New LCR-22. Hints/Ideas/etc?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Emaho

Bearcat
Just got a new LCR-22. 100 rounds down range as a trial. Wonderful gun...so far. My previous Ruger experience has been with a Single-Six .22/WMR Covertible, GP100 .357 6", Blackhawk .357, Mk II Target and Police Service-Six .38. Never disappointed, and don't expect to be with this new one.

Any ideas on how to tweak or improve the LCR-22? Not that my inital impression suggests it needs anything!!! $420 + tax and trans here in TN. Dealer has (had) 5. I may get the rest for friends and family. This gun is sweet and blew the heart out of a sillouette at 7 yards right our of the box. Any feedback/opinions/arguments welcome! Thanks!

Bill in TN

spotch

Bearcat
Hard to tweak it because the front sights are all for the 357/38spl models (taller front sight) and i wouldn't mess with the trigger on a 22 revolver for fear of light strikes.

You could buy the rosewood grips being offered (eagle grips? Iirc?), those seek awful nice, or the ruger boot grip. Really though, I'm leaving mine stock and just shooting the crap out of it. Maybe spend your mod money on ammo and reactive targets :)

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have been shooting mine a lot.

Sights: I put the Hi Viz Green Fiber Optic front sight on mine. As was said it is a hair too tall. However for Combat Practice at close range I am putting the Green Highly Visible Dot on the Target and pulling the trigger. When you are just picking up the front sight you normally have the front sight a little high anyway, so it is not a huge problem. For longer deliberate shots just hold about 1/2 the Green Dot out of the rear sight trough. For me being able to pick up the front sight out weighs the need to hold a little high for deliberate shots.
http://hivizsights.com/

Reloading an LCR-22: The Tuff Products Model 1022 Quick Strip works fine. The Model 1022 is designed to hold 10 rounds of spare 22LR ammo in a stick. To convert it to an LCR-22 loading device just load the strip up in pairs like this: OOxOOxOOxO You need to leave a round out between pairs for cylinder clearance. Loaded in this manner you put 2 rounds in the revolver chambers at once just like with a 38, and rake them off. The Model 1022 will only hold 7 rounds loaded in pairs, but this is as good as a Quick Strip gets till the company feels the need to make a dedicated 8 shot Quick Strip for the LCR-22, S&W 43C and 317. Load 7, Index the Empty Chamber under the hammer when closing. Works fine. Also order direct from Tuff Products and get it in ORANGE. You can find the Orange ones on the ground after a practice reload. I can load 7 in my LCR-22 quicker than I can load 5 in my 442.
http://tuffproducts.com/

Speed Loaders: Speed Beez makes a dedicated 22 Speed Loader for the LCR-22. It is slick!! I got the package with 2 each Speed Loaders and a 4-Banger Loading Block. It is a little Salty however I see no way to wear it out. I rate it worth the expense. It will load up 2 ways. One you can manually place all 8 rounds in the Speed Loader one at a time like a conventionbal Speed Loader. Using the 4-Banger Loading Block. You fill up all 4 sets of holes in the Loading Block. You hold the Lower Body of the Speed Loader and push it down over the shell rims. Loaded just that quick. To reload the LCR-22 start the shell noses into the chambers and push down on the Speed Loader top knob.
http://speed-beez.webstorepowered.com/

Speed Loader Carrier: You have a couple choices. Modify a Safariland CD2 steel Speed loader Carrier to fit the Speed Beez loaders. OR Have a holster maker who works in Kydex make you a couple.

Holsters: I am carrying mine in a Lobo Enhanced Pancake with Optional Inner Hammer Shield. I instructed Ray to NOT Bone the Cylinder Flutes. It will also carry your LCR-38 or LCR-357. Great holster, I have 9 of Ray's holsters at the moment. The wifes dedicated LCR-22 holster is a Lobo Full Flap for retention trail riding her horse. It is a great Field Holster.
http://lobogunleather.com/

Improving the Trigger: Pick up a case of 550 Pak's and try and wear it out. The trigger should smooth out a little, and your trigger finger will be in the best shape of your life.

Ammo: Shoot some of what you carry. My LCR-22 works fine with Stingers. They are just a little stiff to eject. Velocitors lock it up on the first shot. You do not need to figure this out someday when you needed it to work. If you carry Premium Ammo in it, shoot some of it and make sure it works without issue. I have been running bricks of Federal Bulk Pak through mine. The LCR-22 loves it.

The LCR-22 is a Great Practice/Training Tool. You can shoot it till your trigger finger bleeds, and you have not hurt your budget much at all. The 22 LR works out great for Training due to the fact it does not Recoil much. You may be jerking the trigger on your 38, and not realize you are doing it. If you jerk the trigger on an LCR-22 you and everyone watching knows it. No recoil to mask you jerking the trigger. If you want to master shooting a J Frame airweight 38, the LCR-22 is the easiest and cheapest way to get it done.
You can practice Weapon Presentation, drawing from the holster.
You are working on Trigger Control, Sight Alignment, Confidence, and Building Up your Trigger Finger shooting it.
You can practice Quick Strip Reloads with the Tuff Products 22 LR Quick Strips. Reloading the LCR-22 works exactly like loading an LCR-38.

And best of all, you can get the wife to put in Trigger Time with it. You will not get most ladies to shoot many rounds through an airweight J Frame size 38. I got the wife to shoot a couple hundred rounds through the LCR-22 at one time a while back.

Whats not to love.

Bob

dennie

Bearcat
Emaho, I had my first experience with the LCR22 last night. Friends came over last night for supper and a little shooting. Husband and wife both have their CCW. A while back husband bought both he and wife the LCP .380/laser. Because of the sharp recoil the wife gave up trying to shoot the gun. She hated it, and let hubby, and everyone around, know that! When the couple came over last night the husband brought along a new LCR22 that he bought her. Maybe, hubby should let the wife pick her gun herself. Just sayin'. After supper we set up a target for her. After a shaky cylinder full all over the target, and a little encouragement from us, she settled down and started improving. After shooting 4 cylinder fulls she was keeping most of her shots within about 5-6" at 10yds. She also was loading and emptying the cylinder on her own, and seemed to enjoy it! :shock: She already told us that she would carry this gun and keep it handy around the house. :D I know it is "only" a .22, but at least she will have it with her.
The gun does have a stiff trigger pull but that should improve with use. I shot a cylinder full and was impressed with the gun's accuracy and ease of use. I just recently bought a used Taurus M94 or I would be looking for a LCR22 right now!
dennie