New member, New pistol permit, New SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shott8283

Bearcat
well, I am new. lol

Got my PP the other day, same day I went out and bought a brand new SR9, olive frame, black slide.

Went shooting it the first time today. I did a barrel break in (same as I would for a new AR, fire 3 rounds, clean and re oil the chamber and barrel, did this cycle for 5 magazines)

I love this gun, its my first personally owned pistol (besides an issued barretta) and its awesome.

I have a few qualms about the weapon, the trigger (as many of you think the same way) is a little stiff, and not very smooth, hoping a lot of firing will help it wear it in. I might look into a trigger option

The other problem I am having, and one that I would like to fix soon is the mag release button is really really stiff. I push on it, and it seams as its catching on something, as well as the knurled button itself rotates as its pushed in, which I can see making it work any easier. The button will also stick in the "release" position, and sometimes doesnt like to snap back into position. I have tried working it back and forth a few hundred times and I can not tell any improvement at all.

I have checked the modification thread and didn't see anything in there for this problem.

Anyone else have this same problem? I havnt torn the gun down past the slide yet. I am not worried about breaking down the FCG.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

jhearne

Buckeye
Hi and welcome, the stiff and rough trigger is a common thing like you noted. If wearing the internals in doesn't seem to help smooth it out try the how-to in my signature. I'd recommend the Ghost, either the ultimate or Rocket options to lighten the trigger.

I'm afraid the stiff and somewhat sticky mag release is another not uncommon occurrance on standard SR9s. They refined the mag release in the SR9c....the parts won't swap though. You can break it apart to clean and buff the contact points, and a little dry lube won't hurt.

Atleast there is hope for the trigger....some SR9s need to revisit Ruger for the mag release if it doesn't get better over time.

Josh

shott8283

Bearcat
I plan on buffing the primary contact points on the stock trigger to see if that helps.

At the same time I will try and monkey with the mag release.

has anyones SR9's been sent back to ruger for the mag release problem?

ConradM

Blackhawk
Did you dry fire it before you bought it? I'm not understanding why people will buy a gun they're not completely satisfied with. :?

But yea, it should get better with time, polishing and maybe some Ghost love.

shott8283

Bearcat
i did dry fire it once, the gun shop owner frowns upon dry firing (old school fellow, really nice guy though)

everything on the gun was great for the price. thats why i went with it.

trigger felt ok at the store but more and more playing with it i could tell i wasnt crazy with it

didnt get a chance to put a mag in and release it, store policy as well.

live and learn. im sure there is a way to improve it.

ConradM

Blackhawk
shott8283":1z88uvqr said:
i did dry fire it once, the gun shop owner frowns upon dry firing (old school fellow, really nice guy though)

everything on the gun was great for the price. thats why i went with it.

trigger felt ok at the store but more and more playing with it i could tell i wasnt crazy with it

didnt get a chance to put a mag in and release it, store policy as well.

live and learn. im sure there is a way to improve it.

I would have went to a different store. No worries... It's a great gun once it breaks in. :D

Welcome to the forum, to CCW and to your new SR9. You're where I was about 18 months ago. My experience is the trigger and mag release will smooth out some. I'm very pleased with my SR9. Have done no modifications, other than a Veridian Green Laser sight. Great pistol for me.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Congrats. I have the exact same pistol. My trigger is smooth, but a little stiff. I like it that way, but now I think I want to lighten it up slightly. My mag release stuck a couple of times for just a second or until I popped the mag back in. Now, I works great. Last trip to the farm the wind blew some sand that got into the release mechanism and made it gritty. But, after a detail strip and clean (which it was time for, anyway) it works great again. I just "play" with it unloaded working everything and getting the wear patterns set. Mine's smooth as silk after doing that.

My problem was getting the rear sight adjusted to the right windage for my eyes at different ranges. Finally got it. I shot it +/- 100' across the pond at a torso sized stump and missed only the first shot (I wasn't stable).

So, shoot the hell out of it and enjoy your SR9. I do.

shott8283

Bearcat
thanks for the replys guys

how do you like that veridian laser? i can get it half off right now until june when the sale expires. was thinking of picking it up for kicks.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I keep threatening to do it. I just keep putting it off and buying other things. It ends soon, so that's my next gun related purchase.

bigfanofsr9

Bearcat
welcome to the forum! I also just purchased an SR9 a few weeks ago, and LOVE it. I've put 450 rounds through it, and have another 450 in the safe as soon as I find time to get back to the range.

My trigger and slide were really stiff untill two trips to the range. That did wonders for making it loosen up. Now, I'm working on using the slide stop as a slide release, and it's already a little better. Everything about this gun keeps getting better.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Howdy and welcome. My SR9's mag release felt a little stiff to me at the beginning, I cleaned the magazine well and put a little lubricant in there...but...

The best thing is to press it firmly but quickly.

It's a little like racking the slide when the gun is new. What you want to do is overcome the static friction by pressing quickly on the button. If you try to press on it too slowly, it's stiff esp. new.

What I have learned in the time I've had my SR9 is that the slide racking and magazine release work best if you put a little velocity into your motion, and then they get easier as the gun gets worn in.

They'll probably never be buttah-smooth, though: Ruger would own the 9mm pistol industry at this price if they were. ;)

how do you like that veridian laser?

The Veridian Green projects a bright, large green dot (steady or a variety of flashes). It's brilliant at night, very visible in all but brightest sunlight. I got it on the original promo, with Blackhawk holster. Too big & floppy for good carry. But a great home defense add-on. I just snap mine on at night, remove it to carry. Only thing you have to get used to is to abandon the open sights with the laser on, and just shoot the green dot.

It's a great product and well worth the price. Have had zero problems for over a year. Check out their website, pretty cool. http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=61