New M77/.357 - edit to say didn't see gramps post

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
BeagleDog said:
Jimbo. By no means was I nor am I knocking the gun but I just don't get why Ruger felt there was a market for this.
I believe the 77/44 has done real well especially since it's re-introduction as an all weather. This is a logical and welcomed extension of that gun. I would have preferred a Ruger lever 357 or semi-auto rifle like a 'Mini' but now with the magazine maybe some others will come along. Look at how popular the M1 carbine was. :D :D

...Jimbo

ECVMatt

Bearcat
There is also a big market from states that only allow pistol calibers fired from rifles during deer season. I think Indiana is one of these states and I think a few other states are soon to follow. I know there is a big resurgence of the .357 Maximum because is falls within the legal size requirements. Lots of other folks just use a standard .357 and are happy.

I think we tend to forget how big America is and generally think in terms of where and what we hunt. This would absolutely not work for the mountain areas where I normally hunt mule deer, but would be great for the costal range where the deer are smaller and shot can be really close. The same goes for the woods of north Texas where I pig hunt. It would be great for that area and easy to carry all day.

I think it will be a good seller, especially in areas that are heavily wooded and the shooting is close. It would also be good for folks that live in the city and don't have easy access to a rifle range as it could be shot indoors at a pistol range. It would allow them to get some practice with a rifle that is similar to what they hunt big game with. Maybe I am just being too optimistic.

off road

Single-Sixer
Should have a 16.5" barrel. Would have had a 77/44 long ago, if they weren't so overpriced.

mattsbox99

Hunter
ECVMatt, I think Indiana has a Max OAL of 1.4" and the 357 Max is 1.605.

I have a 99/44 (that I really don't shoot much) but is pretty accurate and I think its totally practical. Will I buy one of the 77/357s? I don't know, maybe. I've got a few other Rugers on the want list first.

vaturkey

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
vaturkey said:
Fantastic Elk round if your riding the Elk at the time. Can't imagine many of these will be sold. That said, 50 years from now it will be worth loads of money because no one will have bought it.
There are a lot more guns shot at shooting ranges than out in the wilds of Alaska. Look at the number of 'black' rifles sold or the number of .22s or the number of lever-action pistol caliber rifles. Are you saying rifles are bought for hunting only? Silly. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

I guess my humor/sarcasm was missed by some. :(

Just don't see a need in the least. However, this may turn into why folks now pay 30,000 dollars for a 410 Parker shotgun. Back in the early 1900's they cost the same as a 12 gauge. No body bought them hence they are rare as hen's teeth and priced accordingly.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
vaturkey said:
Just don't see a need in the least.
I think there are going to be lots of people that will see and feel the need for a bolt-action 357 magnum rifle. Especially at the range as I tried to explane. 8) 8)

"I don't see the need" for lots of things but I don't go around saying I don't see the need for 1911's or black rifles or slug guns. Others see the need and I let them have that. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
I can see both sides of the story with this gun. Here in Indiana i believe a hunter can use a rifle that is chambered for a revolver caliber so this makes some sort of sense but as for it being a MUST than no way.

Simms65

Bearcat
BeagleDog said:
Jimbo357mag said:
http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine77357/models.html

357Bolts.jpg

Fantastic!!! Many of us have been waiting for this announcement for a long time. Pistol caliber rifles are very popular and the 357 magnum is a perfect cartridge for a rifle. It will pick up a lot of velocity and be very useful for small to medium game at 50-150 yards. For all you poo-poo heads go take a break. This gun is also going to be a great target and plinking gun using easy to load and inexpensive ammo. Show me another rifle besides a lever-action or a .22 cal that you can take to the range and shoot 50 rounds for $10. I could go on but will let some others explain it to you. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Jimbo. By no means was I nor am I knocking the gun but I just don't get why Ruger felt there was a market for this. I am also one of the pistol cartridge nuts and I have both an old model .44 carbine/.44 SRH and a Marlin/SBH & GP100 combos. And I have a hoot shooting them - at the range! But my money is on the bet that if a person polled every gun owner in the US and said if you have a choice between a Marlin 1894 or a Ruger 77/.357, the Marlin will win hands down.

I bet there are quite a few out there like myself that already have a Marlin 1894 and will be very interested in purchasing one of these rifles. I'd have bought a single shot in .357 already but no one makes them with Iron sights anymore. I think Ruger did very well with this!

Once I end up with a 9mm suppressor it will also end up threaded. Whisper quiet 180gr .38's anyone? :D

schnellboot

Bearcat
Hi to the forum!

This rifle has a lot of sense for me, in other parts of the world there may be many good resons for somebody to have this rifle, I will list the ones that occur to me if you dare:

-44 magnum ammo is not easy to find in some countries, 38 specials and 357s are issued to police even in far away rural zones, so ammo is granted.

-44 magnum sports a high difference in cost compared to 357 in many countries, shells for reloading suffer that too. That makes this one an ideal boat rifle.

-This is a true all SS rifle, something some SS leveractions cannot say.

-The gun operator has to be a skilled dumb to jam this one, something Win 92s,94s and Marlins 1894 cannot be proud of. It is also a safer gun for the inexperienced user.

-Very easy to clean.

-Potentially more accurate due to less locktime and tolerance to COAL lenght.

-Easy to supress. Less report than the 44mag when unsupressed.

-Can compete very favorably even against 22wmr for pest or varmint, specially with reloads an light bullets.

-Maybe someone has already said this before, but it´s a Ruger.

Ruger people seem to be thinking outside of the box, something many sportsmen and hunters around the world will appreciate with this rifle.

I need one!

Regards:

Schnellboot.

batmann

Single-Sixer
I posted in the Revolver section my like of the rifle, especially the .44M camo version. In Indiana you can only use a centerfire rifle in a pistol caliber and the camo .44M looks like a pretty good Deer rifle and a great companion to my .44M pistolas.
IMHO, anything new by Smith or Ruger and stirs up interest in our sport is good. I give credit to Ruger for trying new things, the new Single 10 is a good example. I seem to remember something along the same lines when Ruger started with the Flattops in .44 Spl. It's not always a case of "I don't like it, why do they build _ _ _ _ _?", but these news firearms show that they, fill in the blanks, are willing to break the mold.

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
This thing has turtle, cactus, and skunk written all over it, but I still like Vaturkey's elk riding visual best!

Someday I'll share the story of jumping out of a pickup to bulldog a full gallop pronghorn. May have to wait till the statute of limitations has run out.

dipper

Bearcat
I like this rifle and would LOVE to see one in .357 Max.

The .357 Magnum can equal the 30-30 out to 100 yards or so.... Buffalo Bore has a good load for close range whitetail hunting.
A short light "do it all rifle" should sell well.

The quality of some lever guns has gone way down hill lately, maybe some that are tired of looking for a good lever gun will give this bolt action a try.

woods-walker

Single-Sixer
I can confirm that the .357 launched from a Rifle will equal .30 WCF performance within ranges of 100 yard's or less based on my experience with Marlin Lever Actions.

Many folks have never shot a 30-30 or a .357 at Game and have not witnessed the first hand field results of these cartridges. When used with common sense a .357 will cleanly take game. The results are the responsibility of the Rifleman to use the cartridge within it's limitations.

The 77/357 seems to be a practical working Rifle that will harvest game to feed your family while using easily available reloading components and ammunition. I would suggest as well that this offering from Ruger would be a formidable defensive tool for your Homestead.

Montelores

Buckeye
Can someone please give me a description of the sights on this rifle (in the case that they are the same as on another model 77)?

I am curious if they are proper adjustable sights, and not merely a poor set to bring down the cost, based on the assumption that most folks will mount a scope.

Thanks -

Monty

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Montelores said:
Can someone please give me a description of the sights on this rifle (in the case that they are the same as on another model 77)?

I am curious if they are proper adjustable sights, and not merely a poor set to bring down the cost, based on the assumption that most folks will mount a scope.

Thanks -

Monty

Front Sight: Gold Bead Rear Sight: Adjustable
http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine77357/features.html

http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine77357/specSheets/7405.html

...Jimbo

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks, Jimbo.

The rear appears to to be a nice sight, similar to a Marble's adjustable.

Monty

siamese4570

Bearcat
Boys. Let's don't overthink this. Looks like a fun gun and it's a ruger. did you notice the weight? 5.5 lbs I'll be getting one.

siamese4570

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
siamese4570 said:
Boys. Let's don't overthink this. Looks like a fun gun and it's a ruger. did you notice the weight? 5.5 lbs I'll be getting one.

siamese4570
Just the thing for camping. :D :D

...Jimbo

Latest posts