New Model Single Six - First Year Production !!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Buckeye
First of all, I never go on Gun Broker, but today I visited the site looking for another Single Six type gun. While skimming through all the Single Sixes & Blackhawk's etc., One gun with the advertising on it struck me.....It is the name of the topic. They advertised: Single Six New Model, First year of production 1973 !!!......Well one thing for sure is I have never seen any thread that specifically is calling out the First Year of Production 1973 for the New Model Single Six revolver. Has anybody else ?? For that matter, does the First Year New Model production of 1973 carry any significant value ?? For being what it is. A first year product gun, and the "New Model", no less.... What say you kind folks? Is the First New Model Year Single Six a valuable gun to look for ???

Star43

Buckeye
I do realize that 1973 was the First Year of Production for the New Model.....Just wanted to point that out, But does the 1973 Single Six have any extra value to it for being the First Year that the New Models were made ???

contender

Ruger Guru
The seller is just wanting to do all he can to try & sell his gun. No extra value to it,, as the only difference in things is the NM action. And there weren't any early variations that got changed to make any difference.
We often take specific models, and have assigned "Type's" to them because of manufacturing changes. The early Standard Auto's,, have several "Type's" for example.

The Early NM's didn't.

Star43

Buckeye
Yes, I agree 100% that the seller is trying to sell his gun, and trying to build value on it by calling it what it is......First year production of the New Model Single Six. It just hit me that no one talks much about that. It's usually all about the "old models" or as you say different "types".....But to me when I think about it, the whole concept of the New Model, almost doesn't get any respect, sort of like Rodney Dangerfield......Who knows, maybe as the years keep going, that respect will grow more and more. Sure people respect the Single Six !! It's the best Single Action 22 revolver made period !!! And this highly respected New Model gun was first made in 1973. Just saying.

Star43

Buckeye
So the early ones with "no warning" on the barrel are the ones with more perceived value then ? If a guy has a say 1975 SS with 22 mag cylinder in a box pretty much unfired with the manual, he has something desirable then, correct ??

Star43

Buckeye
Yeah I guess that makes good sense as it is specially marked gun....I guess it always boils down to the old Beauty is in eyes of the beholder thing....What one particular guy sees in that one particular gun......

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have always thought of the New Model Single Sixes built from 1973 to 1976 as transition models because they still use pre 1973 cylinders. I am sure there is some people that collect these. I have a 1974 model that has the old model cylinders. It is special to me as it belonged to my late father inlaw.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Star43

Buckeye
I have always thought of the New Model Single Sixes built from 1973 to 1976 as transition models because they still use pre 1973 cylinders. I am sure there is some people that collect these. I have a 1974 model that has the old model cylinders. It is special to me as it belonged to my late father inlaw.

CHEVYINLINE6.
That is very interesting. So these pre warning guns not only came without the barrel warning but also an older cylinder ? I agree that does sort of make them a transition gun, and strike the fancy in some guys. Let's face it, as they were different from the norm by far when they came out then. Perhaps some other guys may chime in and say something. We all loved the 3 Screw, no argument there, but I think these first "new" New model guns deserve some respect. 🙂👍

contender

Ruger Guru
As a collector, and someone who's been to many shows,, observed displays, and try to keep up with what's potentially collectable,, I can't say I've ever had anybody attempt to "collect" the early New Models. Yes,, there was a while the cylinders were from OM's. But that's just a potential "parts swap" and easily counterfeited. The warning billboard didn't come about until 1977,, but not enough of a variation to create a lot of collector interest. And as mentioned,, the 1976 "Bicentennial" guns only bring a small premium,, if ANIB.
I don't see any premium for the early NM's being actually paid by anybody anywhere. And even the Bicentennial ones only draw a little.

Just another angle on it if a collector was collecting a certain serial number he might pay a little more i have NM #62-00225 single six minty in the box but i also have #225 OM 357 blackhawk # 225 OM blackhawk 30 carbine and NM super Blackhawk #81-00225 But i didnt pay a premium for the New Models

Gramps

Star43

Buckeye
I think it's great you have those matching serial numbers. That's us a display collection right there to me anyway.....as far as the New Model with no premium at all, that is good for you, but again no respect for the New Model gun. I keep thinking about the advertising and photos in the old magazines I like to look at, and there it is, advertised by Ruger as the finest single action 22 revolver made !!! And no respect at all over 50 years later !!! Think about that.....You know, maybe that is how it is today, but in another 20 or 25 years, I feel that respect will be growing, and rightfully so, because they work and they work very well, and 1973 was when they started. 👍

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here is an example of the packaging from the earliest NM Single Sixes. Leftover OM box with white NM sticker.

NR5-62-00030-packaging.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, there are a few variations where they can bring a premium. But not a large number,, and the question was mainly about the fact they may be a first year of the New Model.
The "star" ones, the transition packaging ones, or specific serial numbered ones can command a little more. But the overall "lack of respect" will be the prevailing attitude.

Latest posts