New Mini 30 to feed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

minicooper

Bearcat
I just bought a new mini 30 5854 and I'm trying to select some ammo that i can rely on. I keep seeing reference to steel cased ammo vs the mini 30. I see that people are quoting ruger as stating that one should not use steel cased ammo. My rifle is new a 582 series and the instruction book is void of any cautions against using steel cased ammo. Does anyone know with certainty that Ruger has stated in writing such a caution for this newest series of rifle ? I certainly have nothing against brass its just that I would like to avoid being restricted to brass if its not necessary.

bai78

Bearcat
Lifetime warranty.....just shoot it up & if an extractor or firing pin breaks just send it back to them to repair/replace.

Passtime

Bearcat
My 582 Mini-30 manual mentions nothing about steel cased ammo directly. I will post the pertinent information from page (11) of my manual below for comparison. I left out the pretty pictures. I shoot steel cased through mine without issue. I have read where some have problems with it though and I also read not to shoot brass case immediately after steel cased unless the bore and chamber has been cleaned.

AMMUNITION
RUGER®MINI THIRTY RIFLESare chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm
cartridge, and can use either standard U.S. military or factory loaded sporting 7.62
x 39mm cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice. Do
not attempt to use any other cartridges in this rifle, even though "7.62mm" may
appear in their names (i.e., 7.62 x 51mm NATO [.308 Winchester]; 7.62 Tokarev;
7.62 x 54 Rimmed Russian, etc.). The only correct ammunition for the Ruger Mini
Thirty is the 7.62 x 39mm. The use of corrosively primed ammunition is not
recommended, See "Ammunition Notice" & "Warning - Ammunition,"

AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE
WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR
INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH, OR AS
THE RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER FIREARMS OF FAULTY, OR NON
STANDARD, OR "REMANUFACTURED" OR HAND LOADED (RELOADED)
AMMUNITION, OR OF CARTRIDGES OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH
THE FIREARM WAS ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
I shot 1000's of comblock ammo through my mini when I had it.....and it was one of the earlier series with never an issue.

DGW1949

Hunter
"can use either standard US military or factory loaded sporting 7.62X39 cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

AMMUNITION (CARTRIDGES) NOTICE
WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR
INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH, OR AS
THE RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER FIREARMS OF.......OR NON
STANDARD........
.......AMMUNITION......"

As I read it, the above perty-much means steel cased ammo and/or berdan primed ammo.
Me thinks that a call to Ruger will back that up.

But hey, it's your gun.....treat it as you see fit.

DGW

Passtime

Bearcat
I have read around the forums (of course everything you read on the net is true) that those who have contacted Ruger about the steel cased ammo issue that Ruger was somewhat aloof with the answer. If you do contact them chefrob1 please let us know the results. Still Ruger does not mention steel cased ammo specifically in their manual and I am sure there is a reason for that. Not that it means to use it or not but for some reason. I have also read of issues with using the steel cased ammo in the Mini-30 such as: firing pin damage, barrel wear and feeding issues. The 7.63x39 caliber and the cost of it is one reason I purchased the Mini-30 and after extensive research I found that there were many more posts that said it shot the steel cased ammo with out issue than having issue with it. Otherwise I would have purchased an SKS or AK which is designed specifically for the steel cased stuff. If I was purchasing a Mini-30 for the first time I would research these issues extensively before I made the purchase. I agree chefrob1 it is the shooters choice of whether or not to use it and I respect either decision.Too answer the OP's question I have had zero problems with it myself but that does not mean someone else will not. You can also download the manual at: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/miniThirty.pdf

gunman42782

Hunter
I no longer have it, but my Mini 30 was shot with nothing but steel case stuff. I would occasionally have a shell that would not go off on the first try, usually would fire second time around. Not real often, maybe one shell in 3 or 4 mags.