New Mini 14 Ranch Rifle -- comments and observations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I finally got my new Mini 14 Ranch Rifle (blued; wood stock) configured and to the range. Thought I would share my comments and observations.

First, I shot the rifle using the supplied sights. The groups were very very good at 25 meters (the furthest our local range could accommodate.) While it may be true that the AR-style rifles are more accurate, my groups with the Mini 14 were very comparable to my groups with the SR556. This no doubt indicates that both guns are more accurate than I am as a shooter. No surprise there. But I was getting 4 and 5 inch groups firing from the shoulder at 25 meters which is about as well as I can shoot. (I am still rusty with rifles after a long layoff.) Several bullseyes though.

Then I attached and zeroed a red dot sight (Ultradot Matchdot II). Here are a couple of pics:
DSC_0732.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

The rifle was very fun to shoot using the Ultradot Matchdot. I am partial to red dot sights. Have to say that I was pretty happy with my accuracy just using the iron sights though. I ran out of rounds and time before I really got a chance to compare groups as between the iron and red dot.

Observations.
1. At first the magazines were not seating easily. Then they were. Don't know if I got the hang of it or if the gun was maybe breaking in a little bit. By the end of the shoot I was inserting and firing magazines rapidly and easily. Not sure if the hassle at first was me or the rifle.

2. Had a failure to fire on the second magazine. Not sure what that was all about.

3. Fit and finish are good in a rugged, brawny sort of way. Nice looking rifle. The bluing is a sort of heavy "duty style" bluing.

4. The rifle breaks down and cleans up very easily. This is a very easy rifle to clean.

Another comment about the Mini 14 is that it is about 1 3/4 lbs. lighter than my SR556E and this is noticeable when firing the weapon from the shoulder.

Anyway, these are my comments on the Mini 14 thus far. Planning to hit the range again tomorrow to continue the break-in of the rifle.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Rocking in the magazines gets easier after time, lean the leading edge of the mag into the front end of the mag well. Larger capacity magazines are alot easier to rock in.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
dfletcher said:
Rocking in the magazines gets easier after time, lean the leading edge of the mag into the front end of the mag well. Larger capacity magazines are alot easier to rock in.

I don't know if it was the learning curve or whether the rifle broke in, but today I switched magazines about 15 times and never had a hiccup. The Mini 14 performed with perfect reliability. I think that my Mini is now my favorite rifle!

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
RedlegM109A1 said:
. . .
4. The rifle breaks down and cleans up very easily. This is a very easy rifle to clean.
. . .

I find the same with mine except I still haven't figured out the trick to quickly getting the bolt back into the receiver. I guess I just haven't learned the proper way to hold my tongue yet.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
dfletcher said:

i wish we could get hi-cap magazines, but sadly he lives in california and I in massachusetts where mag. limits are 10 rounds. I hope someday the feds will put a stop to to silly state laws and pass the 50 states reciprocity bill . Then we all can carry the same mags

AlanJ65

Single-Sixer
Tweety Bird said:
RedlegM109A1 said:
. . .
. . .

I find the same with mine except I still haven't figured out the trick to quickly getting the bolt back into the receiver. I guess I just haven't learned the proper way to hold my tongue yet.

I don't know if I just got lucky but the last couple of times mine went back in so easy I thought it wasn't in right. It almost seemed the less I tried to get it in the easier it went.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
Tweety Bird said:
RedlegM109A1 said:
. . .
. . .

I have actually gotten pretty good at it. The secret is to make sure that the silver firing pin attachment part (not sure proper nomenclature) is pulled back, and then align it with the notch in the receiver. Apply gentle elbow grease and it will snap right in. I admit that now and then I still have to fiddle with it.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I redid my Red Dot Sight mounting setup using the GG&G Mil-Std Picatinny rail adapter. I like this setup a lot better. This is the Aimpoint CompC3 sight. Also added the Tech Sight BUIS.
DSC_0744.jpg

Latest posts