector, and someone who gets questions all the time about various models of Rugers,, I had to pause a bit at your title. To use the term; "Super Vaquero" is fine for you & all,,, but it might confuse folks who are new to Ruger SA handguns!
Ruger does a good job of confusing folks with their nomenclature,, so I try to help folks understand the true differences, done by the factory.

Your "Custom Vaquero" is a sweet looking (and I'm sure great handling) gun .

Great job and a very nice looking gun.
I knew I'd get tagged on that! 😆 I actually started the thread with a different title- "Vaquero with Super Blackhawk Hunter Gripframe" but it looked awkward in print so I went with my catchy nomenclature. Actually, my current title is also wrong technically because it it a New Vaquero. Oops!

I'll be more thoughtful in the future. No hard feelings- I appreciate your diligence in keeping things correct.

Your comment did make me ponder- if Ruger built this version, what would they call it?

Good work. They're not ours until we make them just the way we like them.

The larger diameter hammer base of the NV requires the 'horns' of the grip frame to be worked down for a proper flush fit.
Thank you! I've always had the "custom" bug since I was a little kid. Couldn't build a model car without a few personal touches. I guess it's in the blood. I'm having a hard time not tricking out the 3 Screw Single Sixes I've purchased recently, but there's something about the age and originality I respect. I may buy one to "make it mine".

I had to work both the grip frame horns and the main frame horns. So now there's no real going back with the original grip frame.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Looks great! Much better than the franenruger I did a few years back. I got the Vaquero off a guy who carried it in Alaska. It showed a lot of wear from that. I got a cast but not drilled brass grip frame and made it fit. Not the prettiest job but it works. For fun used a Bisley trigger with a Super hammer.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpeg
    IMG_1005.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 102

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I had thought of something similar. My first gun was a Superblackhawk. I only shoot 45 colt now and wanted a Super in 45. Best way it figured was buy a 7.5 Bisley in 45 (non fluted cylinder) and buy all the SBH parts and install it. The Bisley parts would go on an early 5.5 New Vaquaro with case color. Other than the Bisly scroll on the cylinder I would have one.

contender

Ruger Guru
Randy,, I'm sincerely glad you didn't take any offense at my post. It was never meant to be offensive,, and yet,, when typing words on a keyboard,, and trying to convey feelings & thoughts,,, well, it can be hard.

As I said,, it's a very nice job on a great gun.

Doing custom work,, even minor stuff is what makes things personal & special. A simple set of grips,, or a full blown custom build. Both are special.

Due to the fun we already have with Ruger nomenclature,, I have no idea what they might call a gun like yours,,,,,,,, except maybe; "Nice job!" :D

When I teach handgunning to people,, I always stress that the gun they choose for serious work or self defense,, should fit THEM! It can be as simple as a set of grips,, to a gun custom made to their specs. But it is THEIR gun and they can enjoy it.
And old Bill,, well, he'd be happy we all buy use & enjoy his guns. No matter if we modify them, or keep them stock,, as long as we buy them from him! :D

Yoter

Bearcat
Did the same thing with a Blackhawk in 45 LC plus added the super blackhawk hunter low spurred hammer. Very pleased with the results. Not surprised the factory grips were not perfect. Lately, the factory laminated grips fit all models poorly.

Fine Job!
I prefer the Dragoon grip frame and did my last .44 mag Vaquero many years ago. Got the grip frame, trigger and hammer on an auction site and then sold the original and ending up no cost just my labor. Grips are Jay Scott.
View attachment 23710
That is a beauty! I have some big old hands, and the Dragoon trigger guard likes to beat up my middle knuckle unless I use a "pinkie under" grip. But I love the look of the Dragoon!

Nice job guys and those do look "Super", yes all these years and us old timers thought we knew what they meant when they said "Super" whether, a Single SIx or a a Blackhawk, now the Wranglers and along come us that did ANY "custom" for a customer, and it can get baffling to any new comer,,,let THEM learn and ask the questions, I know what YOU meant....again NICE jobs guys, looking good...............bring on all that SUPER, DUPER, custom work..............what the old time "super" gunsmiths tried to do with whatever Ruger or others came out with..........:cool::rolleyes:;)